Extremely Heavy Puppy!

3 posters

Go down

Extremely Heavy Puppy!  Empty Extremely Heavy Puppy!

Post by Vicki29 Fri Sep 20 2013, 14:04

My lad is 8 months and he weighs 19.3kg's.  I haven't measured him yet as he won't stand still for a second.  He is quite tall and he definitely isn't overweight, his body is quite narrow, but he is so heavy!  I was reading that the breed standard is up to 17kg and mines smashed through that already.  His dad was quite big but I've heard people saying that they tend to grow upwards for the first year and then fill out after that.  If Jerry still needs to fill out then I can't imagine what weight he's likely to get to.  We were wondering whether he has some irish in him as they are generally bigger but he's got his papers etc and they claim he's a normal english staffy.  When he runs past me when we are out for a walk he sounds like a horse galloping lol Laughing

Last edited by Vicki29 on Fri Sep 20 2013, 14:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Terrible Spelling!)

Vicki29
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jerry
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Extremely Heavy Puppy!  Empty Re: Extremely Heavy Puppy!

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 14:23

I am sure it will all even out as he grows. It may be a spurt and then steady. Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 14:37

As inez says I'm sure he'll even out over the next year or so Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 16:21

Is he registered?

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Fri Sep 20 2013, 17:51

My pup was 17kg this week in the vet's and is 6months 1 week old,im guessing yours is normal as mine will be about that weight when hes 8months old,iv really no idea what weight they should be,i like many people here just feed them what they need to be fed and then check there weight by eye sight.

He looks a normal shape to in your picture,thats the most important thing Smile
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 18:19

Im going to assume your dogs not KC registered, in which case you can't know what the actual parent breeding is. There could be any large breed in there, making your dog much larger than standard - so normal staffy standard won't apply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 18:26

Vicki29 wrote:My lad is 8 months and he weighs 19.3kg's.  I haven't measured him yet as he won't stand still for a second.  He is quite tall and he definitely isn't overweight, his body is quite narrow, but he is so heavy!  I was reading that the breed standard is up to 17kg and mines smashed through that already.  His dad was quite big but I've heard people saying that they tend to grow upwards for the first year and then fill out after that.  If Jerry still needs to fill out then I can't imagine what weight he's likely to get to.  We were wondering whether he has some irish in him as they are generally bigger but he's got his papers etc and they claim he's a normal english staffy.  When he runs past me when we are out for a walk he sounds like a horse galloping lol Laughing
Hi , there is no thing as an Irish Staffy , this is just a name used by unscrupulous breeders to sell dogs that are xbreed or out of standard
Did you see both parents when you got him ?? He is on the large side but you can just get dogs outside of standard , really you need to see how he develops over the next few as he matures

Caryll wrote:Is he registered?
Hayley wrote:Im going to assume your dogs not KC registered, in which case you can't know what the actual parent breeding is. There could be any large breed in there, making your dog much larger than standard - so normal staffy standard won't apply.
OP quotes has papers as above Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 19:18

Sorry, I missed that bit!

Well, to be honest, he would appear at the moment to be so far out of standard that I'd just guess that no thought has gone in to size with the breeding. But if you don't want to show him, it really doesn't matter! I'm sure you'll still love him no matter what size he is!Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by TB-G!zmo Fri Sep 20 2013, 19:40

From past experience, its a growth spurt. My bully was 65# @ 8mo.his ideal weight. And also, Summer time they tend to loose weight and eat less, Winter they gain weight eat more. so it fluctuates.

As far as papers, my sbt has a Limited papers, not allowed to breed.
TB-G!zmo
TB-G!zmo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down