dealing with the heat

5 posters

Go down

dealing with the heat Empty dealing with the heat

Post by brutusindubai Sun Mar 17 2013, 14:44

Hi All,

I know some of the folk that are based in the UK will put a body warmer on their dog when walking in winter. For those that live in warmer environments, have you ever used, or know of anyone that has used a cool vest? Similar to the ones that people use? If so, how did it go? Trying to think of ways to keep the dog cool when walking as it is starting to heat up.

A quick google search revealed these:
http://coolvest4dog.com/
http://www.glaciertek.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Dogs_Equine.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
http://www.coolweave.com.au/k9_cooling_vest.htm
http://mustluvdogs.ca/
Cheers

brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

dealing with the heat Empty Re: dealing with the heat

Post by Jackieb Sun Mar 17 2013, 14:54

When it's hot here in summer - last summer I filled a balloon up with water n froze it. Gave it to the dogs to play with the next day- they loved it. (once frozen u can peel the balloon off)

Also a small pool for them to lay in, plenty of shade, fans indoors and I even had a plastic storage box filled with water and ice cubes thst I used to put their toys in outside so they would have to get them out and in the process they are drinking.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Sun Mar 17 2013, 15:07

Cheers Jackie. We are having a dog door installed so he can basically come and go as he pleases. Air con will be on for him all day and prob evening too. Its mainly the walks I'm worried about. It can be 40 in the shade here in Summer. Also, at 6:30pm, when it's likely we will walk him, its likely to still be mid 30's so any comfort we can give is best. We have a kid paddle pool which we have filled, but he tends to look at it and bark.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 17 2013, 16:06

When it does eventually get a little bit warmer here in the "Summer" we just walk Rocky earlier in the day and later in the evening to avoid the heat of the day where possible. We make sure he has fresh drinking available in the flat as well as outside in the garden, but bring the bowl in at night.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sun Mar 17 2013, 23:38

During the last month it has been really hot in Melbourne and I have had to take Maxi on a walk really early in the morning before it gets over 30 degrees and then do a really late one around 11pm and even then it has still been around 30-35 degrees so it has been hard getting her regular exercise done but I feel like the heat itself tires her out so she still happily sleeps during the day and don't go hyper.

On the worst days I have gotten her into her shell pool before the walks so she is wet and stays a little cooler for a while at least and then same thing when we get back.

I usually put out wet towels on the floor at home that she can lay on if she gets hot during the day and obviously heaps of water for her to drink but our house tends to stay relatively cool.

EDIT:
Just saw your second message. Maxi usually don't like the shell pool either unless she is superhot but I usually manage to get her in with a few treats and then I pour some water over her.
Another thing, id you live close to the ocean or a lake or something then you might be able to take her on a swim/walk on the beach instead? I drive down to the beach on some hot days and then she can swim and play and that usually tires her out more than a walk and she stays cool.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dealing with the heat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18 2013, 05:08

Over here if it's extremely hot we went them down before going on the walk. We also keep a plastic shell out filled with water and ice cubes and I make tasty iceys for them to have during the day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18 2013, 22:57

Steff loves her shell pool Love Struck As for walks, we have a morning walk at around 5:30am and a evening walk followed by off lead play in the park.. We usually go about 7pm.. Have not tried the cool vests but they look like a good idea Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Mar 18 2013, 23:19

Mine love sprinklers! Sometimes if you let them get a bit wet before their walk they can deal with it a bit better, but they dry fast!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Tue Mar 19 2013, 12:32

Thanks for the advice all. Hadn't thought of hosing him down before a walk. It's getting warm now, 34 today and its only March. May look in to the best as well, and hopefully a combination of early morning, vest and hiding down will keep him happy.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down