Behaviour getting worse.

3 posters

Go down

Behaviour getting worse. Empty Behaviour getting worse.

Post by Fullhouse Tue Apr 23 2013, 13:26

Hi all, I appear to have jinxed myself by bragging to everyone about how good Dixie was settling in as she's changed completely in the last couple days.
Took her out yesterday morning as usual and we got part way into our walk and she started snarling and biting the lead and jumping up in the buggy and snapping at myself and my wee one, I tried grabbing her harness from behind and sitting her down and ignoring her but she wouldn't stop so we just came home again (with a fight)where she was put in the kitchen for her behaviour. Every time I let her bak into the living room she would go for me or the kids, snapping and snarling and at one point bit me on the ear. My eldest walked her after school and she was fine but still very badly behaved when she came home.

I took her out again in the evening but just the 2 of us and it started well but rapidly went downhill, she was snarling and grabbing her lead, scratched all down the backs of my legs with her claws (I'd on shorts) and I had on stop and hold her harness for about 5mins to get her to settle but she justwentbstraightback the same behaviour. I eventually gave up and headed for home and she pulled the lead out of my hand and ran off, then she came back and grabbed my trousers snarling and ripped a chunk out of them. I let her off lead (first time) and she was fine, just running around, chasing birds and came when called but the second I put it back on she started to fight again and I ended up dragging her home!

She been walked this morning and was fine but when I let her out to do the toilet she jumped up and bit my shirt tails and ripped it. She only seems on be displaying this behaviour with me though I am worried that she'll turn on one of the kids.

Does anyone have any advice? Or is a muzzle the best method to deal with it?
Fullhouse
Fullhouse
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dixie
Dog(s) Ages : 28/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Behaviour getting worse. Empty Re: Behaviour getting worse.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 13:35

This is actually very normal behaviour for a pup. They take time and consistancy to train. They should only be walked on lead for 5 minutes per month of age as well so have you tried walking her by yourself so you can focus on her?

With the nipping it's best to turn around and ignore her until she is calm. If that doesn't work move her into a seperate room for a few minutes.

She may also be starting to teeth so have plenty of frozen treats on hand to help with the pain. This could also be contributing some to her behaviour.

Also keep in mind that if you or anyone else is on the floor she sees you as a playmate and will act accordingly. It does get better with time and again it's very normal behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 13:47

Agree with jstaff, and she's so young, it's completely normal puppy behaviour, no need for a muzzle, she's just being defiant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 23 2013, 14:18

It sounds like she is starting to push the boundaries and needs to learn where they are and to not cross them. When she nips give out a loud yell so she knows that this has hurt you, she will soon catch on.

She most probably has started teething which will cause her some discomfort try giving her a frozen Kong to soothe the pain.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 23 2013, 21:08

Keep with the training and if your struggling you can always consider a puppy class, if/when she's old enough Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 21:33

She just pushing the boundaries, darcy is 8 months & still sees how much she can get away with Big Grin keep up the hard work & patience and I'm sure it'll pass. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 22:05

Kenny ws the same, totally nuts, im sure i have a video somewhere. Try not to worry, it will stop Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down