goldie87
Kathy
Mrs McFisher
13 posters

Go down

cost of a dog  Empty cost of a dog

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 09:49

Hello

Some may remember me from a few weeks ago when i looked after my mates staffie ? well ever since he's gone back there's been something missing here Sad i really really miss him Crying or Very sad and would love to give a unwanted staff a home , i can get around the weekends i go away where i cant take the dog as my daughter is 16 now and i should be able to trust her to stay here and let the dog out etc , but my main worry is cost , i can afford to feed one but its huge vets bills that put me off , i did a quote online for pet insurance which came back at £28 a month just seems one hell of alot of money , i have classic cars and its cheaper to insure them Surprised  i would just like your feedback on the costs of owning a dog , i have only ever had cats in the past and they have never really cost me nothing in vets bills never had insurance either but they never ailed either

Thankyou Mandy

Back to top Go down

cost of a dog  Empty Re: cost of a dog

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 10:00

Shop around, thats not the best insurance quote. Alternatively you can set up a direct debit to a savings account say £15 a month and that can be your insurance.

There is then jabs, dental care, bedding, ridiculous amounts of toys, leads and collars, poo bags and whatever they destroy to replace!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 10:05

Hi Hayley

Thats exactly what my mum does , she has a separate account for her dogs vets biuls should it need them , as she thinks alot of the insurances are cons

Thankyoiu for your reply

lol @ replacing whatever its destroyed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 10:09

Yeah i personally think it is a con. I save £50 a month and use it for all my lot if i need to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 11:25

miss npo wrote:Hi Hayley

Thats exactly what my mum does , she has a separate account for her dogs vets biuls should it need them , as she thinks alot of the insurances are cons

Thankyoiu for your reply

lol @ replacing whatever its destroyed

That's all well & good, but what if you get a huge bill before you can save up enough money? For example, when Dempsey was about 10 months old he contracted Giardia & was hospitalised for 3 days (£1500), then when he was about 18 months old he developed bloat (£2500). Plus, he's had several accidents which involved x-rays/stitching/tests etc, and all in all the insurance claims alone have been over £5000, and he's only 4 years old now! I wouldn't be able to afford £50 a month, but even that wouldn't have covered the cost. My insurance is about £25 a month & well worth the expense so far!

No, you may never have to claim, but that's the whole point with insurance - you just don't know what's round the corner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Aug 01 2013, 11:46

I have insurance for Louby at £27.11 p/m with Petplan. This is the most comprehensive one though, you can get policies with them that dont cover as much, or as long, but still worth it. Although straightaway they have excluded Louby for anything to do with her skin. When we found her as a stray and we took her to the vets for a check up, the 'bleeps' put on her notes, 'possible harness rub' which the insurance have taken that she had pre existing skin problems when we claimed for her mange and allergies.
We had a dog that died last year, he was 16 years old, he was never insured, and he got attacked by another dog, he had a broken leg and infections etc, cost us around £1500 althogether.
If anything like this happens to Lou (touch wood it doesnt), then i know they will pay out.
I have life insurance on myself, i hope to never claim, but if i have to then it will be a great relief to have money behind me.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
cost of a dog  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 01 2013, 11:48

Have a good look around on line for insurance quotes, I pay about £20 per month for Rocky who is a Staffy cross and insured as such. He has the Platinum policy from Argos with Lifetime cover.

Rocky recently cut his pad on his foot open quite badly which in the end cost over £240, I dont have that kind of cash spare, thankfully we had the insurance (who paid out within a week of receiving the claim form) to cover the vet bill and we wouldn't be without it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 11:53

Mrs McFisher wrote:I have insurance for Louby at £27.11 p/m with Petplan. This is the most comprehensive one though, you can get policies with them that dont cover as much, or as long, but still worth it. Although straightaway they have excluded Louby for anything to do with her skin. When we found her as a stray and we took her to the vets for a check up, the 'bleeps' put on her notes, 'possible harness rub' which the insurance have taken that she had pre existing skin problems when we claimed for her mange and allergies.
We had a dog that died last year, he was 16 years old, he was never insured, and he got attacked by another dog, he had a broken leg and infections etc, cost us around £1500 althogether.
If anything like this happens to Lou (touch wood it doesnt), then i know they will pay out.
I have life insurance on myself, i hope to never claim, but if i have to then it will be a great relief to have money behind me.

