Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless!

3 posters

Go down

Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless! Empty Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless!

Post by mrscams Fri Apr 26 2013, 15:26

Reggie is 5 months, my parents dog Rolo is a 3 year chocolate labrador. We see my parents almost every day & each time the dogs are together Reggie is relentless at trying to jump all over Rolo, biting at his face & neck. Rolo is very placid & most of the time will just let Reggie do it- to the point the pup is hanging off his face!! Rolo has told him a couple of times but rarely, most of the time Rolo will just try & get away or paw at him- he's much bigger!
The few times Rolo has told Reggie though he has come away with scratches & gashes on his ear from Rolo :/
I know it's a dominance thing but how can I calm Reggie down & will they ever just be able to lie down together without fighting/playing rough?!
We've tried a pet corrector spray- Reggie didn't even notice it & Rolo cowered in the corner & sulked for ages. We've tried shaking a bottle of stones but Reggie thinks its a game because one of his toys is a maraca lol!
Any tips would be fab- I have a 2 year old who gets pushed about & trodden on because of the dogs fighting!
mrscams
mrscams
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Reggie
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless! Empty Re: Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 15:53

at 5 months old all they want to do is play as they are full of energy

If rolo looks like he's fed up or you've had enough try separating them and give reggie a chew or something to keep him occupied, he will calm down with age but he's just being a typical pup

Back to top Go down

Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless! Empty Re: Puppy fights with 3 year lab- relentless!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 16:30

It really is just boisterous puppy behaviour. Logan was horrendous for it at a time. Laughing

I really don't like those sprays if I'm honest. I feel the best way to def with excited playing is just keep an eye on it and if it gets to a point where you are uncomfortable separate them, and possibly put Reggie in the next room for a time out for a few minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 16:31

Agree with Ella, try to step in before it gets to that point. If one dog is getting annoyed or one dog is being too rough, it's time to separate them and let them calm down. Keep an eye on their body language while they play so you can tell Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 17:00

Same as all the posts above. I would even start by time out before he gets to see rolo at all. Only let him intereact with him when he has calmed down.

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Apr 26 2013, 19:09

Get this with Bacchus with certain dogs we meet on walks. When I think they have had enough I just produce his throw toy and he stops as he is obsessed with his toy.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 22:58

Hayley wrote:Same as all the posts above. I would even start by time out before he gets to see rolo at all. Only let him intereact with him when he has calmed down.

Agree and if it starts to get where you are uncomfortable have him sit and be calm again. Really normal behaviour for a pup as they are still learning how to play and have tons of energy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 23:14

Lots of puppy behaviour your describing, just give him a time out (ie a place to calm down calmly) he will get there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Sat Apr 27 2013, 12:07

I remember when I first got my boy at 1 year old and we had a old Labrador at the time, my boy use to grab the Labrador by the fat on his neck and try to drag him to the garden to go play Laughing it was like he was playing tug of war with the Labradors neck... The Labrador was very calm BUT if my boy hurt him he would tell him off and he soon would stop.

But if you don't want that behaviour just teach him not to do it, I know it sounds easy but its not, but since the dog is still a puppy is very easy to train...

Just by saying no firmly when you want him to stop and once he stop give him a treat, so he will understand he's getting a treat for stopping that behaviour.
If he doesn't understand that way just separate them and put them in a different room, once the puppy is more calm let him back in and before he even goes to play rough you say "no" firmly and reward him for stopping Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down