sore paw

3 posters

Go down

sore paw Empty sore paw

Post by dolly Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:50

Dolly our 19 month old staffie,keeps getting a sore red swollen paw,weve had tablets and cream from vet it was better for a while but has flared up again over wkend,she licks it a lot,any body had similar problems or any ideas what can be causing it ? were having her spayed this wk so gonna ask vet to have a good look while shes asleep,as she not keen on letting us have a good look doh

dolly
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : dolly
Dog(s) Ages : 19 month
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

sore paw Empty Re: sore paw

Post by Kathy Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:53

Our Global Mod Caryll had a similar sounding problem with her EBT Dempsey, hopefully she will be along sometime to offer some helpful advice.

It could be an allergy to grass ???
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:00

How long has she had it? Did it come on suddenly or more gradually?

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:18

first time was when she had been on the beach,thats when we had her to vets,had a couple of other spells but seemed to clear up,just started again yesterday we havnt had her on beach,just usuall walks

dolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:20

I think Dempsey had a grass seed lodged in his paw didn't he Kathy?

Anyways, was she licking alot before it got red and sore? Was it around her toes she was licking? I ask because staffies can get a build up of yeast in their feet, mainly between the toes, and this causes them to lick and nibble alot, which in turn can make the feet red, sore and swollen.

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:36

first we noticed she was limping and licking it a lot we had been on grass and on beach,its right up inside her pad thats red and swollen and only her left paw,first time was about three months ago,had a couple off spells that wer,nt so bad and cleared up,this time seems like first time,licking pad its red and sometimes she holding it up when standing so not wanting a put weight on it

dolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:38

Sounds like it is causing her some pain, I think a phone call to the vet may be in order just for your peace of mind.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:44

I agree, a visit to the vet would be a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:45

I agree , trip to the vets Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:47

Thanks for your help,we will get vet to have a look

dolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jun 03 2012, 21:49

I doubt it's an allergy as it's only affecting one paw. Could well be something stuck, definitely get your vet to have a really good luck when she goes in for her spay. Hope they find out what's causing it Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 23:33

I agree with a vet trip as well. Our English Bulldog had a grass seed lodged in her paw. The vet ended up having to make a small incision to get it out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:08

shontelle wrote:
Anyways, was she licking alot before it got red and sore? Was it around her toes she was licking? I ask because staffies can get a build up of yeast in their feet, mainly between the toes, and this causes them to lick and nibble alot, which in turn can make the feet red, sore and swollen.

This i feel is the most likely cause.
In human terms shes got something similar to Athletes foot.
The yeast infection thrives in warm moist areas in-between her toes. You need to tell her off and stop her from licking her feet as much as you can.
Wash her feet after walks, more so if shes been out on wet grass.
My girl Sky use to get this and her constant licking and nibbling caused her to get a cyst between her toe Sad
The cyst i burst my self after a few days of foot/leg massages in hot water ( well as hot as i thought she could bare) with salty water.
To prevent it from getting to this stage you need to get your self some THORNITS POWDER. This is the old Canker powder you could get years ago in the pet shop.
Its good for yeast infections in the ears and feet.
Simply put some powder into a plastic bag, put the dogs paw in the bag and work the powder into the paw and pads plus up the leg a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:18

Thanks for that tip,it seems as if it might b something like that because today its not as red and she not licking it so much,we do keep stopping her when we see her licking it,like i said she getting spayed tomorrow so i,ll get vet to have a good look while shes asleep just incase something in it,but ill defo get some powder,im all chewed up about her op tomorrow,i know she be ok but she,s so soft and gentle we just love her to bits,thanks again i,ll let you know what vet says

dolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:21

Best of luck and good luck in keeping her quiet after the op. Hope she makes a speedy recovery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:23

Denise wrote:
shontelle wrote:

This i feel is the most likely cause.
In human terms shes got something similar to Athletes foot.
The yeast infection thrives in warm moist areas in-between her toes. You need to tell her off and stop her from licking her feet as much as you can.
Wash her feet after walks, more so if shes been out on wet grass.
My girl Sky use to get this and her constant licking and nibbling caused her to get a cyst between her toe Sad
The cyst i burst my self after a few days of foot/leg massages in hot water ( well as hot as i thought she could bare) with salty water.
To prevent it from getting to this stage you need to get your self some THORNITS POWDER. This is the old Canker powder you could get years ago in the pet shop.
Its good for yeast infections in the ears and feet.
Simply put some powder into a plastic bag, put the dogs paw in the bag and work the powder into the paw and pads plus up the leg a bit.

Thanks for the tip, Charlie licks his feet sometimes. He always stops when he's told and hasn't caused himself any problems yet but I'll remember the Thornit tip Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 21:52

Only just seen this, sorry! Yes, Dempsey had a sore paw - his was due to a grass awn (not just the seed, but the feathery bit attached to it!) getting lodged in between his toes & then working its way right up to his wrist! I dont want to s It had to be almost dug out with needle forceps under anaesthetic.

But he also sometimes gets sore paws when the grass is newly cut & he seems to be sensitive to grass sap. I usually bathe it in warm salty water (or somebody recommended Hibiscrub, but I haven't used that yet) and then smear some sudocrem on it. It seems to relieve the irritation.

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly Thu Jun 07 2012, 12:18

Dolly just started trying to eat the long feathery bits on top of grass dont let her if i can stop her,vet says her paw is staffie skin problem going to talk to me tomorrow when take her for check up

dolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content