Hi

It was petplan who i got the quote from Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Aug 01 2013, 11:58

I went them because it was through my vets. I got the first month free, plus i think they have some arrangement wth my vets where the claims are supposedly sorted out alot quicker and the vets trust them to pay up etc. Although i dont know this first hand yet, as the b*ggers have refused to pay out for Lou, cos everything that has been wrong with her has been to do with her skin!!!
On the one hand im cursing them as they wont pay out for her skin, but on the other hand i cant not have it incase anythign else happens to her.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
cost of a dog  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:11

Agree with Caryll, insurance isn't a con, it's there for when you need it most and peace of mind, especially with large vet bills.

Regarding costs:

It cost me around £150 to get his crate, bedding, collar + lead when I first got him and I still use the same.

I pay £13 a month for insurance with MoreThan (Lifetime cover, not the cheap one). His food/treats cost a maximum of £50 a month and then you have the toys which I'd say are around £10/£15 a month (on average).

I recently took out a statement from my vets which showed I spent approximately £600 in the first year I've had him, that covers all his jabs plus the number of times I've been to see the vets (including medication) when he's been ill (mainly due to Zeus having Colitis) and the odd grass allergy.

When I first got Zeus, spending that amount of money, especially at the vets used to hurt me, but now, I honestly do not care (and I'm the only one that works in my house and pays for Zeus, so I'm not minted). No amount of money can replace the love, fun and sense of well being you get when you have a dog.

Last edited by goldie87 on Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:15; edited 1 time in total
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:12

Mine is maximun benefit (around £4K I think) and is £13 a month.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:16

Do the prices go up as the dog gets older can anyone tell me ? also will it go up alot if you have alot of claims ? and do they insure older dogs , sorry for all the questions but better to no than to go in blind and then realise the cost

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:20

miss npo wrote:Do the prices go up as the dog gets older can anyone tell me ? also will it  go up alot if you have alot of claims ? and do they insure older dogs , sorry for all the questions but better to no than to go in blind and then realise the cost

Yes, unfortunately they do go up. I renewed my pet insurance a few months ago for Zeus's second year. Morethan bumped the price up to £16 a month, but I complained and said I weren't going to carry on with them, so they moved me back to my original price. It's really a case of shopping around but be prepared for the increase. Morethan explained that the increase was due to increasing vet costs and because Zeus was a year older.

Alot of insurance companies stop insuring dogs after the age of 8/9, which is why its crucial to find 'Lifetime' cover (another reason I chose Morethan). They will continue to insure Zeus for the remainder of his life, for any illness he has. For example, if you get the basic cover out and Zeus gets diabetes, they'll only cover for that year of insurance, and when I renew for the next year, they won't cover the same illness. However, with lifetime cover, aslong as I keep renewing and paying my insurance, they'll cover all his life.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:29

Thankyou Goldie , yes the quote i got was for lifetime , i somehow had it in my head that they wont insure the older ones so thought the lifetime would be the safest option

if there's anyone on here that have older dogs and have been paying for many years be interesting to see how much your payments are and how much they have gone up

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie3 Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:17

Insurance is a god send, I would never be without it!

My first dog Toby when he was about 8 months old ate the head of a disposable razor. 5 razor blades had to be removed from his stomach, at 2am on a Sunday morning!! The bill came to about 1500 in total.
Both my dogs have also been bitten by adders which resulted in vet stays and more bills. I can also recommend the lifetime cover as well because Toby had to be tested for Addisons disease at one point which would have affected him for the rest of his life and if the insurance wasn't lifetime cover it would only have covered that illness for a year. (luckily he doesn't suffer from it).

We're about to get our new pup and will definitely be insuring him. Use the comparison websites to find a cheaper quote, as long as it's everything you need from insurance that's all that counts!

Rosie x
Rosie3
Rosie3

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 01 2013, 15:09

goldie87 wrote:
miss npo wrote:Do the prices go up as the dog gets older can anyone tell me ? also will it  go up alot if you have alot of claims ? and do they insure older dogs , sorry for all the questions but better to no than to go in blind and then realise the cost

Alot of insurance companies stop insuring dogs after the age of 8/9, which is why its crucial to find 'Lifetime' cover (another reason I chose Morethan). They will continue to insure Zeus for the remainder of his life, for any illness he has. For example, if you get the basic cover out and Zeus gets diabetes, they'll only cover for that year of insurance, and when I renew for the next year, they won't cover the same illness. However, with lifetime cover, aslong as I keep renewing and paying my insurance, they'll cover all his life.

