+2
Kathy
Tready
6 posters

Go down

Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy Empty Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy

Post by Tready Sat Jan 07 2012, 19:33

Hello Everyone.

Only just joined and I am looking for some advice, If anyone can help with information I would be most grateful.

We just rescued a 8 month old Staffy as his other owners could not look after him due to ill health.

When we went to pick him up he kept scratching a lot around his neck and jaw. He had some bald patches around his head and jaws and seemed in discomfort. His old owners said it was a lot worst but the hair has started to grow back a lot from what it was.

As soon as I got him I changed his diet completely.

The old owners were feeding him tesco value dry food twice a day, and also allowing him to drink a cup of milky tea out of his bowl in the mornings.

Straight away I have changed him to Wainwright complete puppy food. I purchased some turkey and rice and salmon and potato flavour. Obviously put a stop to the tea drinking as well.

He was also getting little exercise with his previous owners due to their health.

The first day we got him I took him to the local vets to get him checked over and to enquire about worming as we did not know his past history properly.

The vet took a scraping of his skin and examined it and said he seems to be suffering from demodectic mange. They prescribed some Malaseb shampoo and said to bath him in in twice a week for the next 4 weeks. The also prescribed Aludex wash but had none available at the time.

I had a phone call a day later from the vet and said they are having problems obtaining Aludex. They have given some spot treatment instead that I have to pick up tomorrow. They also gave two drontal plus tablets for his worming treatment.

I have bathed the dog twice now with the Malaseb and his coat looks a lot better and he has hardly been itching or scratching at his skin at all. I also have been applying some Johnsons tea tree skin calm spray around the areas he was scratching.

After applying the spot treatment the vet said he would like to see him in two weeks for another scrape to see how he is getting on.

Just after some other help and suggestions about treating this conditions and if there are any other products or treatments I can get that would cure or help him.

Thanks in advance.

Tready
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy Empty Re: Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy

Post by Kathy Sat Jan 07 2012, 21:22

Did you change his diet gradually if not this could cause upset tummy. However it sounds like with your love and care he will do just fine.

I think I would probably wait to hear back from the vet to see what happens next until trying anything else. Drontal are good worming tablets we use these for Rocky which we also obtain from our vets and have never had any adverse effects.

Try to keep him in a routine with regards to feeding ie. use the same food any changes make gradually.

As for walks try two half hour walks per day one in the morning then the other later on.

Bedding should be changed regularly and replaced with clean (mainly common sense stuff anyway).
Please feel free to ask any questions as you go we are all here to help. Well done on rescuing by the way it takes a lot to make this kind of commitment, thank you.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy Empty Re: Skin Problems in a 8 month old Puppy

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 07:59

I use Malaseb shampoo with my girl RoXy as she used to scratch badly as a youngster. It really does seem to help. The hardest part is trying to keep the shampoo on for the recomended 10 minutes to work it's magic but is sooooo worth it.

My girl now suffer with a red itchy rash on her belly which gets quite raw looking ( due to grass allergies we think ) so now when she has a flare up I have tablets prescribed by our vet and also a prescribed anti-inflammitry cream........soon clears up any itches and spots. Some are just prone to skin conditions.

Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sun Jan 08 2012, 10:12

A lot of skin problems is caused by what you feed your dog, stay away from completes with grain in, one of the best diets is raw..
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:06

Demodex usually is passed on from mum and all dogs do have them but can usually keep them at bay.
When a dog is developing, its immune is sometimes weakened and thats when the mange mite can flare up.
Malaseb is a great thing I use it on many skin problems its in my doggy first aid kit it takes away the itch and helps the irritation to heal.
Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyAmStaffTerrier Sun Jan 15 2012, 03:30

I suggest you use oatmeal soap. This will lessen the skin damage. Smile

AmyAmStaffTerrier
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by bigirv Sat Feb 25 2012, 03:45

hi all , i am new to site and have a beautiful blue boy who has recently got a small bald patch between his ears looks to me like dermo (mange) just wondered if anyone has tried camrosa ointment as i have been told is best remedy rather than getting scrape and meds from vet and would rather use natural(ish) remedy than harsh chemicals or antibiotics to help so just hoping someone could give personal advice on problem before taking him to vet as i dont really trust local vet as i think money comes before dogs health with him so any advice from actual dog owners would be much appreciated sooner rather than later. Many thanks in advance to any replies to this message
bigirv
bigirv

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 13:11

bigirv wrote:hi all , i am new to site and have a beautiful blue boy who has recently got a small bald patch between his ears looks to me like dermo (mange) just wondered if anyone has tried camrosa ointment as i have been told is best remedy rather than getting scrape and meds from vet and would rather use natural(ish) remedy than harsh chemicals or antibiotics to help so just hoping someone could give personal advice on problem before taking him to vet as i dont really trust local vet as i think money comes before dogs health with him so any advice from actual dog owners would be much appreciated sooner rather than later. Many thanks in advance to any replies to this message

If it is demodectic mange, then camrosa ointment is a good treatment. It is, however, very messy, and you have to use a special cream & shampoo to remove it. I know, I tried it!

I have a tub of it for emergencies, but luckily haven't need to use it again.

Having said that, Malaseb is also a good treatment as long as it isn't used long term.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigirv Mon Feb 27 2012, 16:31

thanks for reply caryll have ordered malaseb off amazon so hopefully that will sort it
bigirv
bigirv

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down