JayneJ
Jackieb
Sazzle
Quine
8 posters

Go down

Smile Chewing through leads

Post by Quine Wed Apr 24 2013, 19:58

Harry, six months old is now on his third lead......all were good quality, one of them I had with my previous dog (not a staff for eighteen years), I do have a chain lead..heavy duty but am reluctant to use this as it only creates even worse reactions from people..oh its a Staffie...oh its on a chain lead is he aggresive (Harry is the biggest softie you will ever meet)..anyone got any ideas? (He has also chewed through a leather belt I left on my bed so a leather lead would not work either..any adivce gratefully received Smile ......................oh he has numerous chew toys/bones so thats not the answer!
Quine
Quine
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 9weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Chewing through leads

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 20:04

when you get the answer please let me know , Tommy chews through them when he is not getting attention , so this weekend we went for a walk and then to the pub , was talking to an old friend and didn't notice he was chewing through it as I had tethered him till he got all the way through , did the same with the other end of the lead at the pub the next day
(sorry it sounds like I'm always in the pub Blushing )

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 24 2013, 20:30

I've had the same problem with Daisy!
I bought a chain for the end of the lead, which is actually a collar but it just works as an extention to cover the bit she would normally chew. It doesn't have any clips on it so I also bought a double ended trigger hook clip to attached that to her collar/harness. Does that make any sense? Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:02

Sazzle wrote:I've had the same problem with Daisy!
I bought a chain for the end of the lead, which is actually a collar but it just works as an extention to cover the bit she would normally chew. It doesn't have any clips on it so I also bought a double ended trigger hook clip to attached that to her collar/harness. Does that make any sense? Big Grin

You mean you use a choke chain (ring each end) as a lead extension

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:07

I use softex leads.

Tank has chewed 2 (when he was a pupster) it is something u need to be aware of - and stop soon as they take the lead in their mouth.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:09

Jackieb wrote:I use softex leads.

Tank has chewed 2 (when he was a pupster) it is something u need to be aware of - and stop soon as they take the lead in their mouth.

My leads now are very similar , I've ordered a softex police style lead to replace his current one but also bought some heavy duty sewing machine needles so we can have go at shortening this one as a back up as its only a few inches form the ends where the little bugger's done it.

He never chews when he's walking though

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:13

Dave wrote:You mean you use a choke chain (ring each end) as a lead extension

Yes that's right, it must be!! Bought the chain from the pet shop and the clip off ebay.

It's worked for me Big Grin Now she only tries it when she gets really excited and isn't interest if she bites on the chain! She is better for her training though as well, if she gets excited and starts to try and get it I make her sit until she calms down.
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:23

The only thing I can think of is to rub something nasty onto the lead! Vicks Vapour Rub often works well for that sort of thing. Stinks to high heaven, but dogs don't normally like the taste!

Back to top Go down

Post by Quine Wed Apr 24 2013, 21:31

Smile Thank you!!!............I do make him sit and remove the lead from mouth but its when he is tied up outside shop for eg., only while I buy a paper the little sod has teeth like razor blades, he has never ran away he sits there like a dumpling as though to say ...hello Mum how we gonna get home now?. He is too big for the small harness, and too small for the medium harness I had thought of that or I would clip onto the harness whilst walking sohe couldnt get the lead in his mouth, and already had someone ask when he was tied up with the chain lead...do you know its illegal to tie up with a choker?...not a choker you numpty its a normal collar...heavy duty lead Smile
Quine
Quine

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Smile Chewing through leads

Post by Quine Sun Jun 09 2013, 09:37

Well thats Harry Eight months old now and have found that chain leads are the only thing he cant chew through!...but it works so will just put up with the 'looks' and the ...oh he is on a chain is he dangerous...yeah you are in real danger of being licked to death, and the Harness makes a huge difference walking doesnt pull a his neck which is incredibly strong........so Happy Days!..now if I can just stop him chewing anything e can get his hands on in the the house we would be sorted Smile Laughing
Quine
Quine

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 09:45

I don't have any experience with lead chewing, darcy hasn't chewed any yet Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by JayneJ Sun Jun 09 2013, 20:42

I have 2 boys, Jack and Louie who've been on chain leads for months now. Louie is the chewer of his and his brothers leads. He even chomped my seatbelt that jack was attached to (that was an unexpected £150!) I don't know if he was trying to free him or kill him!

I tried to change Jack's lead back to a nylon one recently but Louie just stuck his teeth straight in to it. I do feel much safer with the chains cos they do have a tendency to bolt when they see a cat... I know the chains won't snap.

Generally I think that people will either want to stop for a stroke or avoid staffies depending on their knowledge of them. I've never had any comments on the chains and people stop all the time to stroke them.

if anyone's got any tips for them stopping eating poo then I'm all ears. Trying pineapple at the moment and it's got better but they still eat the stuff, no matter how clean the garden is, they'll get it when it's one the way out. I'm getting fit chasing up our garden to try and stop it!

JayneJ
JayneJ

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Louie and Jack
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 20:52

Blue used to grab his lead when I first got him to shake it and sometimes would rip it in the process. I also just got a chain lead with a clip on it and used that for a bit. After a while I went back to the nylon and leather leads and lucky for me he hasn't tried to do it again. Hope you manage to sort it out

Back to top Go down

Post by 131RDY Fri Jul 19 2013, 22:49

milo did this about 2 months ago outside the shop just because he was not getting any attention the little bugger Tongues , i just went to pets at home and got a chain lead its a lot better and now if he trys he will no not to bother because he wont get anywhere lol and as for other people thinking they are dangerous because they are on a chain they need to own a staff before criticizing others Smile 
131RDY
131RDY
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : milo
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by rob hammond Sun Jul 21 2013, 11:34

It maybe just because of his age. When I got Poppy (profile pic) as a rescue, she suffered from separation anxiety , so when I tied her up outside a shop she would chew through her lead, but would still sit there... After several chewed leads I did get a chain lead just for when I tied her up. After about six months, I started using soft leads again, and found that she had stopped doing it, more than likely because because she had got over her anxiety. I know exactly what you mean about the whole chain lead thing, but a few bad looks from ignorant people is far better than a lose dog, which can get you and him into trouble. Just try him on a chain until he is used to the idea that he shouldn't chew and he may not be completely out of his chewing stage yet !
rob hammond
rob hammond
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy and Amy
Dog(s) Ages : 14 and 7
Dog Gender(s) : both female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozzah.Xena26 Mon Jul 22 2013, 15:18

My friends dog did this and she was told it was because he was nervous or bored, he hated bein on the lead cause he felt trapped in a sense she hired a dog trainer and she said to make a game of going for a walk such as whats that (throw a treat a short distance infront)or lettin him carry a toy or ball on the walk?
You could try this and see if it helps?
Try changin your route as well see if that helps or use a longer lead and let him smell lamp posts flowers etc.
i use a chain lead too and i get funny looks and people have even crossed the street! Just use what ur comfortable with i hope this helps x
Lozzah.Xena26
Lozzah.Xena26

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Xena
Dog(s) Ages : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Jul 22 2013, 18:24

Ledger did it and came from dogs trust with a heavy duty chain lead it is anxiety with him and he went through a couple of leads when I started him at agility I put him on the chain lead for two weeks classes although he figured the handle wasn't chain I could just about conceal it in my hand. Since then he hasn't chewed a lead a combination of comfort in the situation and not getting his own way
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down