When is play too rough

5 posters

Go down

When is play too rough Empty When is play too rough

Post by brutusindubai Wed Sep 18 2013, 16:47

Brutus is now 18 months and its been a while since he has had a social run with other dogs. There are two reasons for this. Firstly summer in the Middle East reaches 48c so it's hard to find other dog walkers. Secondly, I have become over protective of him since a few folk kept saying he is aggressive when playing. I never saw it as aggressive, rather than rough house play. We would step in if he was too rough and give him a few minute time out, but I never saw him bite, growl or pin other dogs. He would run and bowl them over or play chase, behaviour I saw as normal.Brutus has never shown these signs and the only person who used to love having him play with her dog, a lab x saluki, has recently gone home to Spain.

My question is when is play deemed too rough and time to stop? Is it when the dogs is constantly pinning a dog down and they bark and growl at each other?

Cheers
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

When is play too rough Empty Re: When is play too rough

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18 2013, 17:20

That depends on you, your dog and what you are comfortable with.

For example I leave the boys to it, as i know them and i know what is play what 'would' be fighting. They have never faught but play rougher then i've ever see other dogs.

Both being male helps with that i think Rolling Eyes but they bark, growl, bite (alot) pin each other, Chance throws harv with his scruff and so on. Yet this is alllll still playing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18 2013, 17:21

Oh and don't forget bullies play very very rough, it's just how they are Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18 2013, 19:09

I think the time to step in & stop the play is when one of the dogs looks uncomfortable with it, or looks nervous & is trying to get away. You might also want to steo in if you feel your dog is getting a little too excitable - but only you can know your dog well enough to know when that moment comes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18 2013, 20:39

I second and third Ella and Caryll's comments. Some dogs enjoy boisterous play, and some don't. Also some dog owners don't understand dog play and prefer that their dogs walk quietly without any interaction between their dog and one's own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Sep 18 2013, 22:13

I dont let mine play with dogs that are inclined to just race and chase. When marley, laska and riley get playing it sounds like a war has broken out. Biting legs and scruffs and growling like hell hounds. You can crank it up a little when paddy the gsd joins in with the deepest loudest growl and bark of all of then. But we know its all just fun for them. It looks nuts but if one yelps they all disperse compose themselves and get stuch in again. The smallest dog to join in is elsie a jrt cross staff who just barks and shoulder barges the other dogs and they all leave her alone lol. The looks we get sometimes are crazy but we know our dogs and what is and isnt play. Its great exercise and a good outlet for there energy
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by apple_ashley Wed Sep 18 2013, 22:16

Lynda wrote:I second and third Ella and Caryll's comments.  Some dogs enjoy boisterous play, and some don't.  Also some dog owners don't understand dog play and prefer that their dogs walk quietly without any interaction between their dog and one's own.
That's how most if the owners around here are. Especially at the dog beach where to dogs are allowed off the leash. But they have their dogs on the leash and give me dirty looks because my dogs are tackling eachother over and barking at one another. I have even had owners pick up their dog and walk in another direction Sad they mean no harm!
apple_ashley
apple_ashley
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi and Sargent
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : both male =)
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:55

It's a great pity isn't it, Apple. Their dogs are losing out on so much fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Sep 19 2013, 11:11

Whenever my cousins dog and Zeus are together, we let them get on with it, growling, jumping, barking etc. The only time I ever step in is when either of them bare their teeth.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Thu Sep 19 2013, 16:48

Good to hear that most folk have a similar thought process as me. Funnily enough, a lady with a gsd saw me playing tug with Brutus in the park today and asked if she could come over. I leashed Brutus and she came up saying how friendly he is and how much he enjoys playing. Brutus was sitting wagging his tail in such excitement im sure he cut the grass. Next thing both dogs were all over each other having a good play. Hopefully we have found him another play friend to have a good date with.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19 2013, 17:07

goldie87 wrote:Whenever my cousins dog and Zeus are together, we let them get on with it, growling, jumping, barking etc. The only time I ever step in is when either of them bare their teeth.
see i don't step in even then when teeth are bared which is every 2 seconds as that's still play with these two

Back to top Go down

Post by apple_ashley Thu Sep 19 2013, 18:50

ella wrote:
goldie87 wrote:Whenever my cousins dog and Zeus are together, we let them get on with it, growling, jumping, barking etc. The only time I ever step in is when either of them bare their teeth.
see i don't step in even then when teeth are bared which is every 2 seconds as that's still play with these two
Maxi my Catle X and his best boyfriend thumper (staffy) bare teeth and they have a grand old time. However the sound of the teeth clunking is the worst!!!
apple_ashley
apple_ashley

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi and Sargent
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : both male =)
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Sep 19 2013, 23:30

Mine sound like they are killing each other (just so you get a frame of reference). They love it and I can def tell when it is getting serious (happened a couple times when Monte got hurt [this means blood] - such a sissy that he loses his temper). They always stop when I tell them like I mean it.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down