Picture of Harlem!!!

+3
CaraElizabeth
Kell
KingKane
7 posters

Go down

Picture of Harlem!!! Empty Picture of Harlem!!!

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:04

Finally i got around to posting pictures of Harlem. Could anyone tell me when his head is going to split? Hes only 10 months old. Big Grin

The 1st pic belong is of his parents. His mother on the left and dad on the left. that's harlem on the bottom row.

Picture of Harlem!!! Image10
Picture of Harlem!!! Image110
Picture of Harlem!!! Image210
Picture of Harlem!!! Image19
Picture of Harlem!!! Image310
Picture of Harlem!!! Image410
KingKane
KingKane
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Harlem
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Picture of Harlem!!! Empty Re: Picture of Harlem!!!

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:14

Nice looking boy, but I'm assuming he isn't KC registered? If that's the case, it's difficult to know exactly when he'll fill out, because you don't know what's in his background.

As to his head splitting - it doesn't! The muscles will grow & strengthen & they will amke that furrow on top of his head appear. But he's still very young, he'll probably stop growing upwards very soon & will then start to fill out.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:26

He is KC registered. Big Grin and yes thank you.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:31

I'm sorry, but if you're in the UK he cannot be registered, as he's a merle. The KC no longer register merle staffords.

If the breeder told you he's registered then he's either falsified the registration colour or he's lied to you. Either way, the registration isn't valid. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:36

I beg your pardon, the ban on merles came into effect at the start of this year, so his registration may be valid.

However, in order to get merle there will have been a cross somewhere in his background, so it's still difficult to say exactly how he'll turn out.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:39

Yes, none of parents are merle. His mother does carry the gene. Hes was born 2012 last year. I have paper with me now and his 5 generations KC paper work is on its way to me and should arrive any day now.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:42

Oh my god, his colour is amazing Surprised he's stunning. It looks like the shape of his head is already starting to change, so probably won't be long. Loki's looked absolutely flat for a while, like Harlem's does a bit, before it started changing again, so should probably be soon.

Please post more pics more often, he's beautiful Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:43

Plus im pretty sure KC only banned Merle to Merle. "The Kennel Club has announced today that 2012 will be the last year the club will register the offspring from two merle parents." - KC
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:43

I personally don't like to see merles in staffords. Don't get me wrong, your dog's gorgeous, but the merle pattern brings so many terrible health problems, and it doesn't occur naturally in staffords. It was introduced by cross breeding a few generations ago by unscrupulous people who thought it might look nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:44

I personally don't like to see merles in staffords. Don't get me wrong, your dog's gorgeous, but the merle pattern brings so many terrible health problems, and it doesn't occur naturally in staffords. It was introduced by cross breeding a few generations ago by unscrupulous people who thought it might look nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:45

KingKane wrote:Plus im pretty sure KC only banned Merle to Merle. "The Kennel Club has announced today that 2012 will be the last year the club will register the offspring from two merle parents." - KC

Not true, I'm afraid..........

"Merle to merle mating in dogs21-May-12

Following a recommendation from the Dog Health Group, the General Committee has agreed that, with effect from 1st January 2013, the Kennel Club will no longer accept the registration of any puppies for any breed that are produced as a result of mating two merle (dapple) coloured parents together.

The merle mutation is a dominant mutation that causes the characteristic merle or dapple colour pattern in a number of breeds. It is also known that there can be associated health risks in those dogs that have the merle mutation.

Many breeds have lived with the merle gene in their population and have avoided merle to merle matings for many years. Some breeds have successfully requested formal banning of such matings and the Kennel Club will not now accept any litter for registration where both parents are merle for Shetland Sheepdogs, Dachshunds (all varieties) and Beaucerons (although these are called tricolour).

In the breeds where merle is proven to not occur naturally, the Kennel Club will not register any dogs that are merle coloured – these include Chihuahuas (Long and Smooth), Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers and Bull Terriers (Miniature). In addition, the Kennel Club will not register litters from Chihuahuas where one parent is merle coloured.

Merle patterning, patches of lighter colour appearing in the coat, is the result of the M gene in the dog. There are two alleles of this gene: MM (merle) and M+ (non-merle), with merle (MM) being dominant to non-merle (M+). In some breeds, the effect of the merle allele (MM) is termed ‘dapple’.

