Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas?

Go down

Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas? Empty Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:41

Hi everyone!

So, Logan is now 13 1/2 months old. He has gotten past most of his bad puppy habits such as chewing/mouthing/jumping, however from day 1 he has had a very irritating habit....barking at guests and at me when guests come round.

When it's just me at home or when he stays with my mum he is the best behaved dog you could possibly ask for. But when a visitor arrives and we all get sitting down he will stand a few metres back and bark at us. It a very non threatening bark, it could even be described a wimpy bark (think yappy yorkshire terrier). He will hide under the coffee table so nobody can get at him.

I've have tried a few different things to stop it...

• A firm "NO!", which works with most things.

• Ignoring him, which does nothing.

• Leaving the room.

• Playing with him, distracting him with toys.

None of this works.

He is well fed, has plenty of toys and gets loads of exercise. The only thing that will work sometimes is if I sit on the floor with him and wait for ages until the moment has past, but he will then start again in 5-10 mins.

I am in no way a dog trainer, I feel it is possibly a jealousy thing?

I wonder do any of you have ideas on how to deal with him? If I could get this sorted I'd be so happy!

Back to top Go down

Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas? Empty Re: Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas?

Post by Mark Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:51

I can't answer that one our dogs bark initially then jump up at visitors then just lie down after about 5 mins. What about putting him in another room would that help Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas? Empty Re: Breaking the Barking Habit - Ideas?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:56

Have you taught him to bark on command? If so teach the quiet command from there. Also try having visitors more frequently. If you have someone willing have them come over and stay a few minutes and than come back 20-30 minutes later to get him used to having guests.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 10:02

I tried putting him outside and he got so worked up he near ran through the door! When I let him in he was worse than before. But I know what your saying should work and is a good idea. My boy is just a bit strange! He does eveeennntually stop, but it is because he has wore himself out (and me at the same time lol)

I haven't taught to bark on command. That's is something I could really look into. I'll have to look up the technique as I've never taught a dog this before.

Thanks for your ideas both of you Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down