+3
Jackieb
Mark
anderson
7 posters

Go down

garlic Empty garlic

Post by anderson Tue Apr 02 2013, 10:55

For the last couple of weeks we have been feeding toby on a raw diet. Hes also having a little garlic each day. Just wondered if any of you guys feed your staffords garlic.
Also have you noticed any benifits.
anderson
anderson
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : toby
Dog(s) Ages : 1 and a half
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

garlic Empty Re: garlic

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 11:15

Yep I feed garlic every other day. It is a great natural way to flea them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by anderson Tue Apr 02 2013, 11:24

I eat large amounts of garlic and chilli and never get bittern by bugs during the summer. We have now stopped using the stronghold.
anderson
anderson

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : toby
Dog(s) Ages : 1 and a half
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 11:30

I know someone who gives it to their collies to stop fleas and it works Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 12:16

I feed garlic every few days as Ella said it keeps the fleas away Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue Apr 02 2013, 12:30

Garlic keeping fleas and the bugs away is a myth and not true. Only proper flea stuff like frontline keeps them at bay Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 12:35

I used to feed Vinnie Garlic but found he was itching and getting sore in places, but on the other side of the coin My Mini Dachs had it every day from when He was a pup and never had a flea in 17 years so I guess it depends. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Apr 02 2013, 13:05

Mark wrote:Garlic keeping fleas and the bugs away is a myth and not true. Only proper flea stuff like frontline keeps them at bay Smile

My 2 are raw fed and I don't use chemical wormer/fleaer on them and they don't have either. I occasionally give DE to worm when I remember, but I've started sending samples to wormcount.com and they don't need wormed. Sierra has only had 2 Milbemax from I've had her, 1 at 8weeks and 1 at 10weeks and nothing since. I used to use Advocate until I read up about it and doing research will always try and find a safe alternative.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Wed Apr 03 2013, 11:09

StuW wrote:
Mark wrote:Garlic keeping fleas and the bugs away is a myth and not true. Only proper flea stuff like frontline keeps them at bay Smile

My 2 are raw fed and I don't use chemical wormer/fleaer on them and they don't have either. I occasionally give DE to worm when I remember, but I've started sending samples to wormcount.com and they don't need wormed. Sierra has only had 2 Milbemax from I've had her, 1 at 8weeks and 1 at 10weeks and nothing since. I used to use Advocate until I read up about it and doing research will always try and find a safe alternative.

Can you tell me what you know about Advocate. We use this on ours instead of frontline. This is because she had sever mange when we rescued her as a pup and the Advocate is supposed to help with this.

Richardspencer
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 03 2013, 14:05

On another forum someone's dog lay on the leather couch after having advocate applied and it burnt the top layer of leather off! So leather being animal skin I didn't want to use it on my dogs skin Smile he was always terrified when I tried to put it on, would run away and put up a major fight to get away from it! I wonder why ...
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Apr 03 2013, 15:09

Why some owners would love to pump their pooches full of chemicals is beyond me !

Garlic : it's a natural antibiotic, and your pooch is less likely to get fleas as fleas hate the taste of garlic. This is like a natural repellent.

Myself I use Garlic and Fenugreek tablets from Dorwest Herbs for my dogs. I don't give any other flea treatment or prevention. The herbs I use are great for skin probs too.

They are however wormed regularly.

Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Wed Apr 03 2013, 15:43

StuW wrote:On another forum someone's dog lay on the leather couch after having advocate applied and it burnt the top layer of leather off! So leather being animal skin I didn't want to use it on my dogs skin Smile he was always terrified when I tried to put it on, would run away and put up a major fight to get away from it! I wonder why ...

Thanks for that Mark. Definately something I will look into alternatives. The dog already has patches from the mange but has now developed seasonal flank halopecia.

Richardspencer

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Sat Apr 06 2013, 10:52

I give Molly garlic from time to time, as anything in the onion family is a poison to dog's, so she get a capsule about once a month,I wouldn't want to give her to much. I prefer to spray her with lavender water and brush it into her coat.. it's a good flea and tick repellent.
pag
pag

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Apr 06 2013, 14:25

pag wrote:I give Molly garlic from time to time, as anything in the onion family is a poison to dog's, so she get a capsule about once a month,I wouldn't want to give her to much. I prefer to spray her with lavender water and brush it into her coat.. it's a good flea and tick repellent.

