Help! Going backwards in toilet training?

4 posters

Go down

Help! Going backwards in toilet training? Empty Help! Going backwards in toilet training?

Post by Jasminesmum Tue Aug 27 2013, 14:49

So Jasmine has been doing so well. She got the jist of going in the designated 'rough' area outside the back door really quickly, and were doing the usual repeating the phrase " go wee wee" and giving masses of praise after.
She really quickly realised this was her toilet and started to go there even if we went supervising her!

We are still doing this now after play, dinner, sleeps etc, and she usually goes. However, just lately she has decided that as well as go on the stones on her area, she is going to go on the patio, the grass, the path, in fact anywhere she pleases! I scold her with a firm "no" when she does this, and place her on the stone area, and she knows this is het toilet. But she is doing this after she has been on the stones, and I am at a loss as to why, and what I can do to correct this?

Any advice or words of wisdom appreciated!

Oh, she is 9 weeks by the way x
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Help! Going backwards in toilet training? Empty Re: Help! Going backwards in toilet training?

Post by Maria90 Tue Aug 27 2013, 14:55

I would suggest going back to basics with toilet training, supervising all toilet times and as much outdoor times as possible! Rocky did this a lot at the start, but took some time to realise he had to go in the one general area, he took on really well!
She is only 9 weeks, so still a little pup! She has plenty of time to adjust and she will pick it up again in no time!
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Help! Going backwards in toilet training? Empty Re: Help! Going backwards in toilet training?

Post by otisthestafford Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:01

I am sure someone will be along shortly with much better advice but remember she is only 9 weeks and bladder control doesn't fully develop until they are much older and it sounds like she is doing extremely well to being what she is.
From my experience we did go backwards with toilet training, it just takes consistency and eyes in the back of your head Laughing You need to if you can catch them in the act so they put the act and you telling them no together.
You can get sprays that give off a scent which will encourage them to go in a certain area so maybe that might help.
But by the sounds of it she is doing very very well, so don't worry too much just remain consistent.
Also maybe give her a treat if she is going in the right place to help cement it... But do expect little hiccups Smile

otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:18

Thanks guys. I'm sure you are right. I just got a little smug about how clever our little girl is lol! And she is, but your right. I must remember she is just a baby:-)
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:25

At 9 weeks she still has a lot of time to go. especially as a lot of it is association and at that age she really hasn't had that much time to take everything on board. shes going outside which is the most important thing at her age.
They also go through phases, and I'll give you heads up that they can completely forget everything between 6 and 11 months and decide to do it in the house again. Back to basics fixes it in no time, not all dogs will do it but it seems quite a few do.

Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:30

Thanks Nathan. I can't remember as it was years ago our last staff was a pup! I have a son called Nathan. Great name:) x
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:44

Lol thanks, it seems to be getting more popular.

Its all to fresh in my mind... but thank god they are well over it now. the low point was opening a door and noticing the new brown arc on the carpet. Laska had left me a little sloppy present right behind the door sick  She was sitting there with a look only a dog could give when they are saying "Sorry please don't be mad"
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Tue Aug 27 2013, 15:48

Awwww I know that look. But it is truly gross when they leave you with a little home coming gift lol
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Tue Aug 27 2013, 17:04

Nathan wrote:Lol thanks, it seems to be getting more popular.

Its all to fresh in my mind... but thank god they are well over it now. the low point was opening a door and noticing the new brown arc on the carpet. Laska had left me a little sloppy present right behind the door sick  She was sitting there with a look only a dog could give when they are saying "Sorry please don't be mad"
Been there done that Laughing Thank god it was laminate!
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27 2013, 21:23

Big Grin I dont want to s  The worst one is when they do it right outside the bedroom door at night & you don't see it until you tread in it!

Nine weeks is so very young - most pups don't get the hang of toileting outside (as opposed to inside) until they're between 10 and 20 weeks! Working on getting them to toilet in a specific area may take a bit longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down