Kathy
Jackieb
Stokester
9 posters

Go down

Dog Guard. Empty Dog Guard.

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 16:52

Hi all,
When taking Gary out in the car to walk him at our local Nature park, he jumps all around the car , not only is he getting all my car dirty but he gets in the way of the gear stick and jumps over me whilst driving which clearly is not safe.
Its not that hes nervous or doesnt like the car he seems happy enough and is just been a playfull puppy so I dont want to stop taking him out in the car or stop taking him the natur park as its really good there for meeting other dogs I want him to meet other dogs at a puppy so when hes older he doesnt try to fight other doggys Smile
Well ive had a look on the internet for a dog guard so i can have Gary in the boot and im suprised that for a peice of metal frame they cost £79.99which i think is ridiculous. ive got a few questions for you all Smile

1) can you get them cheaper?
2) has anybody attempted at making there own?
3) would anybody reccomend a dog guard?
Stokester
Stokester
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Dog Guard. Empty Re: Dog Guard.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 16:57

You could get a seatbelt instead. it clips onto the harness and you can put him in the back seat and he will be able to sit and stand but not run around as much. Much cheaper (like 4.99 lol)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:01

Just wanna say 'Gary' is an awesome name for a staffy x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:04

Jackieb wrote:Just wanna say 'Gary' is an awesome name for a staffy x

lol it so is

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:06

I have a hammock thing (think 5.99 from Wilko) to go in the back seat , fastens between the front and back headrests so thats the dirt sorted out its like this

Dog Guard. 81qrFm558ML

and then as Hayley says a seat belt adaptor for the harness like this (got mine from Pates at home for 5.99 I think (just a pic mine is used on the rear seat

Dog Guard. KGrHqJlgE7Gi98VFoBPG3iiow60_35

If you really want a dog guard I did find this one on amazon I was going to buy , had good reviews but then decided I liked them better on the back seat

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/rac-cargo-dog-guard-jumbo_1_163941.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:17

Thanks for all your input,
I think ill be looking at getting a seat belt clip for hi harnes like yours Dave,
id rather him to be in view and i think it will be safer than having him in the boot and probably have him more at easy if he can see me Smile . thinking about it if i have to emergency brake, or get bumped into from behind then the dog could get seriously hurt in the boot. fastened to a seat is defo a better option Smile to stop my car getting caked in md i can get blankets down and keep an old towel in my boot to dry him off before he gets in Smile
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:19

We also have a seat belt clip for Rocky which is like the one in the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Pet-Universal-Seat-Restraint/dp/B003ZG6RKS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353863891&sr=8-6
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 17:22

Stokester wrote:Thanks for all your input,
I think ill be looking at getting a seat belt clip for hi harnes like yours Dave,
id rather him to be in view and i think it will be safer than having him in the boot and probably have him more at easy if he can see me Smile . thinking about it if i have to emergency brake, or get bumped into from behind then the dog could get seriously hurt in the boot. fastened to a seat is defo a better option Smile to stop my car getting caked in md i can get blankets down and keep an old towel in my boot to dry him off before he gets in Smile

I used to have blankets down etc but the hairs still get everywhere and then it has to have a good clean if I'm going to the office or sometimes transporting colleagues and customers when they are suited and booted so this hammock idea is the better option for me, there is also a zip on it so you can have it hang over half a seat so a passenger can still get in the back and use the seat belt without taking it out

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sun Nov 25 2012, 18:36

If a dog is determined, it had better be a good quality dog guard. Big Grin

I bought a 40 quid one and one of my fosters ripped it down in no time at all.