We have lifetime cover for Rocky, so the above applies, honstly wouldn't be without it.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 17:13

I would never EVER be without dog insurance IMO it isn't worth the risk if you haven't got loads of disposable money like us

For example I got harvey in march 2 years ago. In June he got a grass seed stuck in his throat, i'd insured him from day one and the bill came to over £600 in the end my insurance paid up and we didn't have to worry about the cost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 17:20

Yes. All insureres understand that the older a dog gets, the more likely it is to have something wrong. Most of them will insure normally until abou 6 or 7 years old, but will then say that you pay the excess, plus a certain percentage of the total vet's bill, and that percentage will increase every year. Some insureres won't insure a dog over 7 or 8 years old unless you're already insured with them, and i's straightforward renewal.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:40

Insurance aside as it has been coverd so well above. Think treats, worming and initial costs like grooming tools that are pretty much a one of cost. Tbh it isnt that expensive to own a dog, I own two and I pay premium for food but everything else except worming, insurance and poo bags is a luxury and they get if I can afford it. I have flea treatment available should I need it but wont cover em chemicals each month...two years not one flea and prior to that with other dogs ive had ive only ever had to use it once about 10 years ago. My dad is currently having same dilemma as you and I had an hour chatting to him the other night about why a dog would be good for him. My mum is pestering him too lol I think a rescue staff would do him the world of good. He is leaning towards it as both my and my bro have dogs and he loves em. Hes just at the stage where he remembers the last dog dieing and how much it hurt him, weve had em in the family for years so im sure I can work on him lol.
Go for it mate it will be the best decision you ever make. And we are all herr for you should you need help
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:47

i will freely admit i have to run a pretty tight budget, but its comfortable

insurance (John Lewis top level, with a claim last year and a recent calim this year) £24 a month
good quality "budget" food (Skinners field and trial) £25 every four to six weeks
treats £5 a week absolute tops
poo bags £2 for 100 at pets at home
leads £50 in the last three years, but most got eaten...
collars £10 a year for a basic one
jabs £30 a year
worming £6 a month
flea treatment (optional) i have some, but havent used it for a long time, and never had a flea problem
toys £3.70 every other week (only tennis balls will do, 37p each at sports direct Big Grin)

and in return you get wiggly bums, supid noises, endless love and affection, hours of fun and cuddles... the list goes on.
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:53

ella wrote:I would never EVER be without dog insurance IMO it isn't worth the risk if you haven't got loads of disposable money like us

For example I got harvey in march 2 years ago. In June he got a grass seed stuck in his throat, i'd insured him from day one and the bill came to over £600 in the end my insurance paid up and we didn't have to worry about the cost.

just to add to this, my ex didnt believe in pet insurance, just careful ownership. didnt stop his dog eating a pack of ibuprofen, and costing me over £1000 (plus credit card charges...)
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:57

Nathan wrote:Insurance aside as it has been coverd so well above. Think treats, worming and initial costs like grooming tools that are pretty much a one of cost. Tbh it isnt that expensive to own a dog, I own two and I pay premium for food but everything else except worming, insurance and poo bags is a luxury and they get if I can afford it. I have flea treatment available should I need it but wont cover em chemicals each month...two years not one flea and prior to that with other dogs ive had ive only ever had to use it once about 10 years ago. My dad is currently having same dilemma as you and I had an hour chatting to him the other night about why a dog would be good for him. My mum is pestering him too lol I think a rescue staff would do him the world of good. He is leaning towards it as both my and my bro have dogs and he loves em. Hes just at the stage where he remembers the last dog dieing and how much it hurt him, weve had em in the family for years so im sure I can work on him lol.
Go for it mate it will be the best decision you ever make. And we are all herr for you should you need help

now this another thing that crosses my mind , the pain of losing one , i had a cat for about 15 years and was heartbroken when he died , i think it would be worse with a dog as there more like little ppl ?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Aug 01 2013, 22:00

Ha ha, you budget, go for it! Moo had crap insurance and I now have a condition I have to pay for.....still love her Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu Aug 01 2013, 22:04

this is possibly one of the greatest descriptions of owning, and a great way of saying what dog ownership is about.

i'm sure most of you know "My Dog: The Paradox"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

do it. it'll be the best mistake you ever make Big Grin
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Aug 01 2013, 22:51

miss npo wrote: now this another thing that crosses my mind , the pain of losing one , i had a cat for about 15 years and was heartbroken when he died , i think it would be worse with a dog as there more like little ppl ?