You'd have to give an awful lot to affect a dog, I'm sure I read it was something like the equivalent of a bulb of garlic a day for a prolonged period!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:29

i thought garlic like onion was poisonous to dogs???
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Apr 06 2013, 23:23

Steve.Sanders wrote:i thought garlic like onion was poisonous to dogs???

It is. But given in moderation is beneficial!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Sun Apr 07 2013, 09:22

Any of the onion family is suppose to cause kidney failure in dogs, I know in humans it's a super food and is great for joint and heart health, but I still use it sparingly for Molly.
pag
pag

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 12:07

I've never given my girl any garlic, purely cause I'm a big wimp Big Grin Laughing after studying on my course at college about harmful substances to animals it's really put me off! It's made me so paranoid Laughing Laughing I wouldn't bash anyone's techniques but I personally wouldn't feed garlic as the toxins from the onions (garlic being in the onion family) stores up in the dogs body, and they get toxic shock from it and once they get to that state there's not much else you can do! But as people say a bit a day probably wouldn't do much harm, and their dogs have been fine so I think it is more onions than garlic which is bad for your dogs but you'd be surprised at what's dangerous! It's also the ratio of the onion/garlic that's in the dogs body compared to the size and metabolism. I am way to much of a big time worrier when it comes to my girl so no garlic for her just incase! I have read good and bad things about it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardspencer Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:45

Big Grin So this post has gone from not using fronline or advocate because its 'pumkping your dog full of chemicals' to 'feed them garlic its better' to 'actually, garlic is poisonous to dogs in large quantities' Our dogs are not the only ones chasing tails then!! Laughing

Richardspencer

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Apr 09 2013, 18:13

Richardspencer wrote: Big Grin So this post has gone from not using fronline or advocate because its 'pumkping your dog full of chemicals' to 'feed them garlic its better' to 'actually, garlic is poisonous to dogs in large quantities' Our dogs are not the only ones chasing tails then!! Laughing

This might help. This is what I use for my 2.

http://www.dorwest.com/Products/GF/garlic-and-fenugreek-tablets-for-dogs-and-cats

My 2 have 2 tablets per day. My male is prone to skin flareups, when he has a flare up of spots he gets 4 tablets a day for 2-3 days then bk down to 2. This clears his skin up.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:56

CodlingKid wrote:I've never given my girl any garlic, purely cause I'm a big wimp Big Grin Laughing after studying on my course at college about harmful substances to animals it's really put me off! It's made me so paranoid Laughing Laughing I wouldn't bash anyone's techniques but I personally wouldn't feed garlic as the toxins from the onions (garlic being in the onion family) stores up in the dogs body, and they get toxic shock from it and once they get to that state there's not much else you can do! But as people say a bit a day probably wouldn't do much harm, and their dogs have been fine so I think it is more onions than garlic which is bad for your dogs but you'd be surprised at what's dangerous! It's also the ratio of the onion/garlic that's in the dogs body compared to the size and metabolism. I am way to much of a big time worrier when it comes to my girl so no garlic for her just incase! I have read good and bad things about it though.

it's the thiosulphate in garlic and onions which is toxic to dogs and causes hemolytic anemia

It isn't fat soluble so isn't stored in the tissues as such, however the amount in onions compared to garlic is massive which is why a smaller amount of onion is needed to get to toxic levels. You literally need to feed a bucket load of garlic due to it's low concentration of thiosulphate to get any where near toxic levels

So yes garlic is fine to feed Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:57

right then... im all up for non toxic.. i use advantage as its what vet give with kodas injections and it does loads of bug tic flea demodex worm things.. now i had heard garlic was good and for fleas before but ignored but then i see a post about DE i think it was for worming that goes kill em all but not harmful to the dog(had a glance) .. is there a natural remedy recipe around anywhere that covers it all like the advocate does?
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders

Status Status :

Male
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:59

Steve.Sanders wrote:right then... im all up for non toxic.. i use advantage as its what vet give with kodas injections and it does loads of bug tic flea demodex worm things.. now i had heard garlic was good and for fleas before but ignored but then i see a post about DE i think it was for worming that goes kill em all but not harmful to the dog(had a glance) .. is there a natural remedy recipe around anywhere that covers it all like the advocate does?

if you mean an all in one no i've never heard of one.

Personally i use DE for worms and internal parasites, garlic for fleas and external parasites, and carrot seed oil for lungworm. So not an in all in one but i refuse to use chemicals on them

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Tue Apr 09 2013, 23:07

il be def looking further into this thanks Big Grin
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders

Status Status :

Male