Kathy
cesca1
janey
Debs01
9 posters

Go down

The Best Walk I've Had Empty The Best Walk I've Had

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:20

I took off work extra early today about 12 and went for a walk with Logan in the sun.

I've been trying really hard lately to get Logan out of his nervous/defensive behaviour around certain types of dogs (namely, Huskys and GSD's).

For anyone that maybe doesn't know. The reason he has this problem was he was attacked by an off lead GSD as a pup and since that day has been fearful of them. Over time it has developed into more of a defensive/aggressive behaviour.

Things have been going really well lately, I'd nearly go as far to say it was as good as gone. Today though I'm 100% it is Big Grin

On the way back from our walk we met a woman with a male Husky. Normally Logan would be barking and pulling to either get away or at the dog, so I normally avoid them and take a different path. Though today for whatever reason he didn't seem a bit interested, I decided to walk along side the Husky and really test him. We would have been within 2 metres of the dog and Logan was on a 20ft lead, so at any time he could have got at it if he wanted to, but he just chose not too!

Then! The biggest test of all happened. I looked up to see coming towards us was a man with a notorious aggressive GSD that we have had problems with before. I had a squeaky toy in my hand to keep his attention if I needed it. But, again Logan walked right by it with FULL slack on the lead and never bothered, he was also still 2 metres away from the Husky.

I know this is a bit of a read but this means so much to me because apart from this one issue he has never had a single problem. I'd be pretty much safe to say now it is totally...gone Big Grin

Anyone who is having a pint tonight, have one more for the Monster Big Grin

Back to top Go down

The Best Walk I've Had Empty Re: The Best Walk I've Had

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:23

Thats great news Mat Big Grin Well done to you and Logan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:24

And I'll have a gin for Logan tonight!

Back to top Go down

It's def more down to him than me this time, very proud of him. Thank you Smile

Back to top Go down

Thata girl Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:31

That's great news! I know how you feel I only made a little breakthrough with Axl but it felt good. Well done to you and Logan, give Logan a hug for me!

p.s. I love that picture of Logan in your Avatar he's gorgeous he looks as chunky as Axl (chunky as in muscly not fat)!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:34

Debs01 wrote:That's great news! I know how you feel I only made a little breakthrough with Axl but it felt good. Well done to you and Logan, give Logan a hug for me!

p.s. I love that picture of Logan in your Avatar he's gorgeous he looks as chunky as Axl (chunky as in muscly not fat)!

Thanks Debs Smile

The wee breakthroughs just make it all worth while. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:44

Awww that's great news Mat! A very big well done to Logan too! Big Grin do you think you're going to able to let him off his long line now or still not 100% sure? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:46

Aww way to go Logan thumbs up that's great news mat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 15:47

CodlingKid wrote:Awww that's great news Mat! A very big well done to Logan too! Big Grin do you think you're going to able to let him off his long line now or still not 100% sure? Smile

Thanks Cody. Smile

Evntually yes. But as it's only really been a week or so of good behaviour, and one day of perfect behaviour I'd want to see it happen regular for a while yet. I wouldn't want to fall back in any way after he's done so well.

And thanks Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:01

Gonna have more than a pint, gonna have 4! Brill news Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:02

Glad you will join in with the celebrations Janey! Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:07

Fantastic news Smile

Well done Logan!

And well done you for taking the time and effort to overcome it!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:08

I think your Wee Fella is growing up Mat, that is great news well done to you both star
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:11

Thanks so much both of you. He def is growing up I feel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:23

Aww Logan you good boy down to you aswell though Mat for patience and building his confidence. Well done both of ya will have a wine for the wee fella later! >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:24

Thank you Inez, glad to have another celebrating Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:32

Wow, that's absolutely fantastic, Mat, you must be completely proud of him, so well done to Logan, and to you for helping him deal with it. Brilliant feeling that the effort's paid off, and obviously makes life less stressful for you and for Logan. We've had a brilliant walk today too in terms of making progress with dogs, but yours is loads better because aggression is harder to deal with. Definitely worth a celebration, I think Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:38

Good to hear you had progression too Tara, it feels great!

