Biting Advice

Go down

Biting Advice Empty Biting Advice

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 18:08

Loki is around 8 weeks old, so I know chewing and biting is what puppies do, but when he's in a hyperactive mood, he growls at me and bites me a lot when I get him away from chewing something else he's not meant to chew. It's getting really frustrating because not only is it painful, but it worries me that I'm just not assertive enough and he won't listen to me, which doesn't make for a good owner when your dog is older and stronger. Not to mention, it doesn't seem like puppy biting or playing, it feels more like he's being serious or trying to be dominant. But the thing is, when he's calm, he's very submissive in his body language, he follows behind me without being told to, sits at the door and waits for me to go through first, etc. It's literally just when he's hyperactive. I'm hoping this is just pent-up energy that will be solved when we can take him out on walks, but does anyone have any advice on how to be more assertive with him? I'm told him no, I've been training him "leave it," putting him outside to ignore him for a few minutes, etc. He just doesn't listen to me when he's in that mood. Like I said, I know he's just a puppy, but even puppies can't be allowed to bite people at will, so I'd appreciate any advice on training, but also how to make him listen more when he is like that. I know it's not just a case of raising your voice, there's more to it than that.

Back to top Go down

Biting Advice Empty Re: Biting Advice

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 09 2012, 18:46

Please have a read of the info sheet below for advice on puppy biting or rather not biting:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stopyourstaffypuppybiting.html
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 19:20

.....and please remember that he's still a baby & that what he's doing is instinctively natural. It will take persistent & calm training to get him to stop. I'm afraid any training that curtails a pup's natural instincts takes a little time to sink in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 19:41

Thanks for the link, Kathy, I'll just have to keep being persistent with it.

And don't get me wrong, I know it's instinct for them to chew and bite, it's more that the growling and biting seem more serious than playful, so that was where the worrying comes from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 20:14

Believe me, we got some really blood curdling growls from Dempsey when he was a pup, but it really is play! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:27

Loki is far to young to show any signs of aggression. It's simply play and wanting to get attention

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 00:09

Thanks, that's reasssuring to know Smile persistence it is then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down