Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!!

3 posters

Go down

Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!! Empty Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!!

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 10:48

Hi there,
This is my first ever post and i have read other posts with the similar issue I have some pictures included as you guys will be best of help to me, people say there is no need to go vets with it as it will be just a waste of money, as it happens vets drain money from you Big Grin
On the pictures you can see my boys: head bald patch which has been there for a while, it has hair on it but is shorter that other areas of hist head (as you can see), back legs (on his heels?) some people say its normal and other dogs have it, and tail which apparently is normal for staffs. so far what i have read that head and tail is normal? how about the back of his legs? I turn to you guys as you all have staffs and this forum is perfect for helps so i would really appreciate as i am worried about him! Also there is to mention it doesn't bother him or anything.
What you guys think about it? should i worry? what should i do? Straight Face You'll know best
These are the pics:

www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3&u=18247056

www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=4&u=18247056

https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/24/70/56/2013-014.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/24/70/56/2013-015.jpg

[i]

lidzet
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Thor
Dog(s) Ages : 2+
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!! Empty Re: Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 11:26

It isn't normal in Staffs, but it is very common. It could very well be demodex, which a few of our members have had issues with.

Have you ever asked your vet? They can take samples/scrapes and determine exactly.

My Logan had samples done once and it totally got to the bottom of his issue and was a lot easier to treat subsequently. Smile

Back to top Go down

Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!! Empty Re: Bald Patches on Head, Tail and back legs pics included, Please help!!!!!

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 11:32

thanks for the quick reply, i mean it changes dependant when hes dropping his coat, when he was a pup he had bald patches on his head they gave him some medicine, it gone, however next summe it reappeared but then it kinda healed it self and never came back, i have seen some staffies with what my thor has on the head, also seen with patches on the tail, never seen with bald on the back legs (because i never looked Big Grin) no i havent been vets as people say theyll jsut rip you off and some staffies do have it; something to do with hormones? i mean it doesnt bother him he has beautiful coat all over, i just worry too much about him Sad

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 11:37

If it's demodex or even malassezia (which was what Logan had) it won't go away without being treated and most most likely get gradually worse over time.

Best getting it looked it. My vet did a sample and didn't charge me a penny for the information, then the medicine/tablets were very inexpensive also.

Depending on what it is, diet can help prevent future flare ups.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 11:46

did it bother him when he had it? It never bothers Thor, sometimes he has it sometimes he doesn't however this time it stayed for quite a while, and it doesn't get worse, he doesnt itch and hes happy as anything its just me being concerned

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 11:50

It didn't bother him really at all but he would scratch from time to time and because he was so young he was quite rough with himself. He was never in distress though.

Personally I'd be getting a sample done because it was very easy treated, in my case anyway.

The earlier you can deal with these things the easier it is to solve Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:39

hmmm because before he used to have 'mini patches' on his head and what i read was to give him some olive oil to his food plus also rub it on the places of the patch i did that and it helped, have you ever used olive oil or even heard of it? u think that would help? also do you have the name of the medicine you gave to Logan?
Thanks

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:45

I'm in the office at the moment but when I get home I'll see if I can find the box. Logan had the early stages of malassezia though and I have a feeling Thor may have a bit of demodex which wouldn't be treated the same way.

I feed olive oil to Logan every day, I take it myself every day too.

For skin issues, apple cider vinegar, is excellent. I was recommended it on the forum a while back and it has made massive differences.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:50

i have also read this on the other post 'All dpgs are born with the demodectic mite present in small quantities. Occasionally they will multiply for various reasons & will cause a small amount of hair loss, normally either on the head or the base of the tail. If it isn't itching/red/sore and it isn't getting bigger, I wouldn't do anything other than keep an eye on it.

Dempsey gets the odd bout of this, normally when he's been a bit under th weather. He loses a patch of hair about the size of a 50p piece at the base of his tail. It starts to grow back slowly after a couple of weeks or so. I've never treated it because it's never caused him any problems.' would you agree with that, after what you've seen on the pictures? and thanks i have a feeling its demodex too but i thought it takes all over the body?

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:54

Yes all dog's do have demodex present in them, some flare up worse than others.

Same with malassezia, it's like a symbiotic relationship. It's a yeast based problem were the yeast exists naturally but at time can take advantage of the host if conditions are suitable to do so.

It can be managed and flares up prevented. I now feed Logan a greain free diet which helps, things like apple cider vinegar, EV Olive oil and a daily raw egg has done great too.

Still worth a trip to the vets though IMO. A decent vet won't rip you off. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:56

ive also just read on the iternet about denodex, before i go vets i will try and use some home solutions, but im confused if for demodex you have to bath or you give some medication to the food? and thanks again you are a massive help

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:58

the thing with my vets i live quite far out and there is one that is reasonably close, and trust me they're the most unpleasant people ive met and also all they look for is money when they do a health check on my boy, they dont even do it properly the just look at him same way i do and they say hes fine, but i can come to this conclusion myself Big Grin

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 12:59

is there any specific meds for demodex ? or how would you treat it? and also can you catch it from other dogs??

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:01

Depending on what your vet would find you could be given topical creams and also antibiotics. My vet did mention steroids at one point for Logan but I didn't fancy that idea and didn't do it.

There are certain things like steroids I'd be afraid to use on my dog, but at the same time I feel it's beneficial to get the opinion of a vet.

Natural remedies are also available though. One of our Mod's, Ella has a lot more knowledge on this sort of thing especially when it comes to natural treatments. I have used a number of her ideas from this page and had good results.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t21698-natural-dog-remedies-and-doggy-first-aid?highlight=remedies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:01

both the head and tail could be either dermise mite or just a reaction in there sweat glands (which iv been informed off my vet memphis has)doesnt bother him ie itchy or sore and never gets any worse so i dont do any treatments apart from keepers mix in his raw food which has improved it a little i feel

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:09

would you say its can be transferred from a dog to dog?