My wee arms are thankful anyway Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:52

Well done Logan, you're a star and well done to you too, Mat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 16:56

MatLogan wrote:
Thanks Cody. Smile

Evntually yes. But as it's only really been a week or so of good behaviour, and one day of perfect behaviour I'd want to see it happen regular for a while yet. I wouldn't want to fall back in any way after he's done so well.

And thanks Hayley

No problem Mat it's really great to hear! I'm looking forward to your post about him being let off Wink Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 17:01

Thats great! Well done logan Smile must be something in the air everyones calm haha

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Apr 30 2013, 18:24

ahh mat that is brill news,you must be so made up with him,makes it so much more enjoyable when walking him i bet Big Grin .wish i could do some thing with sash,she never liked other dogs much but since she was attacked last year she is so scared of any dog now Crying or Very sad
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 18:26

Thanks Hayley and Stella.

Yea it was like a light switch with Logan too Stella, from the very second he was attacked he became unsocialable. He has done real well though lately bless him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 30 2013, 19:19

That's brilliant, you must be so happy Big Grin

Well done Logan thumbs up
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 19:20

Really am Sazzle. So is Logan by the looks of him at the moment too Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 19:23

Fantastic news mate , Logan's a good boy . Now you have behavioral skills can you advise me on how to get Tommy Ten Men not to think he can take on a herd of cows

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 19:29

Dave wrote:Fantastic news mate , Logan's a good boy . Now you have behavioral skills can you advise me on how to get Tommy Ten Men not to think he can take on a herd of cows

I am def no wiser really lol. But I bought these silly little Kong tennis balls from PAH for like £2, they are small enough to fit in your pocket.

As soon as I saw a dog, even one Logan liked I'd squeak it, then he'd look at me and sit. After doing it over and over, when he saw a dog he was looking at me expecting me to squeak the ball so I did. Then today he looked at me and I didn't have to squeak it all all, just said "good boy" and he seemed satisfied.

Probably not the most technical of methods but it has worked for us two eejits Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:28

Brilliant. I totally understand why you'd be pleased. Kenny's not very good around any dog atm, that was since an attemted attack by a larger dog. He's now allways on the defensive. It makes walks really stressfull. Would you mind share some tips, and while your at it, make mine a strongbow please Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Brilliant. I totally understand why you'd be pleased. Kenny's not very good around any dog atm, that was since an attemted attack by a larger dog. He's now allways on the defensive. It makes walks really stressfull. Would you mind share some tips, and while your at it, make mine a strongbow please Big Grin

Back to top Go down

sorry, some how i posted twice lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:31

Thanks a lot Kelly. I had tried a few different things but it was basically the "look at me" technique which worked. I had tried it before with treats but by the time I'd fumbled to get a treat out of my pocket the time to correct would have passed and I couldn't have stopped it.

This is what is working for me. Smile

MatLogan wrote:I bought these silly little Kong tennis balls from PAH for like £2, they are small enough to fit in your pocket.

As soon as I saw a dog, even one Logan liked I'd squeak it, then he'd look at me and sit. After doing it over and over, when he saw a dog he was looking at me expecting me to squeak the ball so I did. Then today he looked at me and I didn't have to squeak it all all, just said "good boy" and he seemed satisfied.

Probably not the most technical of methods but it has worked for us two eejits Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:57

Sounds good to me Mat, and definatly worth a try. He's so bad atm, that i dont want to take him alone. He's like something possessed. He does this thing. He'll lay down on seeing a dog walking in his direction. He'll be all waggily tailed, but as soon as the dog gets with in reach, he goes nuts. Then we have days when other dogs dont bother him. Im trying to figure out what triggers this behaviour. Thank you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:03

kenny d wrote:Sounds good to me Mat, and definatly worth a try. He's so bad atm, that i dont want to take him alone. He's like something possessed. He does this thing. He'll lay down on seeing a dog walking in his direction. He'll be all waggily tailed, but as soon as the dog gets with in reach, he goes nuts. Then we have days when other dogs dont bother him. Im trying to figure out what triggers this behaviour. Thank you Smile

For Logan it was def nerves. It sounds bad, but he was nearly foaming at the mouth to get away at a point a few months back, totally petrified.

