help on showing maisie

2 posters

Go down

help on showing maisie Empty help on showing maisie

Post by spenc Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:59

Hi some of you may know I own the sister to Dave's tommy and at the moment she is doing ring craft with possibilities that we may show her all depends on how she gets on and if she enjoys it as the moment she seams to right to my dilemma everything goes well with Maisie in ring craft until the judges want too check her over e.g teeth ears that's when she thinks they just want to stroke her and decides to get call excited lol so my question is when you started showing yours how did you all overcome this little problem any advice would be great
Thanks ian
spenc
spenc
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blain and maisie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male + female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

help on showing maisie Empty Re: help on showing maisie

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:07

That's a tough one. To be honest, I've showed several dogs & they've all been ok with judges going over them. I just made sure that I taught them to stand nicely & quietly & everywhere I went I'd get total strangers to gently run their hands over them while they stood still.

Practice, practice, practice!

Most judges nowadays want you to show the teeth yourself. I think they're far more concerned about getting bitten than they used to be! So you'll need her to stand still while you gently pull her lips away from the front of her teeth, and then at each side to show the bite & whether or not the canines are placed properly. If the judge wants to do it himself, just gently hold her head still.

What do they do at your ring craft classes?

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:38

Caryll wrote:That's a tough one. To be honest, I've showed several dogs & they've all been ok with judges going over them. I just made sure that I taught them to stand nicely & quietly & everywhere I went I'd get total strangers to gently run their hands over them while they stood still.

Practice, practice, practice!

Most judges nowadays want you to show the teeth yourself. I think they're far more concerned about getting bitten than they used to be! So you'll need her to stand still while you gently pull her lips away from the front of her teeth, and then at each side to show the bite & whether or not the canines are placed properly. If the judge wants to do it himself, just gently hold her head still.

What do they do at your ring craft classes?
Only just started taking her will be her 3rd time next week at the moment they don't seem to bothered with that they just want to get her to stand still and get her stance right and move on from that its just myself that wants to get her use to being touched she is OK with myself and wife just anyone else she thinks its a game lol
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:44

Good luck with it Ian , she's a little belter . I think the fussing must run in the family though as I've had a lot of work with Tommy on that score and it is just patience , he still has his moments but generally much calmer when he's being stroked. Also a tip from my trainer that worked very well was stroking from behind so they don't make the eye contact , he was very stable like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:46

She will think it's a game for a while yet!

I've always started at about 9 or 10 weeks old, so by the time we've got to ring craft/training classes they've already been fairly calm.

Just give her a little time to get acustomed to it all - she'll get used to it eventually!

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 09:05

Caryll wrote:She will think it's a game for a while yet!

I've always started at about 9 or 10 weeks old, so by the time we've got to ring craft/training classes they've already been fairly calm.

Just give her a little time to get acustomed to it all - she'll get used to it eventually!
cheers caryll we will keep practicing she is getting better just the excitement issue Laughing
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 09:08

Dave wrote:Good luck with it Ian , she's a little belter . I think the fussing must run in the family though as I've had a lot of work with Tommy on that score and it is just patience , he still has his moments but generally much calmer when he's being stroked. Also a tip from my trainer that worked very well was stroking from behind so they don't make the eye contact , he was very stable like that.
thanks Dave we will give that a go as well have you thought about showing tommy he is a little stunner himself think he will do well ?
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 10:34

Also, when the judge approaches her, stand beside her & gently stroke the inside of her thigh, right at the top - that will often calm down both sexes!!

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 12:08

Caryll wrote:Also, when the judge approaches her, stand beside her & gently stroke the inside of her thigh, right at the top - that will often calm down both sexes!!
thanks for that tip
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 15:15

spenc wrote:
Caryll wrote:Also, when the judge approaches her, stand beside her & gently stroke the inside of her thigh, right at the top - that will often calm down both sexes!!
thanks for that tip

There was a time when that didn't use to work Blushing Now you need to get us some pics from the ringcraft Ian , we don't see so many on here , all advice comes at a cost Big Grin and I think you have been a bit tight on sharing Maisie on here with us, a few pics of Blain wouldn't go amiss either him being such a cracking looking boy

