Staffy attack.

+2
Kathy
reuben
6 posters

Go down

Staffy attack. Empty Staffy attack.

Post by reuben Thu May 02 2013, 18:54

All Scottish Regional News channels are reporting an attack on a 12 year old boy resulting in serious leg injuries after being attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Dundee.

He was alone in the back yard with the dog apparently, so while I sympathise with him and his parents, we will only get his side of the story.

When will people learn that children should never be left alone with any breed of dog?
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Staffy attack. Empty Re: Staffy attack.

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 18:58

It's all too common sadly Sad

Moved to The News Section Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 19:16

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 19:23

reuben wrote:All Scottish Regional News channels are reporting an attack on a 12 year old boy resulting in serious leg injuries after being attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Dundee.

He was alone in the back yard with the dog apparently, so while I sympathise with him and his parents, we will only get his side of the story.

When will people learn that children should never be left alone with any breed of dog?

I think we should wait for the facts but generally speaking with a normal dog and a normal child I think 12 years old is not a problem to be left alone with a dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 02 2013, 19:26

I agree, no dog should be left alone with a child. Where was the owner of the dog and the child's parents at the time of the alleged attack ??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri May 03 2013, 21:38

I never leave any of my dogs with children, I trust my dogs more than the children in the family Laughing my nephew has on occasion noised Bailey up and although Bailey would never attack, he just has so much strength he can easily knock a child over! My nephew is 7 and weighs about 6 stone, Bailey is 20months and weighs 3 stone, put him jumping behind that and he is 6 stone Laughing
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04 2013, 09:10

StuW wrote:I never leave any of my dogs with children, I trust my dogs more than the children in the family Laughing my nephew has on occasion noised Bailey up and although Bailey would never attack, he just has so much strength he can easily knock a child over! My nephew is 7 and weighs about 6 stone, Bailey is 20months and weighs 3 stone, put him jumping behind that and he is 6 stone Laughing

Stu I half agree with this statement , but you are referring to 7 year olds , the post is referring to a 12 year old and I really don't think it is fair to make a statement that can cover kids all the way up to 16. What is the maximum age you classify being "children".

I know we have had some bad stuff happen lately with the young girl from Atherton etc and this is crazy stuff but I stand by my statement that we reach a point , unless a child has behavioral problems or the dog is particularly difficult that a level of trust has to come into this and personally yes you don't leave a 12 year old child to look after the dog for the weekend whilst you go on holiday, but to say you don't leave them together in a room unsupervised is ridiculous at this age, as I say UNLESS you are aware of issues. And generally with this statement I am referring to your own dog not other peoples.

Some people reading this kind of advice could take it completely the wrong way and all we call for is a massive degree of common sense

As I said above we don't know the fact of the event here but my daughter who is 13 1/2 now has never been totally supervised with my 2 other than educating her in handling etc and she has walked Tilly since day 1 (with and without me). Tilly has ALWAYS spent lots of time in Jenny's room sleeping in their on a night or just spending time with her

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat May 04 2013, 11:22

agree Dave, a responsible parent will know both the dog and the childrens strengths and weaknesses and instinctivly know what is and isnt safe a safe situation regardless of age.
I agree on the common sense issue as well, its not just that a dog may bite as a toddler for instance is far more likely to be knocked over by a a playfull dog than be bitten by it.

Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat May 04 2013, 12:29

Dave wrote:
StuW wrote:I never leave any of my dogs with children, I trust my dogs more than the children in the family Laughing my nephew has on occasion noised Bailey up and although Bailey would never attack, he just has so much strength he can easily knock a child over! My nephew is 7 and weighs about 6 stone, Bailey is 20months and weighs 3 stone, put him jumping behind that and he is 6 stone Laughing

Stu I half agree with this statement , but you are referring to 7 year olds , the post is referring to a 12 year old and I really don't think it is fair to make a statement that can cover kids all the way up to 16. What is the maximum age you classify being "children".

I know we have had some bad stuff happen lately with the young girl from Atherton etc and this is crazy stuff but I stand by my statement that we reach a point , unless a child has behavioral problems or the dog is particularly difficult that a level of trust has to come into this and personally yes you don't leave a 12 year old child to look after the dog for the weekend whilst you go on holiday, but to say you don't leave them together in a room unsupervised is ridiculous at this age, as I say UNLESS you are aware of issues. And generally with this statement I am referring to your own dog not other peoples.

Some people reading this kind of advice could take it completely the wrong way and all we call for is a massive degree of common sense

As I said above we don't know the fact of the event here but my daughter who is 13 1/2 now has never been totally supervised with my 2 other than educating her in handling etc and she has walked Tilly since day 1 (with and without me). Tilly has ALWAYS spent lots of time in Jenny's room sleeping in their on a night or just spending time with her

Agree Dave. From what I can gather there was no responsible adult around and the boy had to run to his married sister's house for assistance.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun May 19 2013, 23:41

I have 2 kids aged 7 and 5 and I must admit I don't supervise them all the time, I leave them in the same room while I go about my housework. I've never really thought about it before. If it was a family pet, can see why parents did leave them together
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy attack. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down