Food aggression

2 posters

Go down

Food aggression Empty Food aggression

Post by Foulds69 Fri Jul 12 2013, 16:00

Hi I'm currently living at my parents who have a 15y/o springer she has gone blind and partially deaf so wen she smells food she wants to come and see wat it is and if its for her I was feeding my pup diesel the other day and she obviously came sniffing wondering wat it was she came within 6 feet and he flew at her now a few years ago she would of defended herself but she old and brittle now so she just yelped and dint try anything it only happened for a split second as I'd grabbed him straight away I then took his tea away so he knew he'd been naughty its a tricky situation with her circumstances and condition as she is only
Curious if u shout load enough she willeave it but not always and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to change this behaviour she is now currently shut away whilst he is eating but It's not the way I'd like it to be he shows no sign of aggression towards her any other time was just this one time

Foulds69
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Food aggression Empty Re: Food aggression

Post by lordmickey Fri Jul 12 2013, 16:08

I can imagine being with the unfortunate impairments this is one thing she wants to really keep hold of. Quite often feeding 2 dogs needs to be seperate for this reason, and i think it could be intensified by being mainly blind. The old saying "when one sense diminishes the others improve", and with a dog having such sense of smell anyway that food is going to tingled the nostrils something else. Give her something to nibble on/ chew while you feed puppy maybe?
lordmickey
lordmickey
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Food aggression Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Murphy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 12 2013, 16:14

Has he ever shown any sort of food aggression/possessiveness before?

Back to top Go down

Post by Foulds69 Fri Jul 12 2013, 16:23

Thankyou for the advice think that's gunna have to be the way we have just recently lost our other springer the pair had been together for the hole 15 years and always got fed together just a shame these two coildnt have the same bond and yes she's always had a good nose was a working dog for many years so those senses were always great

No Caryll never shown anything like this before

Foulds69

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by lordmickey Fri Jul 12 2013, 16:31

I think the unfortunate departure of her best friend will be one of the main reasons bud
lordmickey
lordmickey
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Food aggression Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Murphy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 12 2013, 19:42

lordmickey wrote:I think the unfortunate departure of her best friend will be one of the main reasons bud

But that wouldn't make the pup aggressive.

I've never fed two dogs together anyway, their bowls have always been on opposite sides of the room & supervised so that either of them could be stopped from pinching the other's food!

Really, she should have been gently restrained from sniffing at his food, but he also shouldn't have had a go! Maybe in future, feed them opposite sides of the room, and make sure that you're there to step in if she decides to go sniff!

Id get him used to you putting your hand in his bowl, maybe taking a handful of food out & then putting it back in so that he doesn't get the idea that it's ok to warn you off as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foulds69 Sat Jul 13 2013, 12:00

Hi Caryll thanks for the advice she never actually got to close was at least 6 feet away wen he decided to go at her, I do that quite alot with his food and its never been a problem with him I can put my hand in wen he's eating and he never even bats an eye lid I think ill just have to keep them at a good distances at feeding time

Foulds69

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down