weight worry

4 posters

Go down

weight worry Empty weight worry

Post by Pestey Sun May 26 2013, 23:02

hope there is someone that can put my mind at ease here.

I have noticed a few staffs here that are over 12 months old and weigh around 15-18kgs, is this normal? I only ask this mainly because Diesel is only 18 weeks and is 18kgs!

I dont think he's fat because he's active as anything and is quite a big pup, (will have to measure his shoulder height)
he does pack away 750g of food a day easily, and still goes for three 40 min walks a day.

the vets have even said he's big in size but not in weight for his age. could we be looking at a very big staffie when he's full grown? or will it slow down anytime soon?
Pestey
Pestey
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 4months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

weight worry Empty Re: weight worry

Post by Sazzle Sun May 26 2013, 23:16

I'm not really sure but he certainly doesn't look fat in your avatar. They do come in all shapes and sizes! Daisy is a cross and very small.
In regards to the food I would just follow the instructions on it, if that is the amount is says then should be fine. The better quality food the less you need to feed.
In regards to the exercise, that sounds like alot for a 4 month pup? As I said I haven't had a pup but I'm sure it's about 5 mins per month? Sure someone else will clarify for you though.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 23:21

At 18kg at 18 weeks your staff is over standard as the breed standard for a fully grown staffy male is 13-17kg

Do you have papers for him? or is he a cross as that would account for his large size

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 26 2013, 23:26

Is a little over standard, but most are! As Ella mentioned does he have a registered pedigree? Love em all the same Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 23:55

My boy is 17 months old and weighs 20 kg.

I've met many Staffs since we got Kuchar - some adults are much tinier than him (all bitches, come to think of it) but most dogs are more or less the same size and weight as him. We did meet a lovely bitch the other day and she was much bigger in all directions than Kuchar, although still a typical Staff and not at all fat.

Diesel may well become a dog on the bigger side than average - or he may not, he may be having his growth spurt early. The important thing is that a dog, whatever breed shape or size, does not become overly fat. The dog's skin should be loose and elastic and roll easily over the dog's ribs, which you should be able to feel when you're rolling his skin back and forth over them.

Oh, and at 4 months old he will be full of energy, but please try not to over-exercise him whilst he is still growing - his joints just may become damaged.

It is very hard work bringing up a puppy and judging what is best for the pup in terms of food and exercise, so please do keep in contact with your progress with Diesel - there are many people on this forum much better qualified than I am to support and advise you. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 00:18

Well, he's certainly way over standard, but that can happen. Is he KC registered?

I wouldn't get hung up on his weight - if he's fit & active, not overweight, then his actual weight doesn't matter too much.

You say he gets 3 x 40 minute walks; what do these consist of? If it's purely on lead then it's far too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pestey Mon May 27 2013, 01:17

well thank god for that..........

his mum is a very big staff and has a bit of paddy in her (not sure if that's true though) and the dad is very very big also. Diesel is not kc registered and we did not get any papers with him, but he is from a friends bitch and we are in contact with them.

as for his walks, he gets one 40 min walk in the morning before his breakfast (7am) (on the lead), one at around 2pm off the lead down the local park so he can play with his friends Lola (the EBT) and Buster (jack russell)
then his last around the block that's about 2 miles at around 9:30pm to settle him for bed.

oh and his skin is very stretchy and rolls over his ribs as you say.

part of me hopes that the vets have got the weight wrong, really need to weigh him on my mums.
also how would be the best to size him up?
Pestey
Pestey

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 01:37

That is far too much walking on the lead to be honest, it is not goof for his joints.

There is no such thing as paddy in staffs so the size of your mum staff won't be because of that, it is just a cross breed.

Your boy is likely to be a crossbreed too.

So size him up you can measure him from the ground to the top of his shoulders

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon May 27 2013, 06:46

Pestey wrote:hope there is someone that can put my mind at ease here.

I have noticed a few staffs here that are over 12 months old and weigh around 15-18kgs, is this normal? I only ask this mainly because Diesel is only 18 weeks and is 18kgs!

I dont think he's fat because he's active as anything and is quite a big pup, (will have to measure his shoulder height)
he does pack away 750g of food a day easily, and still goes for three 40 min walks a day.

the vets have even said he's big in size but not in weight for his age. could we be looking at a very big staffie when he's full grown? or will it slow down anytime soon?

That sounds like a lot of food! What kind of food is that? When I fed dry I fed my 19kg girl 175-200g/day, this can vary from brand to brand though and could be up to double with some brands. Now that I feed raw I feed 340g/day. I do want her to loos a bit of weight, though otherwise I would be feeding around 400g/day (2% of body weight) to maintain weight. It might be right and if he looks fine then all good, just sounds like alot with 750g of food!

Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
weight worry Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Pestey Mon May 27 2013, 11:00

going on the 750g of canned food on the basis of 10% as he's a puppy still.

the can recommends 3 cans a day at 400g each for a 15-20kg dog, but I thought "sod that, that's way to much"
Pestey
Pestey

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 11:08

All dogs are different and grow different Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon May 27 2013, 23:45

Pestey wrote:going on the 750g of canned food on the basis of 10% as he's a puppy still.

the can recommends 3 cans a day at 400g each for a 15-20kg dog, but I thought "sod that, that's way to much"

I'm sure that's right then! Sorry I have never fed wet food so had no idea how much you had to feed! Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
weight worry Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Pestey Tue May 28 2013, 12:20

it's no problem, the main concern for me was his weight given his age and comparing to other members friends.......
Pestey
Pestey

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down