how often and how long should i walk my staff

3 posters

Go down

how often and how long should i walk my staff Empty how often and how long should i walk my staff

Post by kelly-anne Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:15

hi been searching for the answer on here but i can't seem to find it. anyway. my staff is 7 years old. i take him out 3/4 times a day. the morning walk is about 30 mins. afternoon walk is about an hour. then the evening walk is 30 mins. if we do a 4th walk thats also about 30 mins on the shorter walks he either walks next to me and at certain parts of the walk he might trot a little on the hour walk thats a mix of walking and running throwing ball ect
kelly-anne
kelly-anne
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ghost
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

how often and how long should i walk my staff Empty Re: how often and how long should i walk my staff

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:19

That sounds like a good walking regime. Smile The general rule (which can be shifted slightly to suit each individual dog's needs) is to walk dogs for a total of about two/two-and-a-half hours per day. In addition, it's preferable for them to have play time/off-lead time as well.

Back to top Go down

how often and how long should i walk my staff Empty Re: how often and how long should i walk my staff

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:22

Sounds just about right! Obviously they all differ, some need more than others, but if he's happy with that then that's fine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:24

Agree with Eleanor . Unless there is really exceptional weather ( too hot or cats and dogs rain ) ours usually get 2 hours minimum ( 2 x 1 hr walks ) . Sometimes a lunchtime walk thrown in too for an hour if I am at home and they had a had 30 mins in the morning with my daughter.
Weekends normally 1 x 1 hr , and then a big walk of 2 hrs or so but always some good off lead time whan I walk them as mum and Jen are on lead only

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:28

if your dog is poo in the house you need to take him out in the morning longer Wink i would do an hour walk in he morning and 45 mins at night

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:33

Steve wrote:if your dog is poo in the house you need to take him out in the morning longer ;)i would do an hour walk in he morning and 45 mins at night

Good point - I forgot about your other thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 20:35

Caryll wrote:
Steve wrote:if your dog is poo in the house you need to take him out in the morning longer ;)i would do an hour walk in he morning and 45 mins at night

Good point - I forgot about your other thread!

She's already said though if she is leaving him for a long time then the walbe before will be an hour Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by kelly-anne Wed Aug 07 2013, 21:00

Lol yes he walks for an hour in morning if being left for long time.Big Grin and yes i have a couple of threads going. because i have never had a staff before and this site is ace. getting a staff scared me a bit to be honest but not anymore Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

anyway thanks for the replys seems like im doing the right thing
kelly-anne
kelly-anne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ghost
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 21:02

The only scary thing about staffords is some of the idiots who own them!Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07 2013, 21:03

Sounds like your doing great so far Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Aug 08 2013, 09:41

Yes this is a fab site, i have had lots of advice and tips from everyone on here...and have taken so much of it on board. Things arent perfect with Louby, far from it, but they would be worse if i hadnt got info from here.
Good luck xx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
how often and how long should i walk my staff Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Aug 08 2013, 09:56

Darcy-may wrote:Sounds like your doing great so far Smile

hes pooing in the house hayley not doing so great me thinks Wink

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08 2013, 11:15

Vinnie has 45 mins in the morning, 45 mins at lunch time, then an hour in the evening. I am lucky though as I can arrange my work around these times as I please.Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down