Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate"

5 posters

Go down

Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate" Empty Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate"

Post by Wrigley Tue Jul 16 2013, 05:17

Hi All,

I've always read that staffies are relatively easy to house train, however, things haven't gone that smoothly. Wrigley started pretty well, and seem to quickly learn to go outside (via the catdoor) to pee, and even often went beyond the lawn (out of sight) to poo. All was going well. We put him outside at night (built a temporary kennel enclosure under the verandah that stretched out onto the lawn with a nice cosy doghouse). But then the "Australian winter" set in and I thought he might be old enough to sleep in the house in front of the fire rather than the rude 11pm shuffle from infront of the fire to outside to a cold bed. Things were going well, until the rain started getting the lawn wet. Then the "accidents" started. So he lost priviledge and had to sleep outside again when we went to bed. Then a couple days later, we'd try again and he would be okay for awhile. Then there would be another accident. Or he'd just pee outside under the verandah instead of the lawn! Or when left in the enclosure, he'd poo on the edge of the cement, "close enough" he reckons to the lawn.

I know he knows it is wrong to pee/poo in the house, or on the cement, because I just have point and gently to ask him what happened there? And he gives me the staffie sad sack look because he knows he's been bad. But he is seriously "delicate" about peeing on a cold wet lawn. Last night I took him out and he stood with 2 feet on the cement, and one foot on the lawn, balancing on three feet even though he still pees like a girl at this stage. And the other night at a bbq he went straight into my friends shed to pee instead of the lawn nearby- he'd been peeing outside most of the afternoon, but then their was a little shower of rain.

I hope this is just a phase???

It's not like he is scared of water/wet either, because he loves the beach and waves, and plays around the edge of the dams on the farm; I nearly thought he was going to try swimming yesterday.

(Yes, I clean the floor after accidents to remove the smell)
Wrigley
Wrigley
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wrigley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26/02/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate" Empty Re: Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate"

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 11:45

Dempsey can sympathise with him - he is also very prissy about getting his feet wet!

I'd just carry on calmly but firmly with the training & I'm sure he'll get there!

Back to top Go down

Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate" Empty Re: Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate"

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:09

Darcy feels his pain too as she hates rain/wet grass Laughing he's still a teenager and he'll get there with your time, patience and persistence Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:35

Rocky is exactly the same, I get what you mean with the Aussie winter setting in, Rocky puts two paws on the grass and two paws on the cement but still goes on the grass, he has tried a few times to go inside the house recently when he knows it is wet but we just keep trying, he will get there!
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 21:17

I wouldn't know where to start tbh as it must be confusing to be an outside dog with a free run and then an inside dog with more strict toilet manners so I will leave it to your fellow experts over there , good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Tue Jul 16 2013, 23:53

He definately knows right and wrong for inside, seems pretty smart overall. Last evening there was an accident right on his inside pillow- I think maybe he is playing then forgetting to go and then its too late??? He seemed upset and embarassed about it. Thanks for all for the encouragement, good to know others his age are still having accidents as well. We will patiently persist!
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ANGIEMARKYOUNG Wed Jul 17 2013, 09:23

Jenson's the same ... he goes outside lovely to toilet but the minute it starts to rain or it has been raining and the ground/grass is wet he decides to toilet inside where its nice and dry!!!
ANGIEMARKYOUNG
ANGIEMARKYOUNG
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Toilet training that has gone backwards due to wet lawn? "Delicate" Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Jenson
Dog(s) Ages : 8 mths
Support total : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu Jul 18 2013, 02:52

OMG this has been happening to us too...we call Bella 'prescious' because she doesn't want to get her wet paws on the grass. It was interesting reading people's responses to this for us as well. Although Bella is a month younger than your Wringey, we are from Aus too!! Interestingly, we find poo mess right on the paving next to the lawn and also on the deck under the verandah any time after there's been a bit of rain.
One of our rituals is before letting her inside we make her toilet first, however lately she toilets outside and then within a few minutes of being inside...WTF! Only when it's raining though. I've managed to stand outside with her and watch her go on the wet grass (even though she's giving me serious sad apples face) and after we go inside she does another one - what a sook!! But I love her to bits Love Struck 

It's a relief to know that others' experience this too as she's our first pup.

Lisa
Peachy
Peachy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26.03.13
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Thu Jul 18 2013, 04:07

Hi Lisa wave  We are practically neighbors, I am over on the Eyre Peninsula! Small world eh?  Since today is miserable weather I am sure you are having fun with the toilet training.  I have a friend at home right now that just msg'd me to say Wrigley has just lost a puppy tooth! I hope it wasn't because of the Bowser Biscuits I made last night. LOL

Last edited by Wrigley on Thu Jul 18 2013, 04:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : smiley didn't work)
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon Jul 22 2013, 01:46

Yes we are it seems - what a lovely spot in the world is the Eyre Peninsula! wave 

Mmmh Bower Biscuits - you'll have to share the recipe!! batting eyelashes 

It's been raining cats and dogs all weekend here and funny enough I haven't seen any piddles or poppies anywhere but on the lawn...what a fickle little thing! I think the persistence is paying off though because I've been standing with her in the rain and cold until she goes before we let her inside.

They are such darlings!

Keep warm in this cold bite!
Peachy
Peachy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon Jul 22 2013, 01:52

...I meant 'poopies' Blushing 
Peachy
Peachy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Mon Jul 22 2013, 01:58

Hi Lisa,

The Bowser Biscuits are from the doggie food recipes section on this website, the only thing I noticed was that the four cups of whole wheat flour was too much, I only used about 2 1/2 or so. I did crack my own farm wheat so maybe that changed something in the recipe. I also didn't use wheat germ. It makes a lot of biscuits so I froze half and I also gave some to the ladies at work with pooches. They are yummy according to Wrigley!

Wrig hasn't had anymore accidents lately either but then he's been put outside at night. We are going to try him inside overnight again tonight though, fingers crossed.

The weather has been miserable hasn't it...we've been heading to the beaches on weekends and occasionally after work. Doesn't seem as wet when you are walking on sand!
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sun Jul 28 2013, 05:31

He is still a baby and house training takes longer to click for some pups. He is probably confused because sometimes he is outside and can go where ever. Have you ever thought of getting a crate to put inside your house and have him sleep there instead? Dogs naturally will do anything they can to not "mess" in their crate..so just an idea. Be patient and continue with the house training and he will get there!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Sun Jul 28 2013, 09:31

He'd never sleep in a crate, the brat sleeps in front of the Woodstove or on the lounge . Smile He's been back inside for two nights, no issues, but it was also high moonlight so maybe he was a little scared of the dark as well even though we leave the porch light on. I don't think he is confused, I can tell by the look on his face he knows peeing in the house is wrong. There might still be the odd accident but j think he's figured it out. Next problem will be he won t fit through the cat door anymore ... We are going to have to chop out a bigger hole for him lol
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Mon Aug 12 2013, 04:04

To finalise this thread.

It's been a month since I fiirst posted about it. Clearly I was just a little impatient, as he is fine now. I reckon there was only the one other accident in the house then it was over. And he sleeps in the house every night, spoiled brat. The cat door is getting very tight now though, so now we need to renovate asap.
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down