How much excercise?

+2
Steve
BoroGTI
6 posters

Go down

How much excercise? Empty How much excercise?

Post by BoroGTI Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:01

Just wondering how much excercise you give your pups, time/miles or however you measure it. When i first got my pups i stuck to the 5 mins for every month guide but this didn't last long and is definitely not sufficient now their 7 months. Monday to saturday i will do 6 miles a day (3 miles on a morning and 3 miles after work on an evening) then between 4 and 7 miles on a sunday, just curious how other people do their walks really

BoroGTI
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Digby and Matchli
Dog(s) Ages : Both 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How much excercise? Empty Re: How much excercise?

Post by Steve Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:08

a 7 month should only be doing 35min per walk if your doging 3 miles day your going to damage his joint

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:14

Ouch! 6 miles is definitely too far for a 7 month pup! They may seem able to handle it, but it will play havoc on their joints and limbs, as the bones, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, etc., haven't formed and strengthened properly yet.

If you feel like the advised methods of 5 minutes per month of age doesn't seem enough, you could boost the walks by 10-15 minutes, but too much more could be detrimental to their health. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by BoroGTI Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:19

3 miles is only taking me about 35-40 mins so iI didn't think it was too far over the recommended

BoroGTI

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:27

U must be walking pretty damn fast !

35 mins approx - so for example it takes me 15 mins to walk to the local field. Let the pooches have a run about - then walk back, another 15mins.

Over exercise can cause damage to the growth plates in the legs as well as damage to paws (especially if concrete walking)
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by BoroGTI Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:37

Im aware of the risks of over excercising. Like i say they're being walked on a lead for 35-40 mins which is roughly 3 miles (according to an excercise app) i suppose i walk reasonably fast but its not that fast Smile this is on concrete/soil/grass, i dont see this as being way too much really, i think any real damage to ligaments/joints etc will occur with twisting/jumping about etc for too long, which they dont do while out on walks

BoroGTI

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:38

BoroGTI wrote:3 miles is only taking me about 35-40 mins so iI didn't think it was too far over the recommended

That's well over 5 miles per hour, the equivalent to what you would expect from a racewalker. These dogs are a lot smaller than humans, so that would be even more stressful on the limbs. When you take into account their age as well as that, I have no doubt that it could cause damage. Really, the 35 minute recommendation is for 1 mph - 3 mph at the most.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:40

well we did told you, but ui'm going to say this it's not nice seeing your 4 year old dog struggle to walk around

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:41

far to quick a walk for a pup, a 35 minute walk at a slower pace would be a lot better otherwise you can really damage their joints

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:17

You may find the link below of use for amount of walks to give your puppy along with information on the damage too much exercise can cause your dog both now and later in life. I can only imagine what the hugely costly vet bills would look like later on:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-far-long-walk-puppy-11667002.html?cat=53
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:33

It's a bit much for the pups and will put strain on their joints which could cause problems in later life.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoroGTI Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:45

Thats fair enough but its very vague in terms of 'scientific fact' the article itself is just the opinion of a dog owner

BoroGTI

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:49

doesn't matter whos opinion it is joint problems in dogs is a very real thing as is hip/elbow displasia and these can be massively brought on by damaged joints and bones as a pup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:51

BoroGTI wrote:Thats fair enough but its very vague in terms of 'scientific fact' the article itself is just the opinion of a dog owner

See comments above Kathy's post. Tongues Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by BoroGTI Tue Apr 23 2013, 16:59

of course it exists, and if someone was running their pup or agility training for example with twisting and turning etc fair enough but normal lead walking for 35-40 mins, i dont believe is as far off as people are thinking. You'd think i was jogging with them until they were dropping the way people are reacting doh

BoroGTI

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 17:04

I agree with all of the above your putting to much pressure on their still developing legs & this will cause you problems & pain for them in later life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 17:23

you did ask what we do and got the answer Smile and for my 2 ive stuck to this rule founded on advice of experienced people so its up to you how you deal with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 18:57

You have been given good, sound advice. If you choose to ignore it that's up to you. I just hope you can afford the vets bills in your dogs' later years when they are suffering from arthritis & weak, painful joints.

Just one thing. Don't come on here asking for advice/opinions & then just push them aside because they don't suit you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 22:48

Eleanor wrote:
BoroGTI wrote:3 miles is only taking me about 35-40 mins so iI didn't think it was too far over the recommended

That's well over 5 miles per hour, the equivalent to what you would expect from a racewalker. These dogs are a lot smaller than humans, so that would be even more stressful on the limbs. When you take into account their age as well as that, I have no doubt that it could cause damage. Really, the 35 minute recommendation is for 1 mph - 3 mph at the most.

Agree and most people can't even walk that fast. You are probally going slower than that. Suki averages 15 minute miles but we jog some of the way as well. A pedometer is a good tool to use so you know how far you are going.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 01:01

I've always stuck to the rule with Loki, and he's still full of energy by the end of the day a lot of the time, but I'd rather have a lively dog than one that may have health problems later on by something I've done. Hopefully yours won't, but I don't see why you'd ignore the guidelines by walking too fast when there's still a risk.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Wed Apr 24 2013, 02:09

But you also said you do this TWICE a day! 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the afternoon! So even if you are walking 5 mph (which is close to impossible) you are still doubling the advised daily limit! The people here just care and dont want you or your pup to have troubles later on because of over exercising early in their life! I just hope you listen to the advice given and reduce your walks!!!!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Wed Apr 24 2013, 04:36

BoroGTI wrote:Im aware of the risks of over excercising. Like i say they're being walked on a lead for 35-40 mins which is roughly 3 miles (according to an excercise app) i suppose i walk reasonably fast but its not that fast Smile this is on concrete/soil/grass, i dont see this as being way too much really, i think any real damage to ligaments/joints etc will occur with twisting/jumping about etc for too long, which they dont do while out on walks

I'm not sure if I would trust that app lol, if your not walking that fast then it might be a little off. I am a fast walker but 3 miles (which according to google is almost 5km) would still take me around 45-50 min (and I would say I am a damn fast walker Smile )
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How much excercise? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Wed Apr 24 2013, 04:42

BoroGTI wrote:of course it exists, and if someone was running their pup or agility training for example with twisting and turning etc fair enough but normal lead walking for 35-40 mins, i dont believe is as far off as people are thinking. You'd think i was jogging with them until they were dropping the way people are reacting doh

I think people are reacting about the 3 miles x 2 in a short time (sounds like extremely speedy walk), but to be honest I think the app is wrong about the distance because I cant imagine anyone walking that fast with a pup on a lead with them, so it is probly not as bad as it sounds!
Might still be worth consider breaking the walks up. Like someone said a 10-20 min walk to the park, then some play and or obedience training there and then a 10-20 min walk back, remeber that mental exercise will tire them out as well so obedience training, food puzzles etc will help with the built up energy as well!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How much excercise? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down