+3
Kathy
janey
interlopr
7 posters

Go down

Sad Help.. Dry kibble for puppy

Post by interlopr Thu Jul 18 2013, 04:29

Hi all, I'm having a hard time finding some "Good" Food Chino enjoys eating!

Foods I have tried are..

Advance

Canidae

Earthborn Holistic

Nutro Natural Choice

He simply refuses to eat anything unless it's the Advance pet food which is what he was weaned onto.. I've been trying to get him off Advance because it's full of fillers and want to get him on a good quality food..

He was on wet+dry but have converted him to dry only and he has seemed to get a bit skinny.. or he had a growth spurt.

He is currently 10.5 weeks old

Can anyone shed some light.. or is all I can do is to keep trying different foods.. It is costing me a fair bit of money but I want what's best for the little one!

Thanks all!

EDIT: Forgot to add, I've been slowly mixing in other brands of food with the Advance and he literally just picks out the Advance kibble and leaves the rest..

interlopr
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Help.. Dry kibble for puppy

Post by janey Sat Jul 20 2013, 10:39

Hi there, its been so long since I had a pup but this list might help....

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 11:16

Several people on here including myself feed our dogs a raw diet.
Have you looked into it? Here is a link provided by one of our members Ella to give you a guideline

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

If you aren't sure about anything then just ask away and someone will try and help

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 20 2013, 13:12

I take it you are in Australia therefore some of the foods on our recommended list may not be available to you. Try going for the best quality you can afford and stick with it.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jul 20 2013, 13:34

hi,

Im in Australia, I feed Rocky on the Nutro, we have tried quite a bit, from Supercoat, Advance the holistic stuff, Eukanuba, Hills, the lot, there were quite a few he also didn't like, then finally Nutro he would tolerate. If he wont eat anything else, I would try some tinned sardines over the kibble to give him a bit more interest in it and see how he goes on the new kibble, especially to disguise the new kibble going in the mix when you are in the transition period.

Are you going to keep Chino on dry kibble only? The link Mike posted about raw feeding is excellent and very informative if you are wanting an alternative Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jul 20 2013, 13:38

Sorry I forgot to mention, a lot of dry kibble available to us have a lot of fillers etc, there are quite a few that Pets Paradise stock from the U.S that only they have the rights to sell, that are apparently pretty good quality, im not sure what they are though, so if you have a Pets paradise near you, maybe give them a call or drop in and find out Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sun Jul 21 2013, 01:59

Maria90 wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention, a lot of dry kibble available to us have a lot of fillers etc, there are quite a few that Pets Paradise stock from the U.S that only they have the rights to sell, that are apparently pretty good quality, im not sure what they are though, so if you have a Pets paradise near you, maybe give them a call or drop in and find out Smile

Please, whatever you do don't support pets paradise! Pet's paradise get's their puppies from some of the biggest puppy factories in the country and on multiple times have I walked passed on a hot summer day and they don't even have a bowl of water and none of the puppies move.
All food they sell you can find online as well, or in a petshop that does not sell puppies and support rescue (such as petstock or petbarn)
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help.. Dry kibble for puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sun Jul 21 2013, 06:03

Annie and Maxi wrote:
Maria90 wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention, a lot of dry kibble available to us have a lot of fillers etc, there are quite a few that Pets Paradise stock from the U.S that only they have the rights to sell, that are apparently pretty good quality, im not sure what they are though, so if you have a Pets paradise near you, maybe give them a call or drop in and find out Smile

Please, whatever you do don't support pets paradise! Pet's paradise get's their puppies from some of the biggest puppy factories in the country and on multiple times have I walked passed on a hot summer day and they don't even have a bowl of water and none of the puppies move.
All food they sell you can find online as well, or in a petshop that does not sell puppies and support rescue (such as petstock or petbarn)

Didn't realise this, as my local Pets Paradise doesn't sell puppies/kittens any more, just birds, fish, and products.
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 12:58

Not sure of which country you are in, however I know here in Australia brands such as Canidae have a palatability guarantee ... buy it and if they do not like it you can return it to the store for a full refund (usually 7/8 days after purchase). Any pet store will usually be able to this for you as it is covered by the makers of the food itself.

Canidae is a great food, and they do grain free which is fantastic. Artemis is another brand that is fantastic if you can come by it .. it is Australian made and 5 star Smile Again though, what is available to you will depend on the country you are in!

Have you had a look at this link? It is an easy to read version of the dry dog food reviews ... http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/ The more stars, the better the food (... even if you can't get the brands, it will give you a good idea of what you should be looking for)

Last but not least, if you are here in Australia, be aware of issues with imported dry dog foods Smile

Last edited by Kell on Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:10; edited 2 times in total
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:06

Maria90 wrote:
Annie and Maxi wrote:

Didn't realise this, as my local Pets Paradise doesn't sell puppies/kittens any more, just birds, fish, and products.

That's good at least, unfortunately their VIC stores still sell puppies and I have seen them in horrible conditions Sad
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help.. Dry kibble for puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:10

Ohh Sad that is terrible Sad Don't understand how they are allowed to treat animals like this
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by interlopr Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:17

Thanks for all the replies everyone! And yes I am in Australia Smile

I'm currently researching this forum for the best way to go about starting raw with Chino, He's currently on dry only from Advance!

I'll also take a look at all the recommendations in that list and see what I can find in Australia!

interlopr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:24

If you have a look through the diet and nutrition areas there are lots of questions on starting raw feeding .. even one or two from us Australian raw feeders with what we can get and where Smile

Not sure if you have seen them yet, here are a few links to get you started though

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t38693-delivery-day-lots-of-photos

www.preymodelraw.com
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by thefyst Wed Jul 31 2013, 23:42

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-15kg-Premier-Puppy-Chicken-Rice-Hypoallergenic-Complete-Dry-Dog-Food-/380445470773?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item5894513035

Blue loves this stuff ..30 kg probs last 4/5 months too so its a great price
thefyst
thefyst
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years

Back to top Go down