Genetic - Breeders?

3 posters

Go down

Genetic -  Breeders? Empty Genetic - Breeders?

Post by kitmoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:46

Hello All,

I have been in love with the Staffordshire breed for years. I got my little angel 3 1/2 years ago, she has been my best friend since. I recently breed her to another registered pure breed Staffordshire, when the pups were born there was a high percentage (3 out of 8 ) of puppies with cleft palates. Since this is a genetic defect. I have read about this and am seeking some advise from experienced breeders. I do not own the sire and the owner of the sire wants to keep one of the dogs and breed him. He keeps telling me it is breed standard to have this and that it is common.

Is it common and something I shouldn't be worried about breeding into the lines of the staffys? Any help would be great. I am new to breeding and would like to get all my male dogs fixed if this is an issue. I did research my dam's line and there is no sign of this deform though it is in the sires line. Though I am not planning on breeding her again.

I do have other questions, if anyone would like to mentor me that would be awesome.

Thanks!

kitmoe
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Genetic -  Breeders? Empty Re: Genetic - Breeders?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:50

It is more common in Staffords than in some other breeds, but it certainly isn't a part of the breed standard. It is generally accepted that cleft palates may be hereditary, and so dogs with cleft palates or dogs who have produced cleft palates should not be bred from.

If you have other questions, do feel free to post them all on here. Smile We'll be happy to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:57

Hi & welcome to the forum. It'd be great if you'd post an introduction here....
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Cleft Palate is certainly not something in the breed standard, but I suspect that he meant that it was common & acceptable? It certainly isn't!

Although cleft palates can occur in any litter, 3 in one would definitely indicate a genetic predisposition, and I wouldn't breed from any of the pups from that litter. I take it the stud dog owner is saying that his dog isn't 'to blame'?

Why does the stud's owner want to keep a pup - was it part of the stud arrangement? If not, you have every right to refuse to let him have one; as the owner of the bitch, the pups are yours & you have the right to sell or not to sell to whomever you want!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:00

When you do sell them, make sure that the new owners are aware that three of the pups have cleft palates - even if they're not buying one of those pups, they should know it's in the genetics.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:06

hi and welcome, i am not a breeder and do nto know much. But i would agree with eleanor and caryll. The stud having one of the pups has got to be agreed on the stud arrangement and also new prospective owners of the pups should be notified.

sorry i couldnt help much but anything else you have in the future please post away and one of us generally have the answers Smile

would love to see some pics of your angel
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:09

If they are kennel club registered you can endorse a the pedigrees . Tick the box that says "progeny not for registration. This won't stop someone breeding but could put them off as they won't be able to register any resulting puppies with the kennel club.
I would be v fussy who they go to . Explain they will not be able to breed from them and it will put off any homes that have that in mind.
You won't be able to castrate or spay and pups or enforce this so it's really important they go to sensible owners.
Good luck x
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by kitmoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:17

Thank you guys so much. I have gotten into a disagreement with the owner of the sire, because of this. I plan to notify the homes for the 5 males but the other breeder does not want to disclose this. So this genetic trait is not breed into other staffys. The 3 cleft pallet dogs were humanly euthanized at the vets. I do not know many breeders with staffy's in the US or near where I live, so I thought I needed extra advise, in case it was standard to have this defect.

Racamoe,

Thank you Registration is another issue with these pups. Both the sire and dam are AKC registered, I think the breeder of the sire has already registered the pups but I am concerned about the breeding. There is a way to register them but not allow further registrations (incase they were breed) to be registered?

kitmoe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by kitmoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:20

Caryll,

Yes it was part of the agreement that the breeder of the sire would get a pup. He has produced puppies with cleft pallets before but did not disclose this to me before his male matted with my dam.

kitmoe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Genetic -  Breeders? Empty little angels

Post by kitmoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:25

Genetic -  Breeders? CroppedGenetic -  Breeders? Cropped2

kitmoe

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:25

I wandered if they would be put to sleep because I have heard this defect stops pups from suckling in severe cases.
I am sorry I don't know anything about the American kennel club myself , it would be worth contacting them.
Do what is best for the future of the pups and not what is best for the stud dog owner . Hope you can sort this out Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:27

They are very sweet !! Smile
I would let your kennel club that this sire is producing puppies with this condition and the owner is doing it knowing this is the case !!
Sad
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down