Cut/Sore

Go down

Cut/Sore Empty Cut/Sore

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:12

Hi all,

Milton's got a cut or sore on his rear foot. I think it developed while he was at the rescue centre where he'd lick it excessively (guessing through anxiety). I've been bathing it three times a day in salt water and using an antibacterial powder, but it doesn't seem any better after over a week. He does still lick it though and I have to stop him whenever I see him doing it for too long - I think it's become a habit.
It's not infected, and he's had a course of antibiotics while at the centre but they didn't really do much, just stopped it becoming infected. I'm wondering if something like an iodine solution might help, or if anyone can point me in the direction of something that'll clear it up I'd be eternally grateful!

Back to top Go down

Cut/Sore Empty Re: Cut/Sore

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:45

It sounds as if you and the rescue centre have done all the right things to heal his paw, what does it look like now? (photo?)

If you've only had Milton for a week since getting him from the rescue centre, then it may well be that Milton has been concentrating his anxiety onto his paw, in which case (if it has healed) then distraction from licking it (his comfort blanket) and realisation that he's in his forever home should stop the habit in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 03:44

Have you tried neosporian to help the cut heal. I'm not sure what the equivalent is there but it's designed to help healing and prevent scaring.

Also a sock or ace bandage on it will help keep him from licking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 09:10

Lynda wrote:It sounds as if you and the rescue centre have done all the right things to heal his paw, what does it look like now? (photo?)

If you've only had Milton for a week since getting him from the rescue centre, then it may well be that Milton has been concentrating his anxiety onto his paw, in which case (if it has healed) then distraction from licking it (his comfort blanket) and realisation that he's in his forever home should stop the habit in time.
I'll try to get a photo later, he's asleep at the moment and is lying on it so I don't want to disturb him Smile
jstaff wrote:Have you tried neosporian to help the cut heal. I'm not sure what the equivalent is there but it's designed to help healing and prevent scaring.

Also a sock or ace bandage on it will help keep him from licking.
No, I'll try to find some of that when I go out later, thanks. I was thinking about covering it but wasn't sure what to use so that he wouldn't try to pull it off.

Thank you both for your advice thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:44

Just an update, I went out and bought a pack of baby socks after the last post and have been putting Savlon on him 3 times a day and covering the sore with a sock when he's in the house, and it's almost completely healed, just a small bald patch there now Big Grin

Thanks again for the advice Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:52

Thanks for the update, that's great news! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:53

Chris SW wrote:Just an update, I went out and bought a pack of baby socks after the last post and have been putting Savlon on him 3 times a day and covering the sore with a sock when he's in the house, and it's almost completely healed, just a small bald patch there now Big Grin

Thanks again for the advice Smile

thumbs up great news thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 12:05

Thanks Smile I was getting quite worried about it.

I'm planning to keep using the sock for a while to completely break the licking habit - it doesn't bother him at all and he lets me change it quite happily so long as there's food involved Laughing I just don't want him to go back to doing it once it's fully healed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 20 2013, 12:50

Pleased to read that Milton foot is finally healing. Rocky had a cut pad recently which was done on some broken glass, got some latex bandage stuff from the vet to keep it covered and it healed within about 2 weeks.

This is the wrap we got from the vets to cover his foot, it's called Vetwrap, they just gave us it we were not even charged for this Surprised
You can also buy it from Pets At Home:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/vetrap-bandaging-tape-by-3m-38867

Cut/Sore V01745
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 19:36

Thanks Kathy - I did look at that but because of where the wound was I thought I'd struggle to get a good covering. Plus he looks cute in his solo baby sock, of course Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:14

Chris SW wrote:Thanks Kathy - I did look at that but because of where the wound was I thought I'd struggle to get a good covering. Plus he looks cute in his solo baby sock, of course Laughing

Well now of course we all need to see a pic of him in his sock Laughing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:42

Laughing I'll take one when he wakes up then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 22:03

Best I can do for now, he won't keep still Laughing

Tonight, Milton is sporting the dark grey...

Cut/Sore 20130420_215604_zpsbe1262ab

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 20 2013, 22:12

Ahhh bless him, I've been waiting up for that shot Laughing Love Struck
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female