Unfortunately, the effects of the merle allele (MM) are not confined to coat patterning and we know that there can be an increased risk of impaired hearing and sight associated with it, particularly in dogs that are homozygous for MM (dogs that carry two copies of the MM allele).

Due to the associated health concerns, it is not believed that serious breeders would intentionally mate a merle to merle but the commencement of this restriction in January 2013 allows breeders time to readjust any planned breeding programmes.
"

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:53

Hmmm, I understand why you don't but i think its gorgeous color at least him and his litter. No health problems because of his grandmother being merle. Harlem's mother was blue and his dad was tiger. So as far as im concerned as my vets hes health.

Picture of Harlem!!! Image-10
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 00:57

When i breed him it wont be MERLE to MERLE. I will bred him with my sister blue staff when i move back to America. Who knows i might not even. Big Grin hes still the sexiest staff in Suffolk. Big Grin
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:58

Maybe, maybe not. Health problems often don't show until later in life - hopefully he'll be ok.

However, I'm glad that no more merle stafford pups will be registered. It just isn't worth the risk of the health problems that can occur....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t20226-merle-colour-patterning-in-the-staffordshire-bull-terrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 00:59

Please don't breed him - the merle pattern is foreign to the stafford & simply shouldn't be there. There are too many really bad health problems with it.

If you breed from him in this country and any of the puppies are merle they cannot be registered with the KC.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 01:03

Ive read that before, that's what brought me to the forum in the 1st place. Yea hell be good. I like different so hes different. I completely understand your reason though because I can see people getting careless with merle on merle. I do have a question How will the KC know if his kids have merle or not in them?
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 01:03

I problem wont. More than likely.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 01:07

KingKane wrote:Ive read that before, that's what brought me to the forum in the 1st place. Yea hell be good. I like different so hes different. I completely understand your reason though because I can see people getting careless with merle on merle. I do have a question How will the KC know if his kids have merle or not in them?

If the breeder tries to register them honestly then the registration will be rejected. If the breeder (you in this case) registers them dishonestly then the registration is invalid, and you would be guilty of a criminal offence - ie deception - when you sell the pups as registered.

Obviously if any of the pups were to be entered into a show they would be asked to leave the ring.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 01:14

None of my dogs are show dogs. You must have a deep hatred for merle staffies. I cant help he was born this way. I still love him anyways. I'm just a other staffie owner, hes still gorgeous to me.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 01:32

Caryll wrote:I personally don't like to see merles in staffords. Don't get me wrong, your dog's gorgeous, but the merle pattern brings so many terrible health problems, and it doesn't occur naturally in staffords. It was introduced by cross breeding a few generations ago by unscrupulous people who thought it might look nice.

It's a shame it brings so many health problems and for that reason I wouldn't actively support it, but dogs that already exist, there's no denying it's an absolutely amazing colour, for sure Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat May 25 2013, 01:40

Harlem is a real cutey Love Struck It is obvious that you love him and with those big puppy dog eyes how could you not! Smile

While I am not willing to join the discussion regarding the merle as I feel Caryll has provided all the valid information and advice required, I will say that NOBODY here (including Caryll) has a hatred for any dog.

We DO however hate to see unwell dogs of any kind, and it would be irresponsible of us to not provide information and advice in relation to probable health issues with colour and/or breeding where we are able to do this Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 01:46

Yea they do and hes no different, Tara. Big Grin yes and i am glad she did, because i am also a dog handler with the air force and i have 4 german shep, i work with day in and day out. Last thing I would want to see is ANY dog or offspring be unhealthy or have health issues. Glad she told i wont breed him.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sat May 25 2013, 02:00

Its nothing to do with your dog not being gorgeous! I think is color is awesome and he is a beautiful looking dog. Its the health risks that come along with the merle color that is the problem. No one is denying that your dog is still gorgeous. The merle color for the breed is not a good thing because its unnatural to SBTs and has been bred into them simply for aesthetics which, in turn, causes impaired hearing and vision. Maybe this doesn't happen in ALL merle dogs but it is much more likely to happen.
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sat May 25 2013, 02:07

"heterozygous merle & they are the result of a merle bred to a non-merle. Heterozygous merles are also called normal merles or clean merles & are just as healthy as almost any other color. " i thought non-merle and merle we fine?
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 09:42

KingKane wrote:None of my dogs are show dogs. You must have a deep hatred for merle staffies. I cant help he was born this way. I still love him anyways. I'm just a other staffie owner, hes still gorgeous to me.

