Booked in for op

4 posters

Go down

Booked in for op Empty Booked in for op

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:22

Buster has now been booked in to be castrated. My last 3 males were never done and were fine with dogs people etc. buster however is da and has started being aggressive towards Skye when nervous. Now I know this may not help at all but I have to give him a chance. My oh wants to rehome him but I know how hard it will be to do and it would probably do more damage to him

A little background on him for those who don't know his story, I rescued him from a house where he was kept in a cadge with his brother, in the house (same room) another cadged male staff 18 months old and a 3 yr old entire female boxer. When I gothim he was 5-6 months old so scared he wouldn't go out the front door, he followed Skye everywhere. He is now 20 months old and has grow in confidence so much he loves his walks, still very nervous with other dogs but will sit and watch if they stay a distance from him, (if they approach he will bite as he was jumped on by several dogs when we first got him, through other owners not allowing him to have his space and puttin their dogs on leads as requested by me) but that's work in progress. He is a very nervous dog onthewhole and we asa family have put a lot of effort into helping him, but he has now got a jeckle and Hyde personality. Most of the time he is a loving friendly little boy and will play nicely and greet new people with no problems, but every now and again something triggers off the aggression and he and Skye end up having a fight which has lead to him loosing a bit of his ear. This is why my oh wants to get him rehomed to someone with no other animals, I however feel he has made so much progress he is worth the extra effort.

Sohe is booked in for the snip to see if it's his hormones that are causing his aggression, I know this is not the whole answer but even if we do rehome him at least I know he will be done
Gazagem
Gazagem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Booked in for op Empty Re: Booked in for op

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:25

Wishing you Buster and Skye the best of luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:28

Thankyou I'm so worried about the op but I don't want to give up on him as he has gone through so much in such a short time. Just wish I had got him at 8weeks he would be such a great little boy
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:29

If he is a nervous dog then I think you are doing the wrong thing. Castration can increase nervousness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:38

He is only nervous when another dog comes up to him whilst we are on a walk but if the dog is calm and is on a lead he will sit and after a short while relax, I think though a lot of it comes from me as i relax when the dog is calm
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:47

As caryll said getting a nervous dog done can drastically make them worse as they are lacking the hormones that give them confidence

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:48

Good luck with the op for Buster >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:52

Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:14

good luck,hope all goes well >Big Grin<
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:16

ella wrote:As caryll said getting a nervous dog done can drastically make them worse as they are lacking the hormones that give them confidence

This is why I have left him so long he now is a confident little boy until another dog is in his space when walking its the aggressiveness I don't want as he is a great dog most of the time it takes a while then they fight, all is well, then another fight but the times between are getting shorter and I worry that one day I won't be able to separate them as Skye has had enough of him being fine to snapping at her for what seems no reason. As I have said before I owned 3 male gsds all entire with no problems so I feel busters background has a lot todo with the way he is but the only reason my oh will keep him is if we get him done and keep training him not to get to that level. I am all for him keeping entire but it's that or rehome him and I've gotto do all I can to help him be the best he can.
I only use treat training and have helped him lots he can now walk great on his own and with Skye

I hate the feeling that what I'm doing will halm him but I would hate to think I've rehomed him and he has attacked another dog because his new owner doesn't have control or doesn't care.

So what todo get him done and hope it helps or rehome him and take the chances of something bad happening or god forbid having him pts as no one would handle him.

I'm at the moment in the middle of a rock and a hard place
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:20

This must be a very difficult situation for you and I am v impressed that you have and are in the process of trying all the options. Maybe someone on here has experienced the same situation? Anyone?

Plus: what do you do when he is aggressive or shows signs of aggression? My dog is not aggressive (and was done before I got him from a rescue) but I am working on improving his recall to such an extent that I can whistle and he will stop mid track, whatever he is doing. It is a relatively long process because when he is playing tug with another dog he goes deaf. But I am working on it. I think Staffs can go into that red haze sometimes - I wonder if it is possible to train them so they immediately 'come to' and stop whatever they are doing.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:41

It's hard to describe as it does come out of the blue hence jeckle and Hyde
He can be playing fine then something happens either a noise movement that hes not expecting and he just growls. This is where Skye if close gets the brunt of what ever the problem he feels is there sometimes she just walks past him and he goes it's like an on off switch the fighting is Skye retaliating when he goes for her. Most of the time she will ignore the grumbling but if he goes for her I don't blame her.
After the fight they are as if nothing happens and will play again
It's possible it's just his age and background but it has started to bring stress into the house
Doesn't help with 2 shouting teenagers in the house as well which can set him off when they start pushing each other about and the dogs get all excited
Other than this his recal is excellent not perfect but if off lead and we see another dog he comes with no problems and will happily walk on lead
Both dogs get fed separate as we first thought it was due to food guarding but when having treats they can sit together with no aggression
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 17:59

Hope everything goes okay Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 19:46

By all means go ahead with the neutering, but please don't expect it to make much of a difference. It might, but it might not. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:00

I really hope it will help you, I can't really advise anything but a massive well done to you for sticking with him and trying to do right by him! Best of luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:25

I hope it works for you. Have you considered calling in a trainer/dog behaviourist to see if they can help?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:43

After a long discussion with my oh I have got him to agree not to get buster done just yet so the op is canceled for now we have invested in a new muzzle for him so they can interact with out the risk of a fight breaking out new rules have also been implimented both dogs to be cadged before the door is opened. still to be fed seperately.
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23 2013, 15:51

thumbs up

pleased you have reconsidered, and i hope it goes well with you.

Do keep us informed of how it's going Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Apr 23 2013, 18:06

After all that you guys said I got him to look into why not to and in the end he said well you booked the op so my decision

It's going to be hard for everyone to stick to the rules but in the end hopefully we will end up with a good little boy
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down