Lou&percy :)
Nosipho
Harley
7 posters

Go down

Bees Empty Bees

Post by Harley Fri Oct 26 2012, 06:50

Weird topic, I know.

It's Spring in Sydney and the bees are out doing their thing. Problem is Harley (Mr OCD) hates them and continually tries to eat them. He has actually swallowed a few and I'm petrified he will get stung and have a bad reaction.

So my question is has anyones dog been stung by a bee (or any other insect for that matter) and what was the reaction.

Harley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Bees Empty Re: Bees

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26 2012, 06:54

Think there's been a few on here though not me personally , swelling up of the face etc and ending up with a piriton tab to treat , though best to ask your vet for advice next time you see him for any sort of treatments

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Oct 26 2012, 09:10

Brandy, Tali's sister was stung by a bee and had a bad reaction. Her face swelled up and we called her the bubble-wrap dog for about 2 days! Best thing to do is to have some liquid piriton on hand. Antihistamines are the best bet for a bad reaction.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Fri Oct 26 2012, 09:19

Percy tried to eat a wasp a few weeks ago and got stung on the lip, the nasty wasp left his sting in his lip too. I removed the sting with tweezers and Percy had a swollen lip for about 3 hours and was very sleepy afterwards....I used a cold compress to reduce the swelling and after a good sleep he was fine Smile

Didn't stop him trying to eat one the very next day thou....silly pup Big Grin

X

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bees Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Fri Oct 26 2012, 09:36

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will be administering some first aid soon. I was observing him this afternoon and what he does is bites them in half in one snap without getting stung He is the Mr Miyagi of the dog world. Lol.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Oct 26 2012, 11:46

Pixee is always trying to eat the bees in a playful way and spits them back out, lucky for me she has not yet been stung! I would go with the above advice.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 26 2012, 12:05

The link below has some useful info in there about bee stings:

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/en-gb/dog-adult/bee-and-wasp-stings.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Fri Oct 26 2012, 16:49

Daisy was stung by a wasp a couple months ago, i reacted horribly I brought her inside, was scared unsure of what was gonna happen, brought out the benadryl and tryed being doctor. she just wanted to go back out and play some more.
wentzer
wentzer
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bees Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26 2012, 17:22

Dempsey was stung a couple of months ago - we had a buff tailed bumble bee nest in the garden. He yelped & came inside, then went back and sat staring at the nest! Idiot dog.

He didn't have any bad reactions though - just a bit of a lump where he'd been stung.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Mon Oct 29 2012, 08:18

Caryll wrote:Dempsey was stung a couple of months ago - we had a buff tailed bumble bee nest in the garden. He yelped & came inside, then went back and sat staring at the nest! Idiot dog.

He didn't have any bad reactions though - just a bit of a lump where he'd been stung.

Lol, well the inevitable happened. Harley got stung, not once but twice. First time on the lip and then on the foot. Funny thing is he didn't even yelp, and went back for more, wouldn't even let me remove the stings. Thank god he didn't react. I can now rest easy when he is out on his bee eradication missions.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 08:39

Hi I am in Sydney too, and although the weather is great right now the bees are everywhere.. I saw a program on foxtel just last week, it was one of those Animal Cops ones, where they save pets that are being mistreated.. Anyway, there was a homeless woman living in a tent with her dog, I think it was a rottweiler and 4 pups that were about 2 weeks old.. They were attacked by a swarm of bees, all the dogs passed away Sad including the adult, full grown rotty.. Since seeing it I have been trying to rid my yard of anything that attracts bees..

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Mon Oct 29 2012, 08:49

Kat75 wrote:Hi I am in Sydney too, and although the weather is great right now the bees are everywhere.. I saw a program on foxtel just last week, it was one of those Animal Cops ones, where they save pets that are being mistreated.. Anyway, there was a homeless woman living in a tent with her dog, I think it was a rottweiler and 4 pups that were about 2 weeks old.. They were attacked by a swarm of bees, all the dogs passed away Sad including the adult, full grown rotty.. Since seeing it I have been trying to rid my yard of anything that attracts bees..
Scary stuff. I was petrified every time I saw my boy chasing those bees. My brother is allergic to bee stings and he needs to get medical attention whenever stung. I'm so glad Harley does not react this way.

Harley

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 10:20

Yeah I think these ones were a killer bees, a it was a swarm of them.. Different species than we have here thankfully... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:39

Ralph was stung in the summer by a wasp he was trying to eat. All one side of his face swelled up.

Ralph has hayfever so was on piriton anyway, so wasn't much else I could do other than make sure it didn't affect his breathing which it didn't.

My mates boxer was stung badly and had to be rushed to the vet as her windpipe started to close due to the swelling, so it's best to keep something to hand just in case.

Ralph didn't learn by the way, weeks later he was after another one and had to be told to leave it alone!
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down