Walk troubles

3 posters

Go down

Sad Walk troubles

Post by Eris Wed Jan 23 2013, 13:04

On Monday I was taking Lizzy out for her second walk of the day, and what do I come across? Three collies, two of which are off lead. Normally only one is off, but for some reason this other one was too.

I hate dogs off leads on roads at the best of times, but this was one was worse as it immediately bounded over to a very upset Lizzy. She's been a bit worse with other dogs recently, and she's never liked dogs approaching when she's on lead.

Needless to say, she had a bit of a growl. Just a warning, which she did escalate slightly when he didn't get the message. What worried me most, was when he started posturing and then growling. I would have walked on at the start, but Lizzy was stuck against a wall, frozen in place.

Luckily, she saw a moment to make her escape, and when she ran away this other dog finally went back to his owner. There was no apology, and he wasn't put on a lead...

I've had trouble with these dogs before, and it's just getting ridiculous. All I can say is, thank god I didn't have Roger with me. Then I think there may well have been a scrap, she's very protective of her puppy at the moment.

And today, I was walking a path in a wooded area, and come across an airedale terrier and gsd. The owners are on the adjacent stubble field. As Lizzy is scared of gsds and will charge up and have a growl, I put her on lead. Unfortunately she was getting much better with them, even to the point of playing, but since Loki died she lost alot of confidence. Anyway, these two dogs come charging up, and she's doing everything she can to make them go away. No attempt at recall from the owners, no apology. Really not what she needs.

Later on I came across another gsd, patterdale and on lead collie. Of course, Lizzy went on her lead. Lizzy was really good here and said hello to the collie (owners asked if they could approach) who unfortunately decided to have a go at her. But, she pretty much ignored the gsd...I was impressed. I really didn't mind that the collie was a little aggressive, as the owners were bothering to control him.

Anyway, that's my little (large) rant about out of control dogs over. If you read this far, well done.
Eris
Eris
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Walk troubles

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23 2013, 13:17

I don't mind people having their dogs off lead but I think it is common sense and courtesy that if they see another dog on lead or being put on lead they should do the same. Unless I am in an open safe area Logan is never off the lead as I have had so much bother where I live with out of control dogs.

I watched two women's three Schnauzers attack/bite a poor girls "terrified" Border Collie yesterday on a walk. The two women didn't even turn to call their dogs away from her. I kept my distance because Logan wouldn't have handled the situation well. When they left the girl alone she was very distressed.

I believe if people can't control their dogs they should never be off the lead.

Sorry to hear you had similar issues!

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Jan 23 2013, 13:32

Im the same, i always put tyke back on the lead when there is an approaching dog out of saftey, peace of mind and been polite. Out of previous experiance if its a busy day with kids and dogs i keep tyke on a lead not because i am worried about him doing harm but just over people giving me 'the look' haha.

I once saw a dog who was a very randy boy and it just kept running off an humping anything, you could see other dog owners and dog very distressed and the randy dog owner just walked on as nothing was happening!! some owners dnt have the sense they were born with.

sorry to hear about the above Sad
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 23 2013, 13:37

Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with loose dogs i have had this too this week while out with Rocky, they were two Great Danes off lead and I saw them again this morning and the owner still didn't put them on the lead when they saw us.

Luckily I was able to avoid getting too close and made a diversion. They knew they were getting Rocky stressed the other day. Just makes my blood boil sometimes. I just think it's common courtesy to put the dog on the lead while you get past them.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Eris Wed Jan 23 2013, 14:54

The mind boggles. Until I had my own dogs I always thought everyone knew the 'if you see a dog on a lead, don't let yours approach' rule. It was what my parents always told me...

I try to get mine to interact with others as much as possible, but if Lizzy approaches too enthusiastically she gets called back and to heel until she's at a distance where she'll do a calm greeting. Same with little Roger. If I have any doubts about them, or another dog. On lead they go.

I feel for all staffy owners, as undoubtedly we'll be the ones at fault when something happens
Eris
Eris

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down