I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy

+2
Ben
charlie
6 posters

Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy

Post by charlie Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:28

HI everyOne

Thanks for your time, I just have a few quick questions regarding my dog, I have had him since 6 weeks old, and when i bought him , i was told he was a staffy, and both his parents were staffies, but when i asked for papers, He couldnt show me the, and I never got papers for him, I would be honoured if anyone could help me with identifying him please, Thanks, his name is Jett
charlie
charlie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jett
Dog(s) Ages : 5month 3weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty SOrry , here are the pics,i had some troubles b4

Post by charlie Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:33

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/95/50/71/img_0112.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/95/50/71/img_0113.jpg
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty Re: I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy

Post by charlie Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:38

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/95/50/71/img_0114.jpg
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty Re: I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy

Post by Ben Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:39

Hmm. Looks like a mix to me tbh. Kinda hard for me to say. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty PLease be Honest

Post by charlie Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:47

I rather Know the truth BUt this will not him in any way, he will always be Our dog no mater what, Big Grin We just wanted to know so when we breed him, we can tell others the truth about his lineage, he is very very smart, very agile, STarting to get very chunky, and have though trademark staffy smile , I ljust love it! Please any help or advice will be great, also, h is starting to lose a bit of air around the insides of his hind legs, Should thatbe looked into straight away, Sorry for somany questions, I only just found this site, and have been looking for a good staffy site for 6 months, I will pass this site to others i know also who loves staffies and own one as well,
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:52

It's really hard to tell when they are still pups, although by the look of those pictures he looks crossed to me, I wouldn't know what with though. And don't take my word for it as I am hopeless with determining cross breeds, I have made many mistakes before Laughing But it is a fair guess that if you have no KC rego papers that he most probably is crossed with something else.. He is a gorgeous pup though and I'm sure you love him regardless of whether or not he is full Staffy Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:52

Hair loss could be many things. Did you change foods recently? Sometimes that can cause this. Also, is he itchy or acting different? Lastly, you can check for fleas or mites as this can happen and under the armpits is common area to show.

Welcome to the site!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:53

Hi & I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 23:54

He definitely has a lot of Staffy in him Big Grin

May I ask why you would ever want to breed him though? Have you been to the rescues centres and seen how many cross bred staffies there are many of which are being pts daily?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 00:14

I'm sorry if that sounded blunt, my girl is not registered either, so I'm not being a snob about crossbreeds, my girl very well could be crossed too, but without both parents being registered your pup and any future pups produced are all staffy crosses and our rescues are full of them..

Back to top Go down

I have had my Dog for 5months 3weeks now and was wondering if anyone could help identify if he is a staffy Empty No problems

Post by charlie Thu Nov 29 2012, 00:48

Its just i live in Australia,brisbane and there isnt that as many dogs in the rescue centres where i live as there would be in the US or sydney, Though 1 dog in a rescue center is one too much, here, i couldn't find a staffy there so i had to search and buy one, ITS very hard to get a pure bred dog in Australia,Especially when you dont know too many people in the Dog community, Thanks for your comment, and i will get him a mate, only if he needs more company cause i am away in the mines again, I am a engineer in the mines, but have recently been moved back to the city to the head office, But if i have to fly up for a few days, i would want him to have company , cause my wife doesnt really like dogs, she wil feed him though , She thinks i give the dog tooo much attention chatterbox
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 00:57

I am from Sydney and there are plenty here Sad It is heartbreaking how many are pts.. I know he is still a pup and there is a still a while before you could breed him even if you wanted to, I hope in that time you can check out some of the rescues and have a look at just how many staffy x's there are and change your mind about breeding your boy Big Grin He can still have a mate for companionship without adding to death toll Wink

Anyway he is a lovely looking boy and I'm sure you will miss him when you go back to the mines Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 04:13

Looks like a cross to me. Beautiful dog though, great colour too Smile

About the breeding, it's a touchy subject, but we all want the best for dogs, and there are so many people out there who breed their dogs without doing the proper health checks, just to make money at the expense of the puppies' health. And ones that don't find (good) homes will be abandoned or taken to rescue shelters. I'm not saying you want to breed your dog just for profit or that you don't care, just that there are lots of downsides to it, particularly with a dog that isn't KC-registered and whose background you don't really know.

You'll never be 100% sure whether he's a pure Staff or a cross, or what he's mixed with, so I know you want answers, but you'll just have to love his mystery Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 05:34

Looks like a cross to me as well but impossible to say for sure without papers.

