My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct?

5 posters

Go down

My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct? Empty My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct?

Post by Noah Wed Jan 30 2013, 22:20

As the title implies my pup can get a bit too eager on his play biting and even tries to bite me in the face making it impossible to give him a proper cuddling but this behaviour I think will subside naturally as he gets older and sheds his baby teeth.

Not everyone seems to think so though and when I had my first appointment at the veterinarian a little over a week ago she took him by the cheek, quite hard in my view, and said," No", to him when he started his 'biting'.
She said I should do that while laying him on his back holding him there until he lies totally still, this way learning him biting is not allowed and she even said to stick my finger down his throat when he is biting as they don't like that, guess it has to do with the gagging reflex.

Anyway, I've tried it a couple of times but feel awful for doing so and he only seems to get more intense while laying on his back, not stopping twitching his body, trying to get up on his feet again.

Today I also noticed he almost seemed a bit stressed out when I try to stroke him, like he feared I would do the same thing again and I felt so damn guilty as he is a wondeful little pup that always comes running to me when I call on him, as long as he isn't distracted by other people that is, hehe.
After seeing those stressed out eyes of his I immediatly started damage repair by having him on his back just letting him bite on a toy or a 'Kong' with a tasty treat on it while gently stroking his tummy and neck, this way letting him know I won't do that horrible( in my head it is) stuff again.

So my question is, am I right about my gut feeling not 'man-handling' him that way? Have gotten the same advice the vet gave from a couple of more people as well and seems to be a normal thing to do which I really can't wrap my head around since dog's rarely/ never try to dominate people.
Noah
Noah
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct? Empty Re: My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct?

Post by Eris Wed Jan 30 2013, 23:26

I think you're doing the right thing, I'm not a fan of using physical means to control dogs. All this dominance stuff based on wolves is outdated and flawed in my opinion. When my parents got our last puppy we did alot of 'alpha rolls' when he went through adolescence, and I really think this caused him alot of damage. It certainly prolonged any problems we had, as when we went to different techniques it all cleared up pretty sharpish.

With my new puppy, if he gets bitey (as they all do) I simply stop all interaction. I stand up and turn my back on him, or leave the room if it is safe to do so. You can also send him for time outs if necessary.

When you want to go and say hello again, stroke him calmly and of course encourage him to chew on more appropriate objects.

Hope this helps.
Eris
Eris
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct? Empty Re: My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct?

Post by shazney Thu Jan 31 2013, 01:00

Fingers down his throat, I don't think sooooooo, glad you are not taking your vets advice, she seems old fashioned and if she pinched my pups cheek hard like she did yours she would of been sorry, I would get a new vet.
shazney
shazney
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My pup bites a lot some times, am I responding correct? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 02:16

Don't watch or listen to anyone that tells you you have to be the boss of your dog. You're a not a dog so can't possibly be its boss. Vets re trained medically, not behaviorally.

Training a dog is about conditioning. Good behavior > good things happen. Bad behavior > bad things happen. The most important thing to remember about this is that a dog always wants to please, being praised is their drug. Being ignored or asked to leave the room is really good incentive to be better behaved!

So if your pup bites say no! And stand up and leave them and ignore them. You need to be consistent and do it every single time and make sure it is as soon as he so much as thinks about biting. don't be tempted to try just saying no! to see if he responds, do the full action until you can noticeably see your dog going to bite but stopping himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 02:38

If a vet gave me that advice I would immediately leave the office and find another vet. If you use physical dominance to control your pup it will only listen out of fear which is asking for serious trouble down the line. Positive reinforcement works much better. Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 02:53

I agree with the above comments, I would find another vet ASAP!! Makes me so angry that someone who is suppose to be there to give advice on your pet has no GOOD advice.. That is just appalling advice you were given.. Believe me use the link Jstaff posted above and be consistent and it will take a little while but it does work Big Grin And please don't ever try this vets advice, whats in your head is correct it is Horrible...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:37

I know personally if someone stuck their fingers down my throat I'd bite A LOT harder. That was def an unusual thing for the vet to advise. It's not your fault that you were told this but I'd agree with the others and yourself, not to do it again.

The reason he is stressed out, is exactly why you think "he feared I would do the same thing again". Dogs can become nervous of hands if they've been hit or disciplined hard.

Unfortunately, the only way to deal with bad behaviour is keep calm and think of a solution, which can be stressful as it can seem like you are acheiving nothing. As Hayley said "Good behavior > good things happen. Bad behavior > bad things happen". Sometimes Logan has really pushed my buttons in the past, but if I were to lose my temper and show frustration he is ten times worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 14:31

MatLogan wrote: That was def an unusual thing for the vet to advise.

Its not that uncommon unfortunately Sad lots of old timers use this method. Its generally makes dogs very head shy and snappy if you try to look in their mouth or at their teeth.

Out of interest how old was this vet? I sometimes think the older ones are a little out of date with animals. They know the medical stuff as its their job, but the other side of it is just gained from their own experience and if you learn the wrong way, you will teaach the wrong way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Thu Jan 31 2013, 15:50

First off thanks for all the responses,! Smile much appreciated and will most certainly not let it happen again as I will give her a good piece of my mind if she tries it once more, whenever our next appointment might be.
Unfortunately there isn't any other vet's to choose from in my town so will have to continue seeing her.

@Hayley, don't know her exact age but if I were to take a guess, at least in her 50's.
Noah
Noah

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 16:23

I disagree strongly with the finger punishment - a little disappointed that it was reccommended to you! The last thing you want is to have your dog obey you out of fear.

Often, people find that cancelling out all interaction with a dog when they have exhibited undesirable behaviour does the trick. A firm 'no' may also be used to add to the effect. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 07:28

I'm really glad you did some damage repair and tried to associate the dog being on his back with something positive so as to rebuild the comfort. Definitely stick with saying no and turning your back on him, and if he continues biting, put him out of the room for just a moment. Do it every single time and he'll get the hang of it. Vets know the medical stuff, but they're not behaviourists, so stay clear of them for anything other than the medical side of things Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 08:21

Tara wrote:I'm really glad you did some damage repair and tried to associate the dog being on his back with something positive so as to rebuild the comfort. Definitely stick with saying no and turning your back on him, and if he continues biting, put him out of the room for just a moment. Do it every single time and he'll get the hang of it. Vets know the medical stuff, but they're not behaviourists, so stay clear of them for anything other than the medical side of things Smile

Totally agree.

What a shame you can't go to another vet. Are there literally no others? Personally I wouldn't be at all happy with a vet that handled a pup that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by tysons mummy Sat Feb 02 2013, 22:50

we had that problem with Tyson when we got him but he was fully grown what we did was when he bites you squeal loudly it might take some time but it works give it a try let me know how you get on

tysons mummy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 23:17

Puppies bite and that's a fact, it's how they play and find out about their world. It is almost invariably NOT an aggressive action, and even in the rare event that it was, I am appalled that a vet in this enlightened day and age should take it upon him/herself to take hold of the puppy's cheeks, force the puppy into a submissive pose and OMG stick their fingers down the puppy's throat. Dan, can you really not find another vet? To be honest I'd rather no vet than this one. If you really have no choice then in your situation I would make it clear to your vet that your pup's training towards adulthood is your responsibility - the vet's responsibility is in medical matters only.

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Mon Feb 04 2013, 23:05

oh I wouldn't do the thing that your vet did .. hmm is your dog 14 weeks? did he change the teeth yet?
kateIrl
kateIrl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 22months
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down