Some questions about RAW diet...

3 posters

Go down

Some questions about RAW diet... Empty Some questions about RAW diet...

Post by DawnieB Tue May 28 2013, 12:20

I am doing a lot of reading into feeding Lana on a Raw diet, I was going to wait until she was a bit older (she is about 16 weeks now) If I started her on Raw now how is the best to introduce her to it? Should I do it gradually, feed her a raw meal and keep her on kibble for other meals gradually increasing raw or just go for it? I recently just changed her kibble from Bakers to JWB so concerned about another change so quickly.

Also what kind of bones are suitable for a pup?

I still have to get over my nervousness over giving her raw chicken! with bones in!
She is a gobbler of food, I have to spread it across the kitchen floor to slow her down so I worry about her wolfing down food with bones in it.

Sorry for so many questions, but I don't want to get this wrong, it seems a bit daunting at the moment.

Thanks!
DawnieB
DawnieB
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : TBA
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Some questions about RAW diet... Empty Re: Some questions about RAW diet...

Post by Guest Tue May 28 2013, 12:37

To start off i would go to the butcher and ask for chicken scraps. You can give raw chicken skin and meat, and wings and necks. Stick to that for a while, then introduce richer meat such as pork and beef. lamb would be the richest i think.

I am not sure about how much to give, as she is a pup and will still need a few meals a day. Maybe someone else can help with that one Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Tue May 28 2013, 13:00

Chiquito had raw meat as a part of his diet from the day he came home, so changing him onto raw was I suppose more of a matter of taking the biscuits away rather than adding the meat in .... Ella and others are the best to ask about this though and I am sure they will be along with some advice shortly.

In regards to bones, Chiquito has lamb spine, turkey necks, chicken thighs and drumsticks and kangaroo tail. Chicken necks are too small, he swallows them whole and chokes on them .. for this reason i also avoid chicken wings but I know there are others here who feed one or both of these.

As for the questions ... I only recently made the change to raw and know exactly how you feel Smile Ask away I say!
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue May 28 2013, 13:44

My pup has been raw fed since I brought her home at 7.5 weeks old Smile

Start with chicken for the first week or 2, then add in tripe for a week, then pork, lamb, fish etc Smile Dont bother about adding offal till about the 6th week or so.

Chicken is the easiest bones for dogs to crunch and digest Smile if she's prone to wolfing food, youd be best to hold the end of the wings etc so she gets the fact that she has to chew and crunch!

My pup at 16weeks was fine with all parts of chicken (wings, carcasses, leg quarters etc) pork ribs, lamb ribs etc Smile

In regards to how much to feed, some people go by 10% of current bodyweight, which means regular weighing. I went with 2-3% of EXPECTED adult bodyweight I'd have her on 3 meals a day aswell at 16weeks.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by DawnieB Thu May 30 2013, 14:42

Thanks for the input! I have decided to start off with ordering some chicken mince from They Love It.co.uk, I see that is contains 15% bone...now can I still feed her some chicken wings/neck with this or is that too much bone?
DawnieB
DawnieB

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : TBA
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down