Help with Otis please

4 posters

Go down

Help with Otis please Empty Help with Otis please

Post by Otissmummy Fri Jul 19 2013, 19:18

I have a few issues with Otis that I'm struggling to cope with and I'm at my wits end now with his behavior.

1. He is still having accidents in the house while we are at work and also in the mornings or through the night. It's intermittent but annoying none the less. He most of the time asks to get out. He is regularly let out and given ample opportunity to go toilet. We have a dog walker who comes and takes him out during the day while we are at work, my question is is it too late to start crate training now. He will be one year old in August.

2. He is displaying signs of worrying dominancy. He tries to get taller than me & husband when wanting attention or being told off by barking and jumping on furniture like chairs or window will and stands erect. Eventually he will back down when husband doesn't back down but he really is testing his boundaries. He has snapped at me a couple of times when I have told him off for something. He has good bite inhibition but it worries me he still uses his mouth at all.

3. He barks. At everything. I've tried everything. Would a crate perhaps work for this as well? I'm thinking he may be anxious as he barks for attention as he doesn't like his own me time or if someone comes to the door etc.

4. He has taken an instant dislike to a dog on our street that he has never encountered as far as I'm aware but we were out the other night and his hackles went up and started growling and barking. I have never seen him act like this before ever.

Otis really is my baby and he is good with his obedience and does sit, lie down, high five, wave, crawl, up and a few others so I know he aims to please but is very treat focused. He walks well on the lead and is a delight with his recall but the points above are driving me and my husband crazy.
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Help with Otis please Empty Re: Help with Otis please

Post by Sazzle Fri Jul 19 2013, 21:20

Hi Claire, I'm afraid I'm not going to be lots of help here but I'll try my best.
In regards to the toilet training, I would go back to basics, do you have a toilet phrase? If so when he starts to do his business say your phrase over and over for the duration then when he's done lots of praise, hopefully he'll start to grasp it properly.
I'm afraid I haven't crated so I don;t know if that will be the answer to you any of problems.
In regards to barking you can try and teach the quiet command but I know that's easier said than done. What about trying to get his attention focused on you when he barks?
With the dominancy I'm sure like you say he is just testing boundaries so I would be consistent and firm.
If he is treat focussed use that to your advantage with training him. Personally I don't think that's a problem if it gets him to do what you want, esspecially at first, then you can phase the treats out.
I'm sure someone with more experience can provide some more help soon x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 19 2013, 21:37

I can kinda only speak from my experience, what walks is he getting when he toilets in the house, does he have toys etc, could he be doing it almost out of stubbornness as you leave him and he sounds almost overly mothered by you (sorry not sounding harsh).

As for a dislike to certain dogs when walking well thats quite common with us, she is on lead and knows where they live....on the opposite side she knows where the dogs are where she gets a treat....

I don't think you have much to worry about, just a dog in training and don't give in to a nicey nicey approach, sometimes you have to be firm Smile Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 19 2013, 21:39

Sorry just to add I have never crated, but its certainly not too late to try depending on how long you are planning to leave him in it Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jul 20 2013, 10:40

In regards to the dominance, Rocky was very much like this, if we were stern with him, he would bark and jump on the lounge, or snap at us, this was quickly fixed with a lot of ignoring him, the minute he did that, I wouldn't give him any attention, not even telling him no, as I found the more we tried to stop him, the more he tried to test his actions with us. I would walk away from him or turn your back and say nothing and see how it goes.

I've never crated so im not much help with that, but with the barking we bought a horn from a bike shop, its not that loud but when he barks too much like when someone is at the door or he barks for attention, we squeeze the horn and he stops.

Dogs like people, don't like every dog they see, I wouldn't worry about this too much, just try to distract him when you are walking past the particular dog.

and with the toilet training, as Sazzle said above, I would go back to basics! Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down