billy pulling on the lead when he sees people

5 posters

Go down

billy pulling on the lead when he sees people Empty billy pulling on the lead when he sees people

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11 2011, 22:48

when we take billy for a walk and he sees people he really pulls on the lead to go and see them his tail is wagging at the monet i turn him around and try and walk but he is so strong, will he grow out of it, if not what can i do to stop it , at the moment he is 11kg but soon he will be over 25kg what then if i cannot stop it now, can anyone help me please

Back to top Go down

billy pulling on the lead when he sees people Empty Re: billy pulling on the lead when he sees people

Post by Cornish-Muscle Fri Feb 11 2011, 22:53

Please don't wait for him to grow out of it, Molly is 13 month old now and I'm almost at my wits end over her pulling, start training with him now. It'll save your arms and probably keep you sane! I'd suggest using a toy or a treat to almost lure him away, then when he's calm and settled calmly approach the people and let him meet them if they wish.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

billy pulling on the lead when he sees people Empty Re: billy pulling on the lead when he sees people

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:00

I'd agree with that. Or if that doesn't work turn him to face you & make him sit. Don't let him greet anyone until he's calmer & keep him in the sit while they stroke him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:04

Shame I can't practice what I preach lol
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevie b Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:11

Agree with all that but also as soon as you see someone in the distance be aware of him noticing them too! You will see his ears * up and his attension focus on them,as soon as this happens you Need to correct him!! That way he won't get as excited by the time you get to them! But try and keep calm within yourself at the same time or he will know you are nervous about meeting them and all will be lost!! You will notice him noticing them!
Stevie b
Stevie b

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sidney
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:39

Stevie b wrote:Agree with all that but also as soon as you see someone in the distance be aware of him noticing them too! You will see his ears * up and his attension focus on them,as soon as this happens you Need to correct him!! That way he won't get as excited by the time you get to them! But try and keep calm within yourself at the same time or he will know you are nervous about meeting them and all will be lost!! You will notice him noticing them!

Moos ears go flat to the side and her head goes down, like she's smelling the floor and then the * goes ten to a dozen and by that point 0-2 secs shes greeted them! Thats off lead and vey embaressing! But have her signs lol
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by lolalollypop Sat Feb 12 2011, 10:39

lola does the "stance" as soon as she does it i call her .......then call her again and again then she eventualy comes to me .i only realy panick if theres a child in a pram cus i have visions of her trying to get to the child to lick it.soon as i see a pram its lead time.
lolalollypop
lolalollypop
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
billy pulling on the lead when he sees people Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola esme
Dog Gender(s) : females

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 10:46

lolalollypop wrote:i only realy panick if theres a child in a pram cus i have visions of her trying to get to the child to lick it.soon as i see a pram its lead time.

Bandit was a horror for that - he hated children crying, especially babies & if there was a child crying in a pram he'd put his front feet on the edge and have a look. He always looked so worried, but of course not every mum wants a 3.5 stone staffy jumping up at her baby's pram with his mouth open in that staffy grin! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by lolalollypop Sat Feb 12 2011, 11:20

lol very true dont get me wrong i trust her 99 percent (i save 1 percent cus you can never know for sure) but i think id panic if a staffy was getting in my sons pushchair when i he was a baby
lolalollypop
lolalollypop

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 11:43

Yes, I know what you mean! I always put Bandit on a lead if there were kids around cause you never know if they're gonna knock one of them over!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 15:26

thanks for the advice gonna give it a try

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Sun Feb 13 2011, 02:07

im having the same problem with Bruiser. He gets excited when he sees other dogs, but goes crazy when he sees people....this morning for example me and my partner took him for a walk over the lakes and there was a few scattered groups of people walking about and he was tryin to pull and lunge to get to them, we have been tryin to walk him in the opposite direction but we no thats not the answer!
Hes so obidient indoors, but when it comes to other people being around it all goes out the window!
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13 2011, 17:35

raverhayley wrote:im having the same problem with Bruiser. He gets excited when he sees other dogs, but goes crazy when he sees people....this morning for example me and my partner took him for a walk over the lakes and there was a few scattered groups of people walking about and he was tryin to pull and lunge to get to them, we have been tryin to walk him in the opposite direction but we no thats not the answer!
Hes so obidient indoors, but when it comes to other people being around it all goes out the window!

Ditto. Charlie walks nicely on his lead until we see another dog or person coming and then he strains like mad to get to them to say hi. I'm actually cautious when I let him off lead now cos if he sees another dog or person now he goes charging up to them and jumps all over them. Most people dont mind but there are a few who have understandably been very * off and he's been attacked by an off lead rottie and jack russells cos he's just too exuberant. I dont want to keep him on the lead all the time cos he loves to run and play, but its so frustrating trying to call him back to me and him paying absolutely no attention and jumping all over everybody and everything in sight. I'm going to get a long line so that he can have his freedom but if he wont come when I call, I'll just reel him in.

Back to top Go down

Post by lolalollypop Sun Feb 13 2011, 18:44

i think its very hard for us to let our babys "yes lola is my baby lol" off the lead cus if other people arent panicking at them running up its us worrying about what might happen while they are off.
its strange but owners of other breeds dont seem to share the same view as they all seem to let there dogs off.i think we all scoff at the idea of staffys being dangerous but subconciousely (i cant spell it) i think it niggles in the back of our minds what evreyone else says about staffys wich in a way causes us to panick. not so much about what our dogs will do but what way the other walkers will react? am i making sence or talking crap lol?
lolalollypop
lolalollypop

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13 2011, 19:08

You've Got it right john.I put charlie on cos I'm always worried how other people are gonna react to charlie wanting to say hello. And I do worry about what will happen if he gets into a fight cos he's had a close call twice now and next time he might just snap instead of taking it, also the sorry of him knocking children over when he's saying hello!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13 2011, 20:15

I know Dempsey isn't good with other dogs - he isn't particularly aggressive, but he is very dominant. So he's on lead unless there are no dogs near enough for him to bother with. Mind you, it's only the last couple of months I've been able to trust him not to make a bee line straight at any dog within his eyesight! Now, as long as other dogs are at least 20 yards away I can let him off as long as I keep an eye on him.

He doesn't 'do' recalls too well though, so I've taught him a pretty solid 'stay' so I can catch up & attach his lead if necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down