Peeing becoming unbearable

4 posters

Go down

Peeing becoming unbearable  Empty Peeing becoming unbearable

Post by reggie0512 Wed Mar 06 2013, 22:46

Hi all, first time poster so be gentle!

I have scanned briefly for similar problems but come to no avail...

Reggie, my 5 year old 'intact' male staffy over the last month has started peeing in the house everywhere. we've had him for 4 years and he's had no problems at all in this area. always relieved himself in the correct areas (outside). At first it was when he was left on his own for a few hours (he's never left on his own for any longer than 3 hours) he would pee up the sofa. Thought taking him for an extra walk before he would be left for any longer than an hour or so he could 'relieve' himself, no change. (In regards to walks, he goes on 3 a day anyway - 1 morning for 15-20mins, 1 evening 30-35mins and 1 night time for 15-20mins) now he's not just peeing up the sofa but now he's peeing up the dining room table legs, cabinets, cooker, doors, i left my toolbox out in the kitchen floor for no longer than 2 minutes over the weekend only to come back to find it had been peed up. we have no other pets in the house, nothing has changed in the household, im just lost as what to do as he's slowly ruining all the furniture.

a bit of a ramble i know and i hope it makes sense, help would be tremendously appreciated.

questions for additional information also very much appreciated as i really do want this problem sorted.

thanks in advance
Karl
reggie0512
reggie0512
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Peeing becoming unbearable  Empty Re: Peeing becoming unbearable

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 22:58

What are you using to clean up the areas where he has peed ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 23:03

Welcome Reggie!

Unfortunately, a male dog's peeing is not just about relieving a full bladder. He uses peeing as a marking of his territory, which is why when he's out on a walk he doesn't dump it all at the first opportunity, but saves most of it to mark and mark again.

I have the same problem with my intact 14 month old dog who has very adequate exercise as well as access to the garden whenever he wants to relieve himself. But he still can't resist the urge to mark his territory indoors.

I too would be interested in others' opinions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 23:14

Have you also had him to the vet to check for any water infection

Back to top Go down

Post by reggie0512 Wed Mar 06 2013, 23:25

Dave wrote:What are you using to clean up the areas where he has peed ??

we'd been using some 'whoopsie' cleaner - or something like that, cant remember the name of it now. we got it when he was a pup, but never needed it! but if you could recommend a decent/proven cleaner which i could try?

Lynda wrote:Welcome Reggie!

Unfortunately, a male dog's peeing is not just about relieving a full bladder. He uses peeing as a marking of his territory, which is why when he's out on a walk he doesn't dump it all at the first opportunity, but saves most of it to mark and mark again.

I have the same problem with my intact 14 month old dog who has very adequate exercise as well as access to the garden whenever he wants to relieve himself. But he still can't resist the urge to mark his territory indoors.

I too would be interested in others' opinions.

thanks for the welcome Lynda. i do understand the whole 'marking' thing but im just at a loss as to whats triggered this, as i say, he's never done it in the 4 years ive had him.

Dave wrote:Have you also had him to the vet to check for any water infection

he is due for a checkup in the next month or so i believe so i will try and bring that forward.
reggie0512
reggie0512

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 00:15

I'm sorry I have never had this problem with any of the male dogs I have owned so I'm not much help.. It will be interesting to see what others recommend Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Mar 07 2013, 07:21

he not getting walk long enough 45 mins each time Smile will stop this

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reggie0512 Fri Mar 08 2013, 00:12

Steve wrote:he not getting walk long enough 45 mins each time Smile will stop this

I'll give this a try but I'm pretty sure this sudden change in behaviour towards lifting his leg against most vertical objects in the house cant be down to walking lengths/times?! we've done exactly the same walking routine (3x a day for a total time of anything from 1-1.5hrs depending on speed/route) for 4ish years and nothing until now.
I've ran through so many things over and over in case some seemingly insignificant change to his/our routine but really have drawn a blank....
but as said, i will give this a try and see if there is any change in this newly adapted habit.

thanks for your suggestion (along with everybody else's)
reggie0512
reggie0512

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Mar 08 2013, 00:42

Welcome! We had a bit of that with Monte at one time and used a belly band on him in the house. When he went to pee, he peed himself and didn't like that. Bit messy, but got it sorted out rather quickly. He was 18 months at that point. Now he is almost 3 and has never done it since.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 10:52

I'd say that it's more likely to be a UTI. If it is, then a simple course of antibiotics from the vet will clear it up.

In the meantime, make sure you clean up thoroughly with an appropriate cleaner, as if he can still smell the pee he'll continue to 'mark' over it & it'll become a learned habit. A solution of biological washing powder or liquid is ideal for the job!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 11:53

Sounds like a uti/anxiety to me. I would go back to basics and let him out every 30mins and keep him confined to the kitchen if possible when you need to leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 19:52

Ben, I was interested to hear about the belly band. But I don't know what it is! Can you enlighten me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 19:57

Lynda wrote:Ben, I was interested to hear about the belly band. But I don't know what it is! Can you enlighten me?

Just had a look Lynda they are like incontinence parts for dogs, sell them on amazon

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 08 2013, 19:59

I again not had to deal with this, tyke wnt even avert his leg still wee's like a girl! Haha

I would be inclined to say a uti aswell and may just beed ruling out! The belly band seens instresting and i would advice may confide to the kitchen or some were things will not get ruined untill u have some sort of answer! Sorry i ca nit be much help
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:00

Oh thank you Dave. Might give them a try - Kuchar is a sneaky little so-and-so and I don't find out that he has anointed something until it is way too late Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:06

Lynda wrote:Oh thank you Dave. Might give them a try - Kuchar is a sneaky little so-and-so and I don't find out that he has anointed something until it is way too late Sad

Just found this Smile

http://www.bellybands.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:09

Very interesting! You're a pal Dave, thank you.

Oh and I'm so glad you've got rid of "Mini-me" Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:20

Sorry, Lynda, Dave (as is very common) beat me too it. Yes a belly band is exactly as shown. It is not the official normal use for one, but most dogs don't like to wizz on their tummy. Hope it helps!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:32

Thanks Ben, I hope so too! And thank you for bringing this idea to our attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by reggie0512 Fri Mar 08 2013, 21:16

Ben wrote:Welcome! We had a bit of that with Monte at one time and used a belly band on him in the house. When he went to pee, he peed himself and didn't like that. Bit messy, but got it sorted out rather quickly. He was 18 months at that point. Now he is almost 3 and has never done it since.

this sounds like a very good solution, i will most definitely be ordering one of these over the weekend and after a few days of use after it arrives i'll post results. thank you

Caryll wrote:I'd say that it's more likely to be a UTI. If it is, then a simple course of antibiotics from the vet will clear it up.

In the meantime, make sure you clean up thoroughly with an appropriate cleaner, as if he can still smell the pee he'll continue to 'mark' over it & it'll become a learned habit. A solution of biological washing powder or liquid is ideal for the job!

as said in one of my previous posts, he does have an annual checkup in a month or so and will call the vets to arrange for this to be brought forward. also, thank you for the cleaning tip.

rebeccaleanne wrote:I again not had to deal with this, tyke wnt even avert his leg still wee's like a girl! Haha

I would be inclined to say a uti aswell and may just beed ruling out! The belly band seens instresting and i would advice may confide to the kitchen or some were things will not get ruined untill u have some sort of answer! Sorry i ca nit be much help

thanks for the interest shown, as above, i will be able to confirm if it is UTI or not when i have contacted the vet and brought forward his checkup.

and also thanks to everybody's suggestions and interest in this matter, very much appreciated!
reggie0512
reggie0512

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down