Panting

Go down

Panting Empty Panting

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 20:52

Kuchar is now almost 16 months old, weighs 20 kilos and looks (and acts) fit and well. He has two or three long walks a day on an extendable lead so that he can run around as much as possible (the third walk depends on how hyper he is in the evening).

However - after energetic free running around with another dog (which he can't do very often, due to the reluctance of many dog owners hereabouts to let their dogs play with other dogs) he pants excessively (more than his co-runee) and lies down on the field for a rest. When I get him home he pants and lies down (frog-like) for about as long as he was racing about with the other dog.

I recognise that I am maybe over-anxious about this as we originally had his litter brother at age 3 months, who died 4 days after we got him home from congenital emphysema - a harrowing experience. The breeders to their credit gave us a free replacement in the shape of Kuchar. (Don't ask about bloodlines - the breeders were lovely caring people but had basically had a litter from their pet dog and pet bitch, no papers). The vet has checked his heart on two seperate occasions and said that it is a healthy strong puppy heart.

I always cut short the free running and chasing about when Kuchar starts panting and lying down. Am I right?

Also, for various reasons, he is getting castrated next week and I am terrified about the general anaesthetic. I have had bitches (not Staffs) spayed before with no worries, but because of the above I am feeling terrible about it.

Kuchar is a very friendly and VERY excitable dog - is it just over-excitement causing him to pant like this? Am I right to fear the GA?

I'd appreciate your advice (and I do know about anti-neutering - I have explored this subject thoroughly through medical reports on the net and from taking advice from the good people on this forum) - it's the apparent exhaustion from exuberant free-running that's worrying me - and the upcoming GA.

I thank you in advance if you have any comments.

Back to top Go down

Panting Empty Re: Panting

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 21:00

How often does he do the free running with other dogs? If it isn't often then the extra activity & excitement could make him really hot & that's why he lies frog-like on the floor, it cools his belly.

As long as he isn't distressed I wouldn't be worried about it.

There's always a measure of risk with any anaesthetic, but it's a small risk, and the vets don't keep them under very long. If you're at all worried, have a chat with them & I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest - it'll be over before you know it & you'll be tearing your hair out trying to keep him quiet!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 17 2013, 21:29

I can't really help, but it is getting warmer so that may effect him.

Good luck with the op Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 21:45

It's probably a mixture of excitement and the running around. Loki never pants when running around, I played fetch with him for an hour yesterday plus running around and nothing at all. But he pants when he's around dogs within 30 seconds because he's just so happy to see them, so I really wouldn't worry Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 21:57

Tilly pants just sitting in a chair , Tommy has to exercise first , sorry if I'm being thick and not reading properly but what is GA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 21:58

Dave wrote:Tilly pants just sitting in a chair , Tommy has to exercise first , sorry if I'm being thick and not reading properly but what is GA

General anaesthetic Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 22:06

Caryll wrote:How often does he do the free running with other dogs? If it isn't often then the extra activity & excitement could make him really hot & that's why he lies frog-like on the floor, it cools his belly.

As long as he isn't distressed I wouldn't be worried about it.

There's always a measure of risk with any anaesthetic, but it's a small risk, and the vets don't keep them under very long. If you're at all worried, have a chat with them & I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest - it'll be over before you know it & you'll be tearing your hair out trying to keep him quiet!

Thank you Caryll - the frog-like resting position is normal for Kuchar, whether hot or not.

Well most days (although not always) he meets up with his special friend, a Patterdale, who unfortunately is 6 years older than Kuchar and is generally fixated on me as he knows I have liver in my pocket! If the Pat can be distracted from my liver pocket, they will have a game amongst themselves - playful biting cheeks and rolling over etc, which excites Kuchar no end, but no long distance running and chasing. Kuchar might pant a bit after these encounters, but not for long.

This afternoon Kuchar met an off-lead Jack Russel, and they chased around for ages - Kuchar was in heaven. After about 15-20 minutes Kuchar was panting heavily although the JR was still ready to go again. I managed to get hold of Kuchar (not easy, he was still hyper) and take him home - he kept lying down, and once home panted for about half an hour. AND - has not needed a brisk walk around the block tonight!

I know I might be paranoid because of what happened to his litter brother and the fact that Kuchar is (as I realise now) a product of a haphazard mating.

Thank you Caryll, you have soothed a worried mummy's brow Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 22:10

Tara wrote:
General anaesthetic Big Grin

yup I was being thick Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 22:13

Tara wrote:It's probably a mixture of excitement and the running around. Loki never pants when running around, I played fetch with him for an hour yesterday plus running around and nothing at all. But he pants when he's around dogs within 30 seconds because he's just so happy to see them, so I really wouldn't worry Smile

Thank you Tara for this - I was hoping that it is excitability and not a heart/lung problem and you have encouraged me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 22:20

If he had a problem with his heart you'd have known by now - he'd be coughing after exercise and might even collapse for a few seconds every so often.

Same with lung problems, I'm sure you'd have noticed if he had trouble breathing.

Relax, breathe deeply and keep telling yourself it'll all soon be over & he'll be right as rain! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 22:49

I know I'm a great worryguts about my baby boy and you have been a great reassurance - Thank you Caryll >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down