I most certainly don't hate merles, it's the unscrupulous breeders who have introduced merles into the breed that I hate! And please don't think I have anything against your dog or his siblings - I don't, he's a beauty.

KingKane wrote:"heterozygous merle & they are the result of a merle bred to a non-merle. Heterozygous merles are also called normal merles or clean merles & are just as healthy as almost any other color. " i thought non-merle and merle we fine?

Whether or not a merle is from two merles, one merle, or has a merle somewhere in the background isn't the issue here. It is a colour pattern that is totally foreign to the stafford & has been brought about by deceiptful cross breeding somewhere in the past (I'm not aiming that at your pup's breeders, by the way - it was way bfeore their time!). Whether or not there are health problems in individual dogs, merle can bring health problems with it, even in pups born to merle x standard. Also, if you were to breed your dog the chances are he would produce merle pups & those pups could not be registered.

But why perpetuate a colour pattern that is not only alien to the breed, but injurious to their health?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 09:59

I think you need to check your dog's KC registration, what colour is on his certificate?....

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2010/Jan2010/News290110/merle.htm

Merle stafford pups have not been registered with the KC since 2010. Your breeder must have registered your pup with the wrong colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Mon May 27 2013, 02:51

I completely understand what your saying. No worries here! Big Grin I love my little boy to death. I can say Thank you for the information. ;D
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Mon May 27 2013, 03:08

hes registered under fawn and white which is colors.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 28 2013, 19:43

KingKane wrote:hes registered under fawn and white which is colors.

I'm really, really sorry, but your dog's kc registration is invalid. Your breeders have lied in order to register him and he is, basically, non registered.

He's a red merle, and as such cannot be registered with the UK kennel club.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Wed May 29 2013, 03:34

It is a shame that the breeders lied about his color in order to register him with the KC! He is definitely a merle and not a fawn and white. This is very unfortunate! However it doesn't change the fact that Harlem is a beautiful dog and that you obviously love him very much! Im sure it will not bother you that he is not KC registered and that you will love him just as much regardless! You are not a fault for your breeder being irresponsible and deceitful! However you were talking about breeding Harlem in earlier posts and I hope now that you have been well informed you will change your mind and absolutely under no circumstances breed him! This would be totally 100% careless! Im sure you love staffords just as much as everyone else here and do not want to take part in irresponsible breeding!!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed May 29 2013, 07:28

Harlems Dad looks gorgeous dosent he. Harlems mum is a very dilute blue IMO. (Light eyes, nails, nose)
Harlem looks a cheeky lil chap ! I hope u enjoy him, u obviously care an awful lot for him - a basic which every Staffy deserves !

As Caryll said breeding is far from ideal, enjoy him as part of the family x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Sun Jun 09 2013, 15:40

I love him very much. Big Grin AND its a shame but i still love him.
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Jun 09 2013, 17:22

KingKane wrote:I love him very much. Big Grin AND its a shame but i still love him.
that's the main thing, love him and enjoy him Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 17:40

That's the important thing, that you love each other Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingKane Tue Jun 11 2013, 16:35

Well i dont think he loves me lol hahahaha only when i have food cuddles or walksz hahaha Big Grin
KingKane
KingKane

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 16:42

Ah, but those food, cuddles & walks times are very good! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jun 13 2013, 14:12

Absolutely adorable! Love his colour and his gorgeous eyes. Sooo cute Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Mon Jun 17 2013, 12:09

What a beautiful boy!
Robyn2202
Robyn2202
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17 2013, 14:29

Maria90 wrote:Absolutely adorable! Love his colour and his gorgeous eyes. Sooo cute Smile

The colour is striking, but not allowed in the breed standard.Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17 2013, 15:09

What a gorgeous boy, and so happy:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down