Could it be a reason for adoption?

+3
Taryn
naidean
pongy
7 posters

Go down

Could it be a reason for adoption? Empty Could it be a reason for adoption?

Post by pongy Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:11

We bought Cassie a boomer ball for christmas and last night my oh took it out of the plastic packaging to wrap it for her (yes sad i know lol), I was upstairs and my oh dropped the ball, cue Cassie pouncing on it lol, well listening to the noise from upstairs sounded like Cassie was ripping my oh to pieces (or is that wishful thinking day dreaming ). Before last night we haven't heard her bark really. she was really enjoying playing so we let her keep it, well everytime she plays with it she barks, growls and when it got stuck under the couch this morning she was snarling at it with frustration. Now my point is if someone had young children and they were daft enough to leave them together unsupervised and heard that noise near a child from another room, would that be scary enough for others to put her into rescue? especially with all the predjudism of staffords about. Maybe it's something people should be made aware of when they look for puppies, that when they grow up they will have noisy fun and it's normal not vicious, just something to consider, what do you think?

Last edited by dave742 on Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing words out lol)
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Could it be a reason for adoption? Empty Re: Could it be a reason for adoption?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:16

Laughing Sounds like she loves her xmas pressie xx

I think there are a lot of things people don't think about when buying a puppy, they just see a cute puppy and buy on impulse Sad In a few months they are grown and need exercise and vet visits and more and more food, and yes I am sure some have been given up for adoption due to the noises they make being misinterpreted as aggression Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by naidean Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:21

Quite possibly, the noise sometimes can sound horrendous and to people who have little knowledge about the breed it can sound like they are attacking.
It would be a good idea to make potential adoptees (is that a word??) aware that staffs are very vocal. My Charlie cries when he wants to play or gets excited, we've had some very strange looks. Star sounds evil when she and Charlie are playing. Its made me look twice several times.
naidean
naidean
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie, Star
Dog(s) Ages : 14months, 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:55

Anybody who doesn't know that a dog growls when it plays maybe shouldn't have a dog, or should have looked into getting a dog a bit more carefully!

Forget the boomer ball, my friend's Maltese snarls something terrible when she plays tug o war!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 10:56

My girl does the same thing when she's playing and it's much more noise than required but someone who got a staff knowing staffs wouldn't care. Someone who didn't know them? Sure, it would sound scary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:36

Tilly and Tommy are definitely at their most vocal when playing with their Boomer Balls, we had to put a curfew on them and only in reasonable daytime hours , once didn't realise the balls were in the garden as my daughter had been playing with them and not picked them up after , let them both out for a wee in the early hours and then , well you can guess..........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:37

dave742 wrote:We bought Cassie a boomer ball for christmas and last night my oh took it out of the plastic packaging to wrap it for her (yes sad i know lol), I was upstairs and my oh dropped the ball, cue Cassie pouncing on it lol, well listening to the noise from upstairs sounded like Cassie was ripping my oh to pieces (or is that wishful thinking day dreaming ). Before last night we haven't heard her bark really. she was really enjoying playing so we let her keep it, well everytime she plays with it she barks, growls and when it got stuck under the couch this morning she was snarling at it with frustration. Now my point is if someone had young children and they were daft enough to leave them together unsupervised and heard that noise near a child from another room, would that be scary enough for others to put her into rescue? especially with all the predjudism of staffords about. Maybe it's something people should be made aware of when they look for puppies, that when they grow up they will have noisy fun and it's normal not vicious, just something to consider, what do you think?