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:10

Yes, that's true. A small area on the top of the head and towards the base of the tail is usually down to the demodectic mite, and will usually disappear on their own. However, if it's spreading to the backs of his legs then I'd be inclined to just seek a vet's opinion.

A simple skin scrape will let them see the number of mites present (in any) and so decide if there's likely to be a problem.

Personally, as you have a blue dog (which could be prone to skin/fur issues) I would get a skin scrape to rule out/confirm demodex. If it isn't the demodectic mite then you could be looking at Colour Dilution Alopecia, which can be a problem. https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia#254063

In the meantime you could try rubbing coconut oil into the skin to keep it supple & healthy, and maybe add some omega oils to his food. Yumega is a good supplement for skin/coat health http://www.lintbells.com/online-store/3/yumega-dog-250ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:11

lidzet wrote:would you say its can be transferred from a dog to dog?

No, Demodex isn't passed from one dog to another (the other form of mange, Sarcoptic Mange, is) - the mites are already there, they just sometimes multiply and cause hair loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:17

https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/24/70/56/2013-014.jpg

like youve seen this is the back of his leg and his other one is the same, however just in this particular place, does your dog have that? so i shouldnt worry as much about his head and tail from what you can see from the pictures? taking it all to the account would you say if, i restart giving him oilive oil and once a week give him a raw egg would suffice?
Thanks

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:20

The back of the hock looks more like a rubbed area - does he like to lay on hard flooring/concrete etc? That can often wear off some fur.

I'd give the oil, but I'd be more inclined to use something a bit richer than olive oil (ie omega oils or yumega) until the fur loss is under control/receding.

I would still see the vet to rule out/confirm demodectic mites.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:24

yes he runs on pavements and in the house he plays on the carpets (which are quite rough and hard), so is it possible its from that? do all dogs don't have fur there, or at least most ? how about your staffy?

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:27

I would definitetely go to the vets for a skin scrape. Once you know what the cause is you can decide whether to attempt to treat yourself with alternative products or to follow the vets instructions.

Daisy has just recovered from Demodex and in some cases can get bad without treatment. Like caryll says if it is already on his head, legs and tail it has already spread quite far. Also he is over 2 years old should should not be suffering from this now, most pups grow out of it as their immune system matures (if indeed it is Demodex).
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:28

If a dog regularly lays on rough ground he might well rub the fur off of his elbows and knees/hocks.

My boy doesn't because he likes his comfort too much! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:39

Definitely seek the vets advice, because if its demodex it's unpleasant. we had issues with darcy itching, and had skin scrapes to check it wasn't demodex, luckily it wasn't, she has allergies.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:54

ill try and give olive oil and raw egg, for a couple of weeks if i dont see the results, i will take him to the vets also ill keep you updated, thanks guys!!

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:59

Hi there all again,
just an update on what im planning to do for my boy and comment would be welcome if you agree;
lately i have learnt that these spots can be; allergy to wheat and/or not enough nutrients in the commercial food, so my plan is once in a while give my boy like i mentioned raw egg (once a week) olive oil to his complete dog food (3 days out of 7), carrot (once a week) and also raw meat now and again i.e. either lamb, beef, chicken or liver from superstore like Asda etc. would you think its a good idea? and also im confused about whenever i get raw meet from superstore do you advice me to freeze it before giving it him or freeze it and give him frozen meat, im only scared about the bacteria from raw foods like egg salmonella and raw meat. what you guys think?

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 18:04

I give Logan a raw egg everyday, he loves them.

I still think it could be demodex though as opposed to an allergy.

Back to top Go down

Post by lidzet Wed Apr 17 2013, 18:19

what i will try and do add some oils and more nutrients to his diet and see result in few weeks, if there is none ill take him to the vet, but question lies do i froze the meat or give him fresh?

lidzet

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 18:22

I don't feed raw meat because I feed kibble also, and the digestion times are different. I boil a bit of mince lightely for Logan though to add to his kibble.

Someone who feeds RAW will be along soon with better advice about that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 19:25

If you want to feed him raw meat, you can feed it in the morning and then feed the dry food for his later meal, because like Mat said, the digestion times are different. I give Loki chicken wings often for breakfast, and I give a couple of them to him fresh, and freeze the rest Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18 2013, 01:47

lidzet wrote:Hi there all again,
just an update on what im planning to do for my boy and comment would be welcome if you agree;
lately i have learnt that these spots can be; allergy to wheat and/or not enough nutrients in the commercial food, so my plan is once in a while give my boy like i mentioned raw egg (once a week) olive oil to his complete dog food (3 days out of 7), carrot (once a week) and also raw meat now and again i.e. either lamb, beef, chicken or liver from superstore like Asda etc. would you think its a good idea? and also im confused about whenever i get raw meet from superstore do you advice me to freeze it before giving it him or freeze it and give him frozen meat, im only scared about the bacteria from raw foods like egg salmonella and raw meat. what you guys think?

i normally freeze for atleast 24 hours then defrost but i have feed straight from the supermarket shelf with no problems supermarket meats are quite safe to be fair its when you start getting wild animals ie rabbits, squirrel,thats when the importance of freezing is needed .
and when the weather getts warmer its safe to feed frozzen food to help them cooldown Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 18 2013, 08:47

When I first got Troy he had a similar looking bald batch on his head, very dry cracked skin behind the ears and on his tail.

No idea what it was, vet reckoned he may of had some sort of allergy. God knows what he was being fed before.

Anyway, he is on Hypoallergenic dog food now and they cleared up and not been back since.

May be completely unrelated to your dog, just my 2p worth Wink

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down