Welcome from us and Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 06:28

Hello and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin

He looks like a cross to me too, but nevertheless a very handsome boy and a very high percentage of staffy in that cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:27

He looks like a cross to me but with Stafford in him and maybe Bull Terrier. He is very cute and a lovely colour Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:34

He is a cross breed , yes there is staffy bull in him but he is not a full Staffy for me the ears give it away, im sure though he will make a wonderfull pet .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:43

Lovely color to him.
Defo a mixed breed. Can see the staffy in him and his ears and long snout remind me of my friends GSD cross.

Who knows, who cares ?! He looks lovely natured, bet u adore him.

With regard to breeding. Don't. If u breed him, ur no better than the byb u got him from.

Love him, that's all u need to do Smile
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Nov 29 2012, 09:53

Welcome from us and miley Big Grin
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 10:04

If a breeder lets you take a pup at 6 weeks old and refuses to give papers its more than likely they are a back yard breeder and you have been had. Unfortunately without the papers you will never be able to identify him and he may be a cross.

Also, why do you want to breed him? Has he had all his health tests? Are you willing to keep bitches for a few weeks if possible so there is a successful mating? (it is not just wam bam thank you mam)

What if he becomes aggressive to a bitch and hurts her? (Which can be quite common with staffs) can you pay for the treatment of the bitch? What if something happened to the bitch/owner, can you take the pups?

These are all questions you need to have YES to. But i don't think you should breed a potentially cross and unreg dog, purely because you just don't know his history and don't know what medical/behavioural problems can arise from his parentage.

He is a lovely boy though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 12:41

He's lovely, but yes, I'd say he's a cross.

charlie wrote:We just wanted to know so when we breed him, we can tell others the truth about his lineage

Please don't breed from him. As he's part stafford you would nee to have the tests done for hereditary conditions prevalent in the breed - http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtbc/health_issues.htm. These are expensive tests but absolutely necessary. You would need to find a suitable bitch, and if she is also stafford or part stafford, she would also need to have had the relevant tests. You should also make enquiries from the bitch owner as to whether there are suitable forever homes lined up for potentially 13 or 14 pups!

Jackieb wrote:
With regard to breeding. Don't. If u breed him, ur no better than the byb u got him from.

I'd have to agree with this. Harsh, I know, but true. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie Thu Nov 29 2012, 13:29

I will, have to say," breeding him "was a bad choice of words, worried In all honesty i will get him a partner and company, but i wasnt intending to breed for for any purpose mentioned, and i didnt really mean to say breed, and i will refrain from saying it next time, But i think if he was to have puppies later i wanted to be able to tell others what he was, and i dont mind if he is or isnt pure, Just wanted to know, and i definitely got some answer's, ANd please rest assured, I will never treat him like a Animal, He is like my Child! and i understand, everything mentioned here, I do have a soft spot dogs!
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Thu Nov 29 2012, 21:29

If you really want to know you can do a DNA breed identification test.

Harley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 22:48

charlie wrote:I will, have to say," breeding him "was a bad choice of words, worried In all honesty i will get him a partner and company, but i wasnt intending to breed for for any purpose mentioned, and i didnt really mean to say breed, and i will refrain from saying it next time, But i think if he was to have puppies later i wanted to be able to tell others what he was, and i dont mind if he is or isnt pure, Just wanted to know, and i definitely got some answer's, ANd please rest assured, I will never treat him like a Animal, He is like my Child! and i understand, everything mentioned here, I do have a soft spot dogs!

But having puppies is the problem. Getting him a companion is great, I'm sure he'd love that, and who doesn't want a whole pack of dogs if they could afford lots? But if they did have puppies, you'd have to find homes for them all, and they'd have been born from dogs whose breed you're not 100% sure of (and without papers, you unfortunately can never be sure). You don't know if there's any health problems that could develop in the puppies, or even the temperament. There's a LOT to think about when it comes to such things, and there are so many dogs that are abandoned because people buy them on impulse, there's no point adding to it for the sake of your dog having a companion. If you did get a companion for them one of them would have to be neutered. Or I guess you can have two unneutered dogs of different sexes and just be very careful, I'm not sure, but that sounds extremely diffficult. Nonetheless, I'd get him a companion while taking out the factor of having puppies. But to your original question, you'll never be certain what he is...except that he's gorgeous Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie Fri Nov 30 2012, 01:26

Thanks everyone for their generous replies, I think i will just stick to having HIM and him only Big Grin, after reading several articles about dogs, I dont really wanna see any dogs i know in them articles
charlie
charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down