And forgot to add , their loss is your gain she is a beauty Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:46

memphis makes to most almighty racket when he got his boomer
and Dave done the same thing as you 2 in the morning pitch black memphis going hell for leather running round with his boomer making a right noise took me about 10mins to get him in due to the dark and bedroom lights going on all over the place rolling on the floor Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 19:34

Loki gets angry at his treat-dispensing ball and always barks and growls at it to tell it to give him treats Laughing. I'm sure it's a reason some people put their dogs up for adoption. I mean, some parents will overreact to anything, even if a puppy nips their kid. Which, yeah, you might get upset about, but if you don't know beforehand what puppies are like, or what dogs are like when they play, then you're going to freak out over every little thing. Shame, really. I think anyone looking to buy a dog should have to take a test Big Grin but then the number of irresponsible breeders would shoot up, I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Wed Nov 28 2012, 07:56

Dave you are indeed a man of fine taste,yes Cassie is beautiful but so are all her breed,they are all equally beautiful, and that video link you posted just prove there are horrible people out there, but they are out weighed by us staffy lovers, at least 7000 of us on here Big Grin
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed Nov 28 2012, 10:25

oh i know, romeo doesnt snarl, but he makes all sorts of grunting sounds. his growl is almost always resrved for agression, but he will play bark rather loudly
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed Nov 28 2012, 12:16

Miley is very noisy when she plays with her ball growling at it while chasing round the room banging into everything. She is even worse playing tug of war god knows what the neighbours must think. She is so funny to watch Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Sar H Thu Nov 29 2012, 20:16

When Maddie plays tug of war in the garden (or the kitchen doh ) the neighbours must think we are being mauled. She sounds dreadful, but the waggy tail gives away her real mood Laughing
I can imagine some people being intimidated by it, she can sound really nasty!!
Sar H
Sar H
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Maddie
Dog(s) Ages : about 9
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Sat Dec 01 2012, 00:09

When Maggie plays with her tug rope she also sounds awful Smile I can remember the first time my mum came over and Maggie wanted to play with it she was really growling and snarling my mum dropped the rope and wouldn't play with her anymore until I explained she's only playing and it isn't her being aggressive. All I have to do is say sit and she gives the rope up just like that Smile My mum is now fully in love with Maggie and knows whats she's like and will happily play tug of war with her now Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Dec 01 2012, 00:44

EmLou28 wrote:When Maggie plays with her tug rope she also sounds awful Smile I can remember the first time my mum came over and Maggie wanted to play with it she was really growling and snarling my mum dropped the rope and wouldn't play with her anymore until I explained she's only playing and it isn't her being aggressive. All I have to do is say sit and she gives the rope up just like that Smile My mum is now fully in love with Maggie and knows whats she's like and will happily play tug of war with her now Smile

Em, my mum is still scared of Cassie and she is not allowed at her house and i will not put Cassie in her crate in her OWN home while they come visiting, and i have seen my family twice in 3 months, so i'm kind of jealous that your mum loves Maggie and just wish my family would take the time to get to know her,but then again their loss because they have never had a staffy snog lol
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Dec 02 2012, 05:34

When my kids have friends over and the dogs begin to wrestle, the visiting kids get very nervous. I got in trouble for answering one of the little kids questions today... "what are they doing?" my answer "I think you are making them hungry..." To bad my wife heard me... >Smile
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Sun Dec 02 2012, 16:32

[/quote] Em, my mum is still scared of Cassie and she is not allowed at her house and i will not put Cassie in her crate in her OWN home while they come visiting, and i have seen my family twice in 3 months, so i'm kind of jealous that your mum loves Maggie and just wish my family would take the time to get to know her,but then again their loss because they have never had a staffy snog lol[/quote]

Definately their loss dont even worry about it families aren't all there cracked up to be anyway Smile My mum calls Maggie her grandchild which makes me laugh. I am lucky with them and Maggie though mum lets me take Maggie down to theirs and they have a very grumpy lab that hates other dogs but we work around it Smile The only time she's wary is when Maggie gets too close to Molly (their dog) but only because she doesn't want either of them to get hurt. Sadly Molly was attacked a couple of times by a staffy who was a bit of a liability (owner was an idiot) so don't think that goes in Maggie's favour with Molly and her being mates but there we go. I can however remember when we first got Maggie I was really worried about telling my dad, even though I'm a grown woman and own my own home I was still scared about him finding out Laughing shouldn't have worried Maggie and him are best of mates now Maggie adores her "Grandpa" haha
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down