mounting question!

Go down

mounting question! Empty mounting question!

Post by canthavethat Sat Feb 23 2013, 11:34

3 days ago we took in Bailey, an unwanted female staff-cross-something, about 11 months old. Not spayed, she hasn't had a season yet and is showing no signs of one, but this morning Rocky has been desperate to mount her. He is neutered and doesn't normally try to hump anything. Since there are no signs (no bleeding, no swelling, no extra attention from other dogs) I assumed it was just dominant behaviour from him. She wasn't happy about being pestered and I have separated them, but he is really whining to get to her, and if I let them back together he starts the same thing again.

I'm not experienced with bitches, but even the vet yesterday agreed there was nothing to indicate an impending season. So why is Rocky so desperate to mount her? If it was as I thought just dominant behaviour, surely when I separated them he would just give up? Can't understand why he is whining so much about it, unless she is due in season and he's the only one aware of it? Should I take his behaviour as a warning that she might be due, especially given her age and the fact that she hasn't had one yet?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

mounting question! Empty Re: mounting question!

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23 2013, 11:56

As you said it may be a dominating thing.. With a new bitch in the house he may just be displaying signs of dominance..

But at 11months if she hasn't had her 1st season I believe she would be very close..

confused Sorry I'm not very experienced in these things.. I'm sure someone will be able to offer better advice to you soon..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23 2013, 13:07

Dogs can sense an impending season far better than we can, so it's certainly possible.

Dominance is also a possibility though. Just a waiting game, I suppose!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down