Skin Problems along with Allergys

4 posters

Go down

Crying Skin Problems along with Allergys

Post by marie891 Sat Apr 20 2013, 22:42

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum, i have a SBT called Ruby shes coming 4 years old and we have been having problems on and off for a few years now.

We have recently found out through allergy tests and skin biopsys that she is allergic to Wheat, Rice and Soya Bean so we have changed all her food to Fishmongers kibble, she eats cooked fish and chicken and vegtables BUT we are still having bad skin reactions and we have tried Atopica but she has a sensitive stomach so these did not stay in her body for more than 10 mins each time i gave her them so spoke with the vet who agreed it was not fair to her, So we went back on to steriods everyday for a week then every other day for another week and yes it clears up abit but then as soon as we stop her skin get all inflammed again poor thing.

Today she is very bad, ihave cut the grass at home and wonder as shes been playing with the children on the grass if it also causes her a problme even though it did not come up on the allergy tests.

She is white and black pied and just wondered if anyone else is having these problems and could offer some friendly advice. My vet bill is currently over £1000 thankfully Ruby is insured.

Look forward to hearing from you.

marie891
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Skin Problems along with Allergys

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 01:01

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Oh, poor Ruby, she's really going through it, isn't she?

Have you tries her with anti histamine tablets? Piriton (or equivalent) work quite well a lot of the time.

Also, you should really consider switching to a raw diet. That's mainly raw meat & bones, although there's a little more to it than that. If you'd like some info on it, just say!

As far as the grass allergy goes, try wiping her down with a clean damp cloth every time she comes in from exercise, whether you think she's been in contact with grass or not. It sometimes helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 07:56

Aww hugs >Big Grin< for ruby, darcy too has allergies, and as caryll advised she too is on piriton, she still has flare ups but not as bad, my vet thinks she's allergic to wheat & grass pollen, I also put a bit of sudocrem on the red bits to help soothe them which works a treat Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 10:19

Poor thing, big hugs for Ruby >Big Grin<
I would also reccomend what Caryll has and look into feeding a raw diet. I as well as many members on here who will be able to help and advise you feed raw so I'm probably a bit biased on how good the raw diet is.

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Sun Apr 21 2013, 10:28

Aww I hope you find a solution to this... Sounds quite uncomfortable for her, nasty allergies! Wish I could offer some advice... Let us know how you get on
otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:55

Hello and welcome from me and Daisy Smile

Poor Ruby, I hope you can find a solution, let us know if you try the advise above how it goes x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:02

Poor Ruby. Bella has allergies too. She's had to get steroids a couple of times but piriton mostly keeps it under control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 19:56

Agree with everyone else! You should deffo try some hay-fever/allergy tablets or something I think, you could also try brushing her with a rubber grooming mitt or a damp towel which helped Ebony after the fields had just been cut! Maybe you could give her a quick wet down in the shower with cool water to help soothe her skin and get of any excess pollen; there's also natural remedies you can make to rub on her skin and different tea-tree things you can use to settle her skin too Smile Nothing more I can add really but going raw is definitely a good option to look at; it gets rid of all possibilities of traces of wheat or anything in the food and you can really monitor what she's taking in. I really hope you get it sorted soon though poor girl, must be super uncomfortable for her Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:19

I have had Louby since Nov, she was 6 months old at the time. She is 1 next month. Almost as soon as we got her she started with her skin. She was diagnosed me mange, dermadex (i think its called), we had to bath her in this horrible solution, a bit like turps. She hates baths so that was an ordeal every time. Then they put her on a liquid that she needs to swallow every day, cant remeber the name but its actually or cattle, so we had to sign a waiver as its not recognised with the drugs companies/authoritites.

So yesterday we had her spayed and they also did another skin scrape, she is now free of the mange, but her skin is still not very good. We have her on James Wellbeloved food, and also she has to continue on the liquid stuff, and the vets have said she cant eat anything else, no bones treats...nothing.

If this doesnt work then they are going to do bloods and work out what her allergies are.

Its all fun Sad
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Skin Problems along with Allergys Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:23

How long must she have the liquid stuff for?

I would seriously consider raw feeding if you have the space in the freezer. It's really good for dogs with allergies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:30

She has been on it for 2 weeks, and have just given me more for another 2 weeks. Can't remember what its called, begins with a P. she has the tiniest amount in a little syringe, straight in to her mouth.

I think we shall see how she gets on for the next month, she has only been on James Wellbeloved for 2 weeks, so need to give it more time for that, and see how she goes. But i will definately consider the raw food diet if this fails.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Skin Problems along with Allergys Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down