dealing with distraction

3 posters

Go down

dealing with distraction Empty dealing with distraction

Post by micheled Tue Jun 12 2012, 03:31

Callie is doing well with simple commands, loose leash walking...as long we are at home or on our little street. Did pretty well at a busy park yesterday, but we were walking and walking, so other than a little pulling (and I stop dead, and she sits...) she was occupied.

BUT...she is a nightmare at my son's baseball games, and was again tonight. Pulls, jumps on strangers, drags my chair over. A few little kids wanted to greet her tonight and she was so jumpy that I held her in my arms to let them say hi, I was afraid she'd knock them down or scratch them. Interestingly she would sometimes come back to me and give me a good "sit" or "down" when I called her so had not completely lost her puppy mind.

What's the best way to get her used to these situations? Do you actively train her while there? Is she just little and too excited to contain herself? Fortunately everyone was very understanding (moms on the other team liked her and fed her pretzels) but I would like to know how to get her to be better behaved.
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

dealing with distraction Empty Re: dealing with distraction

Post by janey Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:23

I think imho that you need to distract her from the distractions! If someone wants to great her and pet her make sure she sits, even if you have her by the collar so she is unable to jump, all the time saying sit and maybe have a treat in you hand whilst she does it so all the time you are in control, try a taking cat biscuits they have a stronger smell.

Its a learning curve and one that may take a while, Moo still gets a puppy head on sometimes when we are walking and goes to jump, but I have to be one step ahead and say 'No' or 'Down' in a firm voice and it usually does the trick, just remember though she is still a puppy and these things will come with time training and a little maturity, although I still think they get baby brains at times lol Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:49

I would go with what Janey says above, have her sit to greet people and try to be calm. This will also be good training for when you have guests at home.

I would try to get away from holding her in your arms when greeting people as this will be very difficult when she is bigger.

A treat may well do the trick she will then know that good behaviour will get rewarded. Good luck with it all.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:48

Definitele agree with Janey. It can take a while, and she'll forget her manners every so often, but just be consistent.

I've always trained my pups wherever I've been - home, park, town centre, watching my son's football matches etc. Nothing too much, but a few 2 minute sessions of "sit" or "watch" etc. I don't do "down" in busy situations until they're absolutely comfortable with it because it's a vulnerable position for a dog to be in & they can be very uncomfortable lying down in stressful situations until they're more mature & confident.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 11:17

Agree with Janey as well and repitition also will help

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down