A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue

4 posters

Go down

A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue Empty A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:11

Afternoon all,

so, I'm going to take the mick a little and ask for some help and advice 15 minutes after I join the forums.

The wife and I have, in the last few days, brought home a gorgeous Staffy bitch. She's 3 years old and from a great home. We visited her a couple of times to make sure she was OK, she was just getting a little much for the owner who, six weeks ago, gave birth to her third kid and was struggling.

This is in no way my first dog, or my first rescue dog, but she is my first Staffordshire and my first bitch and there are a couple of odd things since bringing her home that I've noticed that I thought I should ask about.

Firstly, and most importantly, she has a brilliant habit of trying to hump me. Anytime she gets slightly excited she will jump on me and try to have her way with me Surprised It's not really a problem, but I want her to feel at home and I don't feel good having to drag her off me by her collar and tell me off. She doesn't do it to the wife, thankfully. But in an issue we had with a loose bitch this morning, she did try to hump her too!

Everything else is normal stuff that I put down to anxiety (although would love someone to confirm it please) stuff like sleeping alot, not eating much, hiding her treats about the house and sleeping really restlessly/fidgeting lots during REM sleep but I have seen all these before in rescues. The humping is my biggest concern to be honest.

Any help and advice is really appreciated.

Thanks all.

Andrew and Cookie

TroubleMaker411
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cookie
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue Empty Re: A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:16

The humping has to be controlled with a firm no and turning your back , try a little timeout if she doesn't listen. You could also try a short lead in the house just to keep her down
This may still be part of stress behaviour from just losing her home as well so you have to be patient , I would agree with all of the other behavior pointing to her not being settled and it will take time. Just make sure she can find you at her own pace and give her plenty of her own space , they are an incredibly sensitive breed

Back to top Go down

A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue Empty Thank you

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:23

Thanks for the advice.

I did think that it may well be down to the stress from the move, but she is my first staffy and my first bitch so I wanted a second opinion.
the short lead indoors seems like a great idea. Thank you for that.

For the most part, she is great. As I type, she is curled up asleep next to me and when I move she will follow me around like, well, a puppy Big Grin

Thank you again

TroubleMaker411

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue Empty Re: A Few Behavior Concerns from A Rescue

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:32

As she gets settled you will find her to be the most loyal and faithful animal you have ever owned . I got my first staff on the strength of a girl my cousin rescued and wasn't dissapointed .

My 2 just stay my me all day , 1 laid in my pc chair behind me , the other keeping my toes warm Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:37

Everybody I know has said the exact same thing.

Thanks again for the advice, it's really appreciated

TroubleMaker411

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:39

You're welcome that's what we are here for but don't forget we do charge a small fee , it's to hang around a nd post a bit , join in and give us regular pictures Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:41

Sounds like the behaviour is a result of being re homed and all the upset of it. Just give her a firm NO to any unwanted behaviour and plenty of time to settle in with you.

Does she have some chew toys as this may relieve some of the stress she is experiencing, a stag bar would be a good idea she can have a good chew of that without any worries of eating something she shouldn't.

Rocky still has bad dreams sometimes and I just go to him and gently stroke his head until the dream has passed. Hiding her treats is a sign that she may not have been fed properly before or she is just storing it for later, she may not be hungry right now. Are you feeding her the same as she had before ?

I'm sure she will settle down soon just give her time.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:51

Dave wrote:You're welcome that's what we are here for but don't forget we do charge a small fee , it's to hang around a nd post a bit , join in and give us regular pictures Big Grin
All fees that I'll gladly pay Smile

Kathy wrote:Sounds like the behaviour is a result of being re homed and all the upset of it. Just give her a firm NO to any unwanted behaviour and plenty of time to settle in with you.

Does she have some chew toys as this may relieve some of the stress she is experiencing, a stag bar would be a good idea she can have a good chew of that without any worries of eating something she shouldn't.

Rocky still has bad dreams sometimes and I just go to him and gently stroke his head until the dream has passed. Hiding her treats is a sign that she may not have been fed properly before or she is just storing it for later, she may not be hungry right now. Are you feeding her the same as she had before ?

I'm sure she will settle down soon just give her time.
I've fully loaded her with chew toys and tug rope
She seems to love them!

Yes, I brought home food, treats etc from her original owner. She is eating, but it just doesn't seem to be much. I'm sure she'll be fine, I just panicked a little if I'm honest.

Thank you Big Grin Big Grin

Last edited by TroubleMaker411 on Sun Feb 03 2013, 18:01; edited 1 time in total

TroubleMaker411

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:51

our bitch was humping our male who we got a few weeks back down to dominance i think just do what others have said and all should be fine. It will take a while for her to settle though Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 18:04

Thank you all for your advice.

You've put my mind at ease. much obliged

TroubleMaker411

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Feb 03 2013, 18:32

good luck with her,im sure she settle in soon,must be confusing for them in a new home to begin with Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by TroubleMaker411 Sun Feb 03 2013, 18:35

stella wrote:good luck with her,im sure she settle in soon,must be confusing for them in a new home to begin with Smile
Thanks.
I'm sure it's all nerves. I'm sure none of us would like being uprooted like that!

TroubleMaker411

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 18:59

Some dogs just hide stuff, my Lola does all the time whereas Lily doesn't bother. It depends on their nature. Lola had a little stash hidden under a bush in the garden which icluded some toys and one my inhalers! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down