can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk?

5 posters

Go down

can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk? Empty can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk?

Post by asa-james Tue Jul 09 2013, 22:58

i was telling the boss today how i managed to get Lola to paddle in a small river on our walk yesterday evening, it was still pretty warm and its a freshwater shallow slow river, so she can have a quick drink and a splash to cool off.

"you want to be careful doing that, if they get wet like that on a hot day they can overheat and it's really bad for them"

never heard of this before, any truth behind it?
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk? Empty Re: can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:00

Not heard it before, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can offer help Big Grin

Back to top Go down

can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk? Empty Re: can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:02

They can I the water is then exposed to the sun. It heats up. They cool down with water but only if they then go Into the shade. Humans burn much more in the water than out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 09 2013, 23:28

personaly i would say heat transfer through the water would be greater than the soak taken in by the sun. yes if they were bald like humans it could be bad but guard hairs keep the sun away from the skin. both my two have a husky dad and they love a cool dip in the river and come alive afterwards. they have blown there undercoat like many dogs will have at this time of year and as long as there is a breeze they are fine. they also have a very complex heat transfer system running through the legs with cool and warm blood running next yo each other to regulate core temps in hot and cold, even the fat is different to the rest of the body to help with temp regulation.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 00:32

Either way they can overheat

A greyhound I know died 2 days ago from heat stroke, went for a nice shaded walk lots of water but didn't make a difference still collapsed and died Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 09:57

Sad

I just don't walk in this heat, lexi can't cope with it and her wee paws would get sore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jul 10 2013, 10:51

I agree, some dogs cant cope in this hot weather, Pixee being one of them, ever when we walk in the woods, I always carry her drinking bottle. Best to not walk the dogs, or just keep them short and gentle with plenty of play in the house without overheating them.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:15

Ella, that's horrible about the greyhound Sad But yes they can overheat either way, best to keep them out of the heat as much as possible, they cant handle it as well as we can.
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:40

If your dog can't cope with the heat then it won't matter much if they're wet or not, they'll still overheat; it isn't the sun so much as the humidity & temperature. Mind you, if they're wet & there's a breeze it'll cool them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:40

If your dog can't cope with the heat then it won't matter much if they're wet or not, they'll still overheat; it isn't the sun so much as the humidity & temperature. Mind you, if they're wet & there's a breeze it'll cool them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:46

It's bad to put them in a bath of really cold water to cool them as the temperature difference can induce shock and kill them Straight Face 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 11:59

Chiara wrote:It's bad to put them in a bath of really cold water to cool them as the temperature difference can induce shock and kill them Straight Face 

Yes, if you're going to use a bath to cool them down, there should only be a couple of inches in the bottom, and then just splash the water over their body.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 16:51

In this weather it won't hurt for them not to get a walk everyday, keeping them cool is much more important especially if they don't cope well.

The boys have been for a walk today as it's cooler, but they haven't been out for the last 3 days, and they haven't missed it. All they have done is chill round the house and sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Wed Jul 10 2013, 17:40

My back door is left open for Boss to go sunbathe then when it gets a bit hot he comes in and lies on the cold tiles in the kitchen Smile also got him a small paddling pool from tesco for £1.50 Tongues
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
can dogs overheat if they get wet during a walk? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:16

Mine haven't been out so much or for so long and only earlier and later , no midday walks, Tommy copes much better than Tilly but still suffers none the less , better safe than sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down