A trained behaviour??

Go down

A trained behaviour?? Empty A trained behaviour??

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:24

I don't know if i have mentioned it before or not but Taz has this aggressive/obsession with the rock hand sign where your pinky/index finger stick out but the other two fingers and thumb are folded in. I just can not seem to get it out of him, i'v stopped his natural aggression towards dogs on walks and in general but i'm having trouble with this trained aggression of his I had him when he 11 and half weeks old so where it came from i do not know.
I stumbled onto it on accident when my sister done it me he went crazy towards her and ever since when ever she moves her hands he staring at her really silent kind of warning, when i do the symbol he whines and jumps up he gets really uncomfortable but when my sis or other people do it he goes nuts and tries to get to them. I got a video of how he react when i do it. me and sis have worked with him, as in thie hand symbol means treats/pets and lovings so when the your hand is on him he is fine but move the hand away in this symbol and he goes for it yet again.
I know what most will say well don't do the hand signal but my niece sometimes does it by accident when trying to make a fist plus she loves her mum and dad rock and roll music and moves.

but also its doesn't start when the symbol is there he is just to keen on watching hands intensely his ears go back body crouches tail is straight he goes into a stalking position and it freaks alot of people out.

Any tips would be great, I know how to train natural aggression but trained aggression is alot different physcology wise which is what i'm used to.

Manly looking for those who have worked with guard dogs etc.

Back to top Go down

A trained behaviour?? Empty Re: A trained behaviour??

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:32

Maybe try desensitising him over it? Make it so he associates the sign with a good thing, a treat or a toy.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:38

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Maybe try desensitising him over it? Make it so he associates the sign with a good thing, a treat or a toy.

thats what i hoped would work, i'v stopped my brother and sister from rough playing with him so he knows them as calm when they move their hands etc throw a treat give a toy but it has not worked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:26

I think gradual desensitising is the only way forward. Just keep making the sign & giving a treat simultaneously until he associates the sign with the treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:38

Caryll wrote:I think gradual desensitising is the only way forward. Just keep making the sign & giving a treat simultaneously until he associates the sign with the treat.

Thats what i was doing but then it started turning around, making the hand signal, giving the treat it was like i was rewarding him for his aggressive/obsessive behaviour and he started having attitude with me, so i treating him when he didn't react at all but thats hard because he reacts (not aggressive but simply too keen and waiting type of thing) to any hand movement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down