maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered?

3 posters

Go down

maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered? Empty maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered?

Post by ardvark Fri Apr 22 2011, 22:26

Hi all Milo is ? 4.5 months old ish and too young just now to neuter. Our vet said past 8 months as with this breed you don't want dominance to be an issue, Ceaser's book says from 6 months as you don't want he dog to suffer from the discomfort of wanting to mate, my husband was thinking of a year so he can bulk out. I'm lost! Our old boy was neutered when he came from rescue to us and was 14 months old then. I have been reading it takes 18 months to 2 years for staffs to physically mature and wondered what your thoughts were. Is it going to affect him maturing and filling out if he is neutered at 6 months or a year plus?? Do any of you have un neutered boys?

ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered? Empty Re: maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered?

Post by gem Fri Apr 22 2011, 22:56

I dont think your boy will not bulk out if you have him neutered before age 2. Genetics will determin how your dog will be when older.
My bitch is neutered and was done at 3 she was a lovely shape before and when neutered seemed to put a lot of weight on.
My boy isnt neutered?
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered? Empty Re: maturing & what age should a staff ideally be neutered & are all your boys neutered?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 00:50

This is a thorny question & you will get a lot of different answers, I'm afraid!

I don't recommend neutering before a dog has matured. Although, as Gem says, a dog's shape is determined by genetics, those genetics in turn are dependant on hormones!

I'm not saying that your dog won't be a strong, beefy staff! However, if you neuter too early he may not reach his full potential.

P.S. My boy isn't neutered - he's 2 years old. I've never neutered any of my male dogs & never had a problem with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:31

Phew......Only had girls so not any help Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 11:18

this is a subject that we are looking into soon as billy is just over six months, we have decided to wait until he is over 1 year and look at it again, only because he has only one ball and the vet said to wait until he is just over a year to see if the other one appears, so we thought we would kill 2 birds with one stone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 14:52

lynne wrote: so we thought we would kill 2 birds with one stone.

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 17:10

Smile

didn't realise what i had done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 17:21

Jethro was desexed at around 6 months.. he didn't seem to suffer any ill effects.. people say he is a solid looking boy.
He will be 12 in June...it certainly hasn't hurt him any.... and a bonus is he still mostly squats when he does a widdle.. so cute !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down