+3
Mia05
Nathan
Amelie
7 posters

Go down

PULLING ON THE LEAD  Empty PULLING ON THE LEAD

Post by audrey Fri Aug 15 2014, 14:38

My 4 month old staffy pulls so much when on the lead .I have put her a harness on but this does not make any difference --how do I get her to walk by me and not pull .worried that when she gets full grown I will not be able to hold on to her .

audrey
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

http://www.cuddlytamebirds.com

Back to top Go down

PULLING ON THE LEAD  Empty Re: PULLING ON THE LEAD

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15 2014, 15:01

Hiya, Have you tried walking a couple of paces then stop, sit and treat. Or stop and walk the other way method? If you have something tasty ie sausage or ham and let her sniff it but keep it in your hand by your chest. Remain her attention and after a few paces stop tell her to sit and treat her. It worked for me but does take time. I also use like a halti, mines a figure of 8 lead goes around the neck and up over the muzzle, so gently pulls their heads round if any pulling. But the training is really important firstly. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Fri Aug 15 2014, 15:28

Head halti or gentle leader, Worked wonders on my three, Swapped sides regularly and used it on and off, works a treat.

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Aug 15 2014, 15:41

Halti is the only thing that works for my two as well although i dont use it on most walks only if i need to go through town. Laska is pretty good without it but is always set off by Marleys excitment at seeing something like a leaf or a cloud or traffic cone, you get the picture  Laughing 
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 15 2014, 15:41

Collar and lead combo every time the dog pulls 
Pull them using the lead gently to the side with a firm no stop a few seconds try again worked for me and high praise when they obey you

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

PULLING ON THE LEAD  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by audrey Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:03

will try the reward training but its difficult with holding on to my other dog as well .she does not pull and walks well to heel -think the problem could be the pup keeps trying to get to the older dog and I,m keeping them separate

audrey

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : bitch

http://www.cuddlytamebirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Aug 15 2014, 20:04

I taught using a heel sit, get her in that position then take a step and heel sit again, progressing to two steps heal sit, three etc etc, it's a slow process at first but worked for me  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Thu Aug 28 2014, 07:52

Our puppy preschool taught us to treat AS we walk. Give her a soft treat (with a 'good' if you want) that she doesn't have to stop and eat so as to not distract them from the task at hand... walking. Hard when they are so little I know, but it worked wonders as they learn that good things happen if they stay by your side. She had it within a few walks. Now she always looks up at us whilst walking just to check she is doing the right thing. It's so cute.
Nalabala
Nalabala
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Aug 28 2014, 11:14

Aww thats brilliant

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

PULLING ON THE LEAD  B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

PULLING ON THE LEAD  Empty pulling on walks/walking to heal

Post by misspoppystaff Tue Jul 25 2017, 12:34

Hi there im new to this forum so i hope iv posted in the right place! I have Poppy my 7 month old staffy and im having real trouble with her pulling on the lead and lunging. We have taken her to training classes since 12 weeks old which she has learnt alot from and has got to socalise well with other dogs. We use a half check collar for her training and also out on walks sometimes, which does work but after all this time its still a case of constantly 'checking' along the walk which is difficult when i walk with my daughter in her pushchair. she also has a harness with the normal clip and the back of the shoulders which i prefer due to the comfort for her...however she pulls even more in this as its easier for her to do so! Im considering a gentle leader/halti type of harness....or getting one with the lead clip at the front for more control. Do you have any advise??
I understand its a case of persistance with the training to heal and she is a good learner, but the excitment of every little thing on a walk just gets the better of her! My bad back, shoulders and arms need a rest!

misspoppystaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 25 2017, 13:36

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Training and behaviour information

Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

PULLING ON THE LEAD  Pbucket Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
PULLING ON THE LEAD  Pbucket Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
PULLING ON THE LEAD  Pbucket You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
PULLING ON THE LEAD  Pbucket How to update your Profile information
PULLING ON THE LEAD  Pbucket See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 25 2017, 13:44

Hi and welcome from me and mine.

You'll see from the above welcome message that we've got some information sheets that you might find helpful in general. There is one that specifically deals with teaching loose lead walking

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t66712-teaching-loose-lead-walking#1022186

For me, it's a question of understanding and training. Halti type equipment can be effective but dogs generally don't like them and I personally don't want to use something that my dog feels uncomfortable in.

Don't get hung up on heel, all you need is a loose lead. Teaching your dog to want to walk with you is good but don't worry if she's at heel or just near.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down