I now use a giant travel crate in the boot, which works wonders but comes with its own limitations of taking up all the space, and the boot not being ideal in the event of a rear-end collision.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 19:08

Dave wrote:
Stokester wrote:Thanks for all your input,

I used to have blankets down etc but the hairs still get everywhere and then it has to have a good clean if I'm going to the office or sometimes transporting colleagues and customers when they are suited and booted so this hammock idea is the better option for me, there is also a zip on it so you can have it hang over half a seat so a passenger can still get in the back and use the seat belt without taking it out

Id have problems with keeping Gary still, he likes to always be around me. when im driving he jumps up and sits on my knees which i dont want because he restricts my access to vehicle componments, and i have to drive ten to two which i dont find comfortable.
i think the best option is a seat cover, a blanket to keep him comfortable and the harness clip. when ever hes going out hes got his harness on anyway. i did want to use a neck collar on him but sometimes he deosnt want to play walkies and tries to tug back which the collar can go over his neck so its gotta be harness.

Im trying to get into the habbit of taking him in the car before i take him on walks even if im just going walk him around the block, ill drive around the block then walk him because i dont want him associating the car with stuff he doesnt like for example going to the vets for a jab.
ive had him in the car alot and he seems comfortable been in the car i just cant get him to stay still.
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Sun Nov 25 2012, 19:48

Sorry wouldnt know about car staff but want to say that gary is such a cute pup, his expression makes me smile every time and it sounds like he has a very loving and careful daddy... Smile
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:03

i do love him Smile hes not just a pet to me, hes the start to me and my partners family. I wouldnt forgive my self if anything happend to him because i neglected his welfare and safety for the sake of something i can get for less than 5quid.
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Nov 26 2012, 00:54

Dave wrote:I have a hammock thing (think 5.99 from Wilko) to go in the back seat , fastens between the front and back headrests so thats the dirt sorted out its like this

How is that one Dave, I had one from amazon the zip kept coming undone under tension even with the seatbelt at the minimum length to restrict Ledgers movement (its now a bike cover in my yard Laughing )

Also need a carrabina (sp) attachment thing as two or three times he has released the belt by pressing the button (he even released mine once after doing his own) and using the ezy dog thing he just twists himself up in the seatbelt

Im now debating whether front or back seats are the place to put him (obviously disable airbag if in the front)
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by volsung Mon Nov 26 2012, 11:30

one quick search later ...........

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog_Guard_£16

2. http://www.dogstrustgifts.com/acatalog/Safety-Harness-Size-G.html

hope one or both of links help Wink
volsung
volsung
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stash
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 20

http://www.deaconhost.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:24

jshrew wrote:
Dave wrote:I have a hammock thing (think 5.99 from Wilko) to go in the back seat , fastens between the front and back headrests so thats the dirt sorted out its like this

How is that one Dave, I had one from amazon the zip kept coming undone under tension even with the seatbelt at the minimum length to restrict Ledgers movement (its now a bike cover in my yard Laughing )

Also need a carrabina (sp) attachment thing as two or three times he has released the belt by pressing the button (he even released mine once after doing his own) and using the ezy dog thing he just twists himself up in the seatbelt

Im now debating whether front or back seats are the place to put him (obviously disable airbag if in the front)

All fine for me no complaints

EDIT - and personally for me I would never let the dog ride in the front seat even with the attachment, if you have it short enough but long enough to allow the dog a small amount of movement then the seat belt buckle retainer is on the right side thereby allowing the dog to still make its way across to you on the driving seat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Mon Nov 26 2012, 16:58

Hayley wrote:You could get a seatbelt instead. it clips onto the harness and you can put him in the back seat and he will be able to sit and stand but not run around as much. Much cheaper (like 4.99 lol)

This is the same method we use for Miley she is not a good traveller and likes to nosey out the car windows and slobbers all over. We also got a seat cover (waterproof) that slips oner the back seat headrests a lifesaver when she is wet. The cover was from ebay £5.99
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Mon Nov 26 2012, 20:04

We use a crate to transport Sophie in, which we sit on the back seats and secure using the seatbelts.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 20:08

I bought a guard from ebay which is put behind the front seats, i think it was about a tenner theres loads on ebay to nosey at

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down