How does your dog behave on walks?

4 posters

Go down

How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket35%How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket 35% 
[ 6 ]
How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket41%How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket 41% 
[ 7 ]
How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket0%How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket 0% 
[ 0 ]
How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket24%How does your dog behave on walks? Pbucket 24% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 17

How does your dog behave on walks? Empty How does your dog behave on walks?

Post by Steve Wed Sep 01 2010, 11:38

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

How does your dog behave on walks? Empty Re: How does your dog behave on walks?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 02 2010, 10:58

She walks off lead most of the time.She doesnt walk beside me,but she doesnt walk off far ahead.Shes very good and waits when she gets a bit far ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10 2010, 18:44

He walks beside me all the time unless i say chill. Which is his command for going where he wants until i call him back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11 2010, 21:31

very good on the lead i have to say walks beside me all the time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 17:22

memphis has been good as gold on his lead but for the last few days he will not walk more than 10 feet without stoping and sitting and has to be coxed to go anywhere so if it takes half hour to go somwhere it takes 15 mins to get home as he the complete oppisite when going the way home think hes just trying to push his stubben streak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 17:36

Crying or Very sad im gutted! Ty after 6 months of being an angel is just completley out of control. Pulling is an understatement....he's like a tank. He has an ezy dog shock absorber lead usually which is brill by the way if anyone does own a bit of a puller but its not just the pulling like a tank he just does his own thing jumping up at people, crossing infront of me and zig zagging.....We've litterally just got back from pah and have had to by the shortest chain lead u can imagian as he needs to be right by my side so ive got totall control! I just dont no whats happened to him....
Kaos is a little angel though :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kallie Sun Sep 19 2010, 19:36

Bailey is okay on the lead.. it took her a while and we had to swap between the harness and the choke collar to get it down. Her only problem now is that she will walk very far ahead of us which doesnt bother us but can un-nerve some people.
Kallie
Kallie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by daisyszoo Tue Sep 21 2010, 21:39

Olive walks really well on a leash only pulling at times when she sees someone she thinks should pet her or another friendly dog. It's easily corrected though with just a tug and she remembers she is supposed to walk with me. She pulls more for other people that are walking her, which we are working on

daisyszoo
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Olive
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 22:49

Bandit was great, he'd walk to heel, come back when called (as long as I kept him within a radius of about 50 feet!) and generally an angel!

Dempsey.........aaahhh, Dempsey........he'll walk well enough UNLESS.........
1. He sees a cat
2. He sees another dog
3. He sees a squirrel/mouse/hedgehog/duck etc, etc, etc.

Then he puts his full weight against the collar & LUNGES! Not easy to hold on to. >Smile

Also, if he's been running around & he's a bit tired he'll just lay down & not budge. It isn't easy getting a 26kilo dog to stand up when he doesn't want to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddyjo Wed Sep 22 2010, 10:56

Buster has been a nightmare in the past! I tried the halti harness which worked for a while then when we started back at pup training they said to use a half check collar. Worked great for a while. But after weeks of really bad pain in my elbow and arm and shoulder I knew I had to get this cracked. I feel we are getting somewhere now just by stopping every time he pulls, but this is almost impossible when he sees people or other dogs and wants attention. The worst of it is when we are taking him to the beach and we just cannot get his attention, tried stopping, tried turning back, tried the check on the collar, nothing works! He pulls his full weight to get there!!! HELP!!!!
Toddyjo
Toddyjo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 11:33

when you walk your dog, you should hold the lead firmly in your right hand, the dog should walk on your left side so you have the lead crossing your body. this enables you to have control over your dog. let your dog lead you for the first few moments so that he fully understands that freedom can be his if hes goes about it properly. he already knows that when he wants to go outdoors the lead and collar are necessary, so he has respect for the lead. now, if he starts to pull in one direction while walking. all you do is stop walking. he will walk a few step's and then find that he cant walk any further. he will then turn and look into your face. this is the crucial point, just stand there fora moment and look right back at him. now walk another 10 feet and stop again. again your dog will probably walk to the end of the lead, find he cant go any further , and turn around and look again, if he starts to pull and jerk just stand there. after he calms down, bend down and comfort him, as he may be frightened. keep up this training until he learns not to out walk you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 11:55

Something else I found works with some dogs is you keep him on the left with the lead in your right hand (standard obedience practice!) and let him walk ahead. Suddenly turn and walk the opposite direction, at the asame time saying "(dog's name) heel" and just keep going. Everytime he pulls ahead repeat this action. It'll take you ages to get anywhere but he'll soon get fed up & will want to watch you more carefully. Once he's watching you, he'll notice when you turn & he'll turn with you - that's when you give loads of praise - he's cracked it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down