The answer is that it hurts yes. It it worth it? Yes. The amount of love that you share with a dog is something you can't describe beforehand, can't replace ever, but something you should never avoid.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Aug 01 2013, 23:50

miss npo wrote:
Nathan wrote:Insurance aside as it has been coverd so well above. Think treats, worming and initial costs like grooming tools that are pretty much a one of cost. Tbh it isnt thaot expensive to own a dog, I own two and I pay premium for food but everything else except worming, insurance and poo bags is a luxury and they get if I can afford it. I have flea treatment available should I need it but wont cover em chemicals each month...two years not one flea and prior to that with other dogs ive had ive only ever had to use it once about 10 years ago. My dad is currently having same dilemma as you and I had an hour chatting to him the other night about why a dog would be good for him. My mum is pestering him too lol I think a rescue staff would do him the world of good. He is leaning towards it as both my and my bro have dogs and he loves em. Hes just at the stage where he remembers the last dog dieing and how much it hurt him, weve had em in the family for years so im sure I can work on him lol.

now this another thing that crosses my mind , the pain of losing one , i had a cat for about 15 years and was heartbroken when he died , i think it would be worse with a dog as there more like little ppl ?
True but you cant let it stop your enjoyment of dogs mate. My last boy snuggled into me and crapped himself before sighing and going to sleep. If I am honest like you owning another was a heart wrencher and I tossed and turned over the decision for a few
days. Im glad I did now and wouldnt be without either of them. Had you said "nathan youll have two dogs in three years times" id have said sod off no way I couldn't deal with that and now I have twihusky cross staf nutballs.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by m1sslea Fri Aug 02 2013, 12:55

I have the superior plan with Pdsa for Skye and it costs £10.08 per month which I thought was very reasonable. If you go to comparethemarket or gocompare or websites like that you can put all the information in and get prices from all the big names in pet insurance. With regards to other costs, we buy the biggest bag of dog food (around £30) but it lasts around a month and we treat her with toys a lot, but you can make your own - there are loads of things ranging from a coconut, socks, an old pair of jeans tied in knots... Etc. As long as you have the means of paying for any health costs (i prefer an insurance plan, but some people just have a separate savings account) I wouldn't say owning a dog is all that expensive. If you buy a good quality lead, collar and bed to begin with they should last a good while. Goodluck! A dog will be your best friend for life so make sure your prepare for some hard work at the beginning andit will be worth it in the end!
m1sslea
m1sslea
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 07/05/2012
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sun Aug 04 2013, 03:47

Pet insurance is a must! Most people can't come up with large amounts of money if something goes wrong and the dog becomes sick and needs treatment! Especially if you're on a tight budget its best to get the pet insurance, it may seem like a lot to pay per month but its the responsible decision and ensures you will be able to get your dog the correct care if needed!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 04 2013, 22:45

About 15 years ago I had good whole-life insurance for my Dobermann and never had to claim on it.

I had money troubles which I won't bore you with, and the bank manager told me to scrap the insurance, which I did. Two months later, my dog got diagnosed (at some personal cost - blood tests etc) with thyroid deficiency, and had to have medication for the rest of her life at a greater monthly cost than my insurance premiums.

Great saving Mr Bank Manager! Not.

I have whole life cover for Kuchar with M&S for £15 per month, and no bank manager on earth will persuade me not to.

Back to top Go down

Post by doggle Sat Aug 17 2013, 06:00

For those on a budget:
http://www.easipetcare.com/
I got my staffy's first 2 vaccinations for just £25

doggle
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Sat Aug 17 2013, 06:52

It hurts to loose them. When I lost Tim I wasn't going to get onother dog. But for the two hours I sat at her breeder's kitchen table between Tip and her mother; I walked out of that kitchen after laying a deposito on a two day old puppy.

Its been twelve weeks and having Tip makes the pain a little better. She is my very first Bull Terrier. She is not a replacement for my best boy, she is Tip and helped as a household to get over the crushing hurt.

I like to believe Tim is looking down from the Rainbow Bridge and that he is glad we got her. They cost us but the unconditional love and the fun they bring into your life is a wise investment.
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 18 2013, 22:28

nicolene Iveson wrote:It hurts to loose them. When I lost Tim I wasn't going to get onother dog. But for the two hours I sat at her breeder's kitchen table between Tip and her mother; I walked out of that kitchen after laying a deposito on a two day old puppy.

Its been twelve weeks and having Tip makes the pain a little better. She is my very first Bull Terrier. She is not a replacement for my best boy, she is Tip and helped as a household to get over the crushing hurt.

I like to believe Tim is looking down from the Rainbow Bridge and that he is glad we got her. They cost us but the unconditional love and the fun they bring into your life is a wise investment.
Well said Nicolene. I'm so glad that Tip is helping heal your loss, and I'm sure Tim would approve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down