Rough play!

4 posters

Go down

Crying Rough play!

Post by brophski Fri Feb 01 2013, 21:08

Took sky to my parents today (12 weeks), for the usual visit. My parents are hopefully looking after the dog whilst I'm working as they love dogs. However mum has three Yorkshire Terriers. One is really old, and growls so Sky just gives her space and ignores her. The second one is tiny, but pretty much tells Sky to back off, and Sky never argues the toss. Lastly there is Ellie (6 months old). To begin with Sky would play with her nicely. However they still play but Sky yesterday and today kept biting her fur, causing her pain. Sky even clamped down on her ear today and I had to force her mouth open.

Basically I've been told I can only take her down with a muzzle on. None of the play is aggressive, and all fun. Sky just seems to play a little too much for the other dog, which doesn't seem to stand its ground. Is there any training tips or things I can do to make Sky respect the dog a bit more, i.e play but less force full?

Quite upsetting really, as I need my parents on side. Last thing I want to do is injure there dog, when they are just playing.

Thanks

James.
brophski
brophski
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Rough play!

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 01 2013, 23:23

I am not sure what to advise really. It might be just because Sky is still a baby so is excitable and learning the boundaries. I think it will be difficult with your parents dogs being a toy breed because they are less robust and don't play like staffy 's tend to.
I don't know any training tips other than time out and separation. Taking her round to play little and often or meeting somewhere nuetral perhaps.If she gets too rough a firm no and separate them?
Hope someone with more training experience can help ! Smile
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Fri Feb 01 2013, 23:37

I am so sorry, i really wish i could advise and i really feel for you, but on the bonus side your mum is still willing to furbaby sit if muzzled and give her her due that is still brave since the yorkie's are small and a staffy landing on one would hurt, it hurts me when Cassie lands on me, so kudos to your mum, but other than that sorry hope it all works out Sad
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Feb 01 2013, 23:40

I would advice to have so much time together then when it gets 'rough' then have time out....tyke and my sisters staffy can get pretty rough not in a nasty way and we have to let them have time out......have you read up online as if you can find a positive read or may be get to come join us this may help the situation out with your parents and you? as there her babies you can understand a little with regards to the muzzle which i would not advice for such little one...........
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 00:01

She is learning bite inhibition and how to play with other dogs. Really the only way to learn this is by doing it. If you are able to socialize her with other dogs that would help. If not let them play and if it starts to get aggressive seperate them and have her sit until she is calm before reintroducing them

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Sat Feb 02 2013, 00:41

Thanks for all the responses. Really is a good bunch of people on here :-)... I'm going to nip to pets at home tomorrow and pick up a muzzle. I know she isn't aggressive one bit, just plays the staffy way of 'hard knocks' lol. I'm going to spend as much of the weekend as possible letting them play and giving her time out if she is aggressive! A behaviour I'm sure I will have to repeat a million times. With regards to the little muzzle its just going to be used by my mum if she feels her behaviour is getting out of hand. I'm hoping it's something that can be used as a training aid more than anything , and my mum assures me she won't be left with it on all the time.

With regards other dogs, I'm taking her to my friends who had a massive German shepherd puppy (male) so hopefully this will introduce her to much bigger dogs and the way to behave, then Sunday my other friend with four spaniels! Basically anybody I know with a dog :-)

In about 1.5 weeks I should be able to walk which will hopefully zap some of her energy

I do have a few questions that I'm unsure about!

With regards to letting them play and having time out etc, how long should the time out be!? Is until she calms, or is there a rough time?

How should I do the time out? I.e do I put her in another room!? Both dogs , or just my dog?

Lastly which house should I do all this. Obviously my house will be easier, but it's Sky's domain. Or do I continue doing it at my parents? I only ask as it will be easier at mine
brophski
brophski

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 04:04

I only seperate them until the dog has calmed down. Suki will still get a little out of hand every once in awhile. We seperate her and have her sit and then when she is calm we let her play again.

Dogs are territorial so she is likely to be a bit more aggressive in her own home rather than outside of the house

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down