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 15:58

Dave wrote:
spenc wrote:
thanks for that tip

There was a time when that didn't use to work Blushing Now you need to get us some pics from the ringcraft Ian , we don't see so many on here , all advice comes at a cost Big Grin and I think you have been a bit tight on sharing Maisie on here with us, a few pics of Blain wouldn't go amiss either him being such a cracking looking boy
this is true dave will get some on for you all I keep forgetting my log in details but have now wrote them down so I don't forget Laughing have got some pics from a show in nantwitch in January and going tomorrow to a show in stoke psbtc limited show so will get some pics from there trouble we have with blain he is camera shy camera out blain runs and hides Blushing but have a few so will get them on over next few days
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 16:03

Is Andy showing tomorrow as well , think its one of his regulars the potteries show isn't it ??

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 16:26

spenc wrote:Hi some of you may know I own the sister to Dave's tommy and at the moment she is doing ring craft with possibilities that we may show her all depends on how she gets on and if she enjoys it as the moment she seams to right to my dilemma everything goes well with Maisie in ring craft until the judges want too check her over e.g teeth ears that's when she thinks they just want to stroke her and decides to get call excited lol so my question is when you started showing yours how did you all overcome this little problem any advice would be great
Thanks ian
here we are dave a few pics of maisie and blain will post some more over next few days
DSC02127 DSC02044 DSC0204 DSC02034 DSC01983 DSC02033
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 16:28

Sorry mate I can't see them , this is how you need to do it

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 17:06

Dave wrote:Is Andy showing tomorrow as well , think its one of his regulars the potteries show isn't it ??
yeah he is Dave when spoke to linzi other day Izzy is entered
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Sat Feb 09 2013, 17:10

Dave wrote:Sorry mate I can't see them , this is how you need to do it

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum
yeah Dave was on new laptop running windows 8 so will go on my desktop over next few days and do it off that out working now so on my tablet but will sort it Laughing
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Mon Feb 11 2013, 14:04

few pics of blain and maisie as promised will post some more later
help on showing maisie DSC02041help on showing maisie DSC02120help on showing maisie DSC02127help on showing maisie DSC02044help on showing maisie DSC02040help on showing maisie DSC02033
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Mon Feb 11 2013, 16:05

lovely pics:) sorry to but in on this thread :/
I am hoping to show our wee girl :-) . We will
be attending ringcraft Which is held once a month and I will be bother the breeder for lots of tips Smile
I am wary of getting the balance of practise right. I don't want to turn up and be laughed out of the ring but also don't want to over practising and make her fed up.
How much practice do people do a day with their digs and any tips on how to make it fun.I don't want it to take over from
other basic training , like toileting and nipping etc Smile
We get our pup first wk in march Smile hope to see some of you from here at shows SmileSmile
I have worked out that our first show will be Leeds champ show when she is 6 months .
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 16:40

What I did was, right from the start, just hold the pup in as close a show stand as possible for a few seconds, using whatever word you want to use for the purpose. Once the pup will stand still without a problem,start to attract her attention with a treat or a squeaky toy.

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Mon Feb 11 2013, 17:22

Thanks Caryll :-)
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by spenc Mon Feb 11 2013, 19:06

racamoe wrote:lovely pics:) sorry to but in on this thread :/
I am hoping to show our wee girl :-) . We will
be attending ringcraft Which is held once a month and I will be bother the breeder for lots of tips Smile
I am wary of getting the balance of practise right. I don't want to turn up and be laughed out of the ring but also don't want to over practising and make her fed up.
How much practice do people do a day with their digs and any tips on how to make it fun.I don't want it to take over from
other basic training , like toileting and nipping etc Smile
We get our pup first wk in march Smile hope to see some of you from here at shows SmileSmile
I have worked out that our first show will be Leeds champ show when she is 6 months .
hi no problem you wont be laught out of the ring everyone has to start at some point we have only started ourselves 4 weeks ago so I am no expert ourselves they understand and are there to help you we train maisie on average 2 to 3 times a day for 10 mins max and up it too 4 when we are getting near ring class she never complains and after we have finished practising we have 5 mins of play time as well hope this helps Big Grin
spenc
spenc

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down