I think the times when it works best is when I could deal with it as soon as possible. That why a squeaky toy worked better than a treat because there really wasn't enough time to stand hoking through pockets for something.

Give it a go anyway. Hope it makes a difference. Loadsa praise as soon as the other dog is past too, I probably looked totally stupid but I couldn't less. If it means my arms aren't torn out of their sockets everyday I'll be happy looking silly Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:17

MatLogan wrote:I took off work extra early today about 12 and went for a walk with Logan in the sun.

I've been trying really hard lately to get Logan out of his nervous/defensive behaviour around certain types of dogs (namely, Huskys and GSD's).

For anyone that maybe doesn't know. The reason he has this problem was he was attacked by an off lead GSD as a pup and since that day has been fearful of them. Over time it has developed into more of a defensive/aggressive behaviour.

Things have been going really well lately, I'd nearly go as far to say it was as good as gone. Today though I'm 100% it is Big Grin

On the way back from our walk we met a woman with a male Husky. Normally Logan would be barking and pulling to either get away or at the dog, so I normally avoid them and take a different path. Though today for whatever reason he didn't seem a bit interested, I decided to walk along side the Husky and really test him. We would have been within 2 metres of the dog and Logan was on a 20ft lead, so at any time he could have got at it if he wanted to, but he just chose not too!

Then! The biggest test of all happened. I looked up to see coming towards us was a man with a notorious aggressive GSD that we have had problems with before. I had a squeaky toy in my hand to keep his attention if I needed it. But, again Logan walked right by it with FULL slack on the lead and never bothered, he was also still 2 metres away from the Husky.

I know this is a bit of a read but this means so much to me because apart from this one issue he has never had a single problem. I'd be pretty much safe to say now it is totally...gone Big Grin

Anyone who is having a pint tonight, have one more for the Monster Big Grin

Bless him mate, they are a confident breed so he may well be strutting his stuff saying "you dont bother me" remember the psyce of dogs is body language so a confident trot by ignoring the other dog may well be the doggie form of a two fingerd salute Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Laughing Laughing
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:19

Very possible Nathan Laughing

He was standing very proud but very relaxed. It was surreal to see lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:26

excellent news Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:28

Cheers J!

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:34

This is brilliant Smile All the hard work has payed off then... Long may it continue, well done Logan star
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Tue Apr 30 2013, 23:10

My dog is similar and I know what a great feeling it is when they choose to ignore a dog that you know 6 months ago they would had have a go at! Congratulations! Well done! Smile I'm gonna start bringing a squeaky toy too, great idea!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
The Best Walk I've Had Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 00:51

Excellent news mate, well done to both of you Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 11:33

Cheers, after all the things I tried it was a £2 squeaky tennis ball which seems to have cured it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 11:48

I bought a couple of the larger Kong squeaky tennis balls yesterday, they're Milton's only squeaky toys (and they're for the field only or he'd drive me mad with them Laughing ) Good thinking to use them as a distraction though, I think I'll go and get a smaller one to help with Milton's dislike of Labradors Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 11:50

Chris SW wrote:I bought a couple of the larger Kong squeaky tennis balls yesterday, they're Milton's only squeaky toys (and they're for the field only or he'd drive me mad with them Laughing ) Good thinking to use them as a distraction though, I think I'll go and get a smaller one to help with Milton's dislike of Labradors Smile

I just got the small ones because they fit in the pockets of even the skinniest jeans, which is a benefit for me Laughing !

I'd never give him it though because they are super tiny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 11:54

Yeah, I got the ones that are the next size up from a normal tennis ball, annoyingly too big to fit in the ball launcher, but never mind Laughing I saw the tiny ones, reckon they'd only be of use to a hamster haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down