panting very quickly plus other issues !!

+4
stella
Kathy
scorpio9
janey
8 posters

Go down

panting very quickly plus other issues !! Empty panting very quickly plus other issues !!

Post by scorpio9 Mon Jul 07 2014, 20:38

hello, its been a while since i was last on here, regarding Louie's ear, which was a haematoma ! 2 further ops for that and thought everythings going well for an 11 yr old staff. however, last 4 days he's gone off his food totally.
not only that, he's walking really slowly on our walks, and even stopped a couple of times up the hill on our way back home. it looks like he's lost weight from his back end also, even though he was wormed a week ago. I've noticed he walks like a cat, with the back end moving from side to side. he sometimes tries to bite his back end as if somethings bugging him.
i thought it was the hot weather , and hes had anti histamine tablet.
the main thing is the breathing/panting, very fast.. i can only liken it to a cheetah seen on wildlife programmes !!
even when lying down or asleep, its still fast, stomach rising and falling.
I'm hoping  its nothing too bad, and it will go as quickly as it arrived, .anyone have any ideas or similar effects ?

i'm dreading the vet, because if its serious, I dont have the funds : (  i've just had to pay for 2 funerals in my immediate family in the last 4 months !!!
any advice or info appreciated, as i'm worried this will get worse !! thanks all...

scorpio9

scorpio9
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : LOUIE
Dog(s) Ages : 11
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

panting very quickly plus other issues !! Empty Re: panting very quickly plus other issues !!

Post by janey Mon Jul 07 2014, 20:44

Sorry I can't really offer any advise, if it was me I would be at the vets but I am worrier - have you tried resting?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

panting very quickly plus other issues !! Empty Re: panting very quickly plus other issues !!

Post by scorpio9 Mon Jul 07 2014, 20:54

i kept him in for a night to give him a rest, and took him out in the rain, hoping he may cool down, but still the same !!

scorpio9

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07 2014, 21:12

Would defo get him to the vets as soon as you can, but again I am a worrier also. Let us know hoe he goes xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 08 2014, 14:42

Oh dear, it does sound like you need some professional medical advice there, does your vet do payment on installments - maybe worth asking them.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Jul 08 2014, 19:08

i would def pop him to your vets for a check over,at 11 he will be slowing down,how long do you walk him for?may be try shorter walks and in the morning and evenings where the weather is less hot
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by kozmos Tue Jul 08 2014, 23:08

i'd get him to the vets .. the sooner the better
simply 'cause fast breathing/panting MIGHT be a sign of a heart condition
don't want to alarm you .. but had to comment as my neighbours older
dog did that .. and was diagnosed with a weak heart ..
she ( the dog ) needed to be given a daily tablet for it ..

~~~~

i do hope for you it turns out actually to be nothing too serious
kozmos
kozmos
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
panting very quickly plus other issues !! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 09 2014, 14:02

Any news on Louie today ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpio9 Wed Jul 09 2014, 20:14

hi all, got an appointment on friday morning at the vets, i'm hoping nothing too serious !!!

its just the slow walking & not eating thats puzzling me..i gave him weetabix yesterday, and he ate that fine, tried today and he just ignored it !

i've taken to giving him ham slices today, as its a favourite, he eats it ok, probably wont tomorrow if theres a pattern emerging..eats something one day, next day try the same thing, but wont entertain it !!

still, as long as he eats something & drinks plenty, we should be ok till we see the vet

scorpio9

scorpio9

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpio9 Fri Jul 11 2014, 10:50

LOUIE UPDATE - DEVASTATED !!!!

had to take Louie to the vet a day early than arranged, as his breathing was more heavy. took nearly 30 mins for a 7 minute walk, as he was so slow. told the vet all this, slow walk, off his food, and the breatlessness. vet examined him, took temperature, and did a blood test, which were all normal. vet couldnt get a proper listen to his heart, due to the fast breathing. outcome was to give him an injection, antibiotic, and also some tablets to take 3 times a day for the breathing, oxycare 250mg, and have them for 3 days. took the very slow walk back home...
got about 50 yards from home, and i could hear a scraping noise, when i watched him, it was his nails on his back legs, as he wasnt lifting his feet up. i thought maybe its the injection tiring him out, but as i got 20 yards away from my door, he started swaying about. I thought get him in quick for a lie down & a drink, as i put the key in the door, he just collapsed.. I lifted his head up, but he took 4 more breaths and then stopped completely....
I carried him into the kitchen to wipe the blood from his mouth, think he bit his tongue when he went down. then i rang the vet to update them, as they said let them know if theres any change...not my best call ever made as i was angry, and asking how can a dog drop dead 5 mins after you've give him an injection to help him ?
they came to get him and then told me its £54 to cremate him !! got my money back from the tabets, but still £30.
all i can say is that he went quickly, and at least i was there with him. I had my last staff 14 yrs, and Louie for 11, but i've never seen a dog deteriorate so fast.4 days then bang !!.. with my 2 family members dying in the last 4 months, and now my best mate, i've never felt so low in my life...... : (

scorpio9

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 11:41

Oh my love I'm so so very sorry for your loss Sad how devastated you must be Crying or Very sad we're here if you need to talk panting very quickly plus other issues !! 3198918699 panting very quickly plus other issues !! 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 12:42

I am so so sorry to hear this. We're here when you need us

Back to top Go down

Post by shegsy Fri Jul 11 2014, 15:11

What a terrible shock for you and your family. So sudden. I'm feeling for you all at such a sad time. You were with him at the end which I feel is important. RIP Louie xx
shegsy
shegsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella RIP angel
Dog(s) Ages : 04/2001 - 08/2014
Support total : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 11 2014, 17:57

We are all here if you need us. So sorry Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11 2014, 19:14

Oh my I so feel for you how awful, so sorry and as said we are here Xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Jul 11 2014, 19:47

so sorry to read this,cant even imagine how you must be feeling  panting very quickly plus other issues !! 3198918699 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Fri Jul 11 2014, 20:47

Im so sorry to hear this! What a terrible time you have had lately! I know it was a dreadful shock, but Im glad you were with him at the him.
As already said we are here if you need to unload. I cant imagine burying 2 family members and then losing your faithful best friend too Sad
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpio9 Sat Jul 12 2014, 14:09

thanks to all for your kind messaages...yes its been a really bad 6 months, worst period of my life...the only thing is that everytime i open/close my front door, the image of Louie lying there appears in my mind !!
however, he made it back home, typical staffy, fighting till the end !!!
i've just got to be as strong as he was from now on, but its really hard to take...scorpio9

scorpio9

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stu Sat Aug 16 2014, 11:44

just read this....jesus...I feel for you...so sorry to read this and for your loss ...heart breaking...take comfort at least louie died at home and with you where he felt safe...it takes time to grieve there's no limit
R.I.P LOUIE
stu
stu
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down