Puppy Biting - advice required!

5 posters

Go down

Puppy Biting - advice required! Empty Puppy Biting - advice required!

Post by Mandyb Sun Jun 09 2013, 11:18

Hi everyone! This is my first post! I will introduce myself properly soon, but meanwhile I have been reading the Puppy Training section, regarding biting. I particularly am interested in responses regarding this: "Your puppy will probably continue to bite, but his bites should now be 'softer' as he's beginning to learn how much bite is enough to allow the fun to continue, and how much bite will stop play..." This is an excerpt from the article, and what I want to know is this...Harley IS still biting, but at 14 weeks, is beginning to soft bite/mouth my hand - should this also be stopped? I don't actually mind him doing this, but, of course if allowing this sends mixed messages, I can appreciate that it will confuse Harley!
Mandyb
Mandyb
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : It's complicated
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy Biting - advice required! Empty Re: Puppy Biting - advice required!

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 11:29

Some owners allow biting in play as it is natural. Most owners who know they will be around kids etc don't. It is entirely your decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Jun 09 2013, 17:25

Personally as long as they have learnt bite inhibition I'm happy to let daisy mouth a bit, as part of play.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 17:44

Darcy has learnt when it's acceptable bite during play and how far she can go, I very rarely have to say no Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 19:10

It's a personal decision. We stopped my old boy's nipping completely, but then he started to softly 'mouth' when he was getting a fuss. Didn't bother us at all & we let him do it, but he wasn't allowed to do it to strangers - we'd just say "Ah, ah!" if he tried to do it & he'd stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 21:57

Hi Mandy and welcome!

As Caryll says, it is a personal choice, but at 3 months Harley is doing very well in learning to soft bite/mouth when playing or being petted. It may possibly get more forceful when he starts teething, so don't get disheartened - he won't be too old to disregard the sharp yelp (from you) and turning of the back, and then give something soothing to chew instead of your hands!

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Sun Jun 09 2013, 23:01

Like everyone has said it's your decision Smile

Otis doesn't mouth now unless he is pretty excited, in which case we only have to tell him no, kisses and he will start licking us. We don't want him to mouth as he does come in to contact with children so we have made the choice to stop him from doing it as much as we can.

So it's up to and what you comfortable with - Sounds like he is doing pretty good for 14 weeks Smile
otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by pattitxbda Tue Jun 11 2013, 18:12

We experienced this with Marley as I'm sure a lot of others have. She learned very fast that it was not cool to bite and now all she does mouth. Just hang in there as you will have to go through it again when teething starts.
pattitxbda
pattitxbda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley, Tilly
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years and 10 months, 1 year and 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 20:18

Vinnie only mouths also when excited in play I allow so much but a firm "No" and he stops. Sounds as though its improving greatly Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jun 11 2013, 22:10

One thing I recommend is that you stick with the methods and don't expect the results to be quick. I believe that as with people dogs learn at different rates. Bacon took and extremely long time to improve with his biting. Just don't get frustrated and rest assured that it will get better!

Regarding play biting, I allowed Bacon to continue play biting even after his bite inhibition phase was done. I regret this decision as he now thinks that he is free to play bite everyone including my house guests, children, etc... I know realize that a staffy that play bites is not welcome by most people! Now i'm working on not having him bite so often and it's much harder to remedy as he is older. Just a personal opinion and not the law. Some people may have good experiences but if I had to do it again I would have nipped play biting much sooner.

Good luck with the training!!!
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 02:01

At that age I stopped ALL mouthing and biting.. But now at 11months we allow play biting/mouthing as she is quite aware of how hard is tolerated (most the time Rolling Eyes ) and she